PDA

View Full Version : Welding hint needed

mudnut
29th June 2013, 06:56 PM
G,day all. I have just about finished my winch cradle, and am now ready to weld on the inside of the corners. The cradle is 10mm thick mild steel, and I have a welder which handles 3.2 rods. The trouble is that the weld will not stick, or penetrate into the corner. It will stick to one plate or the other. I have ground the surface clean, made the earth clamp secure. I have tried low amps, high amps, 2.5 rods, and tilting the plates 45 degrees, so I'm welding at the bottom of the V. But still, I'm getting bird turd instead of good weld like the outer welds. An hints on getting a good weld? Many thanks in advance.

Punderhead
29th June 2013, 07:57 PM
Are you weaving the welder of just trying a straight pass?

I'm only an apprentice, so the pros can correct me, but I believe the correct technique for an internal 90degree weld is to weave a half moon.

E.g. If you are welding left to right across the screen go like this.
((((((((((((((((((((((
Pause for a half second before you start the next half moon.
It should be easier with the v to the bottom as you said, however if you have. It sitting with one side vertical you will need to spend a little bit longer burning the rod onto the high side.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Cheers

BigRAWesty
29th June 2013, 08:13 PM
3.2 110A, 2.5's 90A
Keep the at a 45degree angle either way.. what rods are you using?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudnut
30th June 2013, 01:20 AM
I will try the pause at each end, thanks, Punderhead. I am using 3.2 general purpose rods, thanks, Kallen.

BigRAWesty
30th June 2013, 08:53 AM
Righto.. sound like you need more amps.
Check your leads, make sure your wires and connected well in the plugs and hand piece and earth clamp.
Also grind the millscale off for the earth clamp..

Also grab some 16tc rods. The flux is like glass and won't get in the weld.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
30th June 2013, 09:06 AM
Concentrate the rod more into the material it wont stick to first.
I take it both are mild steel plate?

mudnut
30th June 2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, 3D they are both mild steel, I'll try that. And come to think of it Kallen, the clamp surface is grey, so it may be part of the problem.

mudnut
30th June 2013, 05:42 PM
Okay, blokes, the job is done. Gutsyute's idea worked, thanks for the PM. So did cleaning the clamp, thanks Kallen. In the end I used 2.5 rods to get right into the corner, then went over the top with 3.2s at maximum amps. Thanks for everyone's input.

BigRAWesty
30th June 2013, 05:48 PM
Well done mate. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to crack bring it for a drive.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

mudnut
5th July 2013, 08:24 PM
Have found a high resistance joint inside the welder, where the copper lead joins the allow wire core. As the welder heated up, it played up, no wonder my welds were crap.