PDA

View Full Version : popped my recovery cherry today!

trekster
6th July 2013, 08:22 PM
Hello all,

Today got a call to go out wheeling, wife was keen so I was there! Bloody marvellous on the Coffs coast so just had to get out in it!

Met up with my mate and his mate to get into it. Following mates triton running hts and a 60 series toyota running possible lift and some bighorns, seems to be quite knowledgeable of the surrounding tracks so good to go.

Do a part track (Rover trail) we already done before, but a little bit more slippery then last time but all good, hit the tar and get onto Eastern boundary trail.

Easy travelling with not too much till they find a side track, both others are keen for a look so off the toyota goes to tackle it and see what its like, !st mus section walk in the park until he hits the next bit and bam, poor guys stuck well and truly. No sideways steering or rocking will get him out.

So we made the call for me to winch, shit I thought this setup hasn't been tested yet so I don't know how it will hold out (Setup is a cradle bolted across chassis rails with the winch bolted into it, Thing is this working winch was given to me by father in law as a few years back he winched a blanked into it and broke the 2 alignment rods that keep it straight. Warn told him wouldn't matter but because winch was bolting into his bar horizontally he couldn't get it to sit properly and wouldn't work. I used the one bar he had to set it in position and bolt it in but didn't know if alignment would hold under load)

1st effort was to test winch on triton under patrols weight and that passed with flying colours so it was up to me to traverse the track and try and get the guy out.

Winch #1 Got down there and wasn't left with much to work with, I stopped about 15m away from him but couldn't get closer or further back as had mud on either end of me. Spooled cable out 1st thing I said was no winching on towball ;) (I felt that as the recoverer I was able to set my own rules for what was to be done) hooked a shackle onto his towbar pin and hooked my cable on. With him reversing I winched in but only managed to start pulling myself towards him.

Winch #2 I moved back slight and tried some different ground to try and grip but track was quite soft and I started pulling towards him again.

Winch #3 made the decision to stick my snatch strap around a tree and into my towbar through pin and remember people saying the hook isn't a good idea to use, with the tree holding me I winched and got this poor sucker out and was extremely happy that the winch held the task well and relieved that we got him out. The front was in lower then the rear but it was up to his sill and another 20mm or so lower and he had water in his car...

Hoping this method was safe as it was all I had to work with at the time, No panic was taken and we thought out the best method with nobody in the area (left my wife and kids at the other car)

Will get the video off my mate when he uploads it.

attached is a picture of my car after I got back up the track after recovering.

Cheers,
Eric.

trekster
6th July 2013, 08:24 PM
probably lots of grammatical errors in that post, but I was excited to share my little adventure :D

outback
6th July 2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your post on this.

You have just proved I am an old timer. I would have done your #3 option first based on your initial description. But I wil admit I carry gear enough to do a 1:4 pull and hook the Troll to something solid as a second anchor point.

Glad you made it and came out better than the Tojo thing.

Trolatron
7th July 2013, 12:20 AM
Patrol saves the day again, good work mate. Hope you can get hold of the video to post up.

threedogs
7th July 2013, 09:47 AM
Great to hear you retrieved the Tojo safely, you may want to look at a recovery bag with tree truck protectors, winch extension straps.
Sheave for double line pulls etc, but little steps, practice, practice and more practice,
Only buy rated gear and keep it in good nick, EG straps get run over and need replacing a fair bit. Check and spray winch cable or save for Dyneema
rope now $180 for 30 mtrs of 10mm, so reasonably affordable. Look forward to the Vid,

trekster
7th July 2013, 11:45 AM
Great to hear you retrieved the Tojo safely, you may want to look at a recovery bag with tree truck protectors, winch extension straps.
Sheave for double line pulls etc, but little steps, practice, practice and more practice,
Only buy rated gear and keep it in good nick, EG straps get run over and need replacing a fair bit. Check and spray winch cable or save for Dyneema
rope now $180 for 30 mtrs of 10mm, so reasonably affordable. Look forward to the Vid,

Hi 3d,

Yes more gear will be on the way most definitely, I want to get a winch extension strap and tree trunk protector, a proper weighted dampened, already have the block to do a double line pull, will always buy rated gear and more then likely overrated stuff as I don't like to do things on the small.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

trekster
4th August 2013, 08:00 AM
Got the video and did a quick edit to put it all together!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIFt1FMX7w&feature=youtu.be

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

XT43
4th August 2013, 02:36 PM
Great job, at about the 2:04 mark you can see old mate didn't have his wheel straight which wouldn't have been helping your attempts out at all.

threedogs
4th August 2013, 04:19 PM
Poor tojo they all get hung up on their spring hangers, Classic rookie mistake don't know how many ppl want to turn the wheel,.
They should place some white out or white tape to let them know if wheels are straight.
Any recovery that's done with no damage to ppl or 4x4 has to be good, IMO

Clunk
4th August 2013, 04:58 PM
If there's no pics, then it didn't happen lol

Loops didn't see the video thread....... my apologies lmao

Motorculture sucks chocolate salty balls!!!! Bring back TAPPACRAP............