PDA

View Full Version : my tray build.

Ben-e-boy
28th June 2013, 06:02 PM
Gday.

I am starting to get some steel together for my tray build.
My head stock and brace arrived today, I got that bent up by bendpro in Maryborough, its 3nch, 3.2mm wall seamless pipe all mandrel bent.
The 2 chassis rails are 2 inch pipe, 3mm wall and the bends are for the wheel arches. All I need to get bent up now is the outer rails.
The tray is going to be 1.8m wide, 2m long. The outer rails arnt going to match the inner rails. The are going to taper out to about 1.9 over the rear wheel and taper back in to the rear of the tray. The wheel arches them selves are just going to made out of steel plate.

growler2058
28th June 2013, 06:08 PM
Bout bloody time I've been waiting for such a thread

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
28th June 2013, 06:10 PM
Will be watching. Have fun with it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Winnie
28th June 2013, 06:18 PM
Very shmexy.......

threedogs
28th June 2013, 06:27 PM
Should look good are you welding steel checker plate or popping polished alloy checker plate on.
So many questions ATM

Ben-e-boy
28th June 2013, 06:46 PM
Should look good are you welding steel checker plate or popping polished alloy checker plate on.
So many questions ATM

All steel mate.

nissannewby
28th June 2013, 07:04 PM
Galvanised once done??

threedogs
28th June 2013, 07:13 PM
recessed space cases??

Ben-e-boy
28th June 2013, 07:38 PM
recessed space cases??

Havnt planned that yet I want to move the batteries to the back and install the air compressor and tank.
If I can find some space cases the right size I will throw some in

AB
28th June 2013, 08:02 PM
Awesome benny, keep the thread up to date mate, interesting to see it unfold!

Ben-e-boy
28th June 2013, 08:07 PM
Galvanised once done??
I think so

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2013, 06:22 PM
I picked up the sides of the tray the other day. I have to go back to work for another week. But when I get back get the rest of the steel and start building!

Here is a mock up of the headstock, main rails and side rails, the main rails used to be the side rails they were already bent up when I got some advice on tray design, so intread of turfing them I just moved them to the middle

Ben-e-boy
8th August 2013, 03:04 PM
Well I made a start on the Tray today. getting the tray off by Myself Was a bit of a Mission, but I managed it with a couple of tie down straps.
I have tacked the head stock together and It is just resting on the mounts Atm
I think the wheel arch is a bit too high but I will know for Sure when I flex it up and see where the wheel Sits on full compression.

threedogs
8th August 2013, 04:47 PM
looking good , are you going the hidden wiring route for any work/reverse lights fitted

macca86
8th August 2013, 05:36 PM
Nice work we will make a show flex truck out of her yet

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2013, 06:20 PM
Hey Bene, did you Friend Mick on FB? If you did have a look through his pics mate! He has done an awesome tray for is cutdown. Based on the one Biders makes. Looks sweet! Good spot for ideas ;)

Or jump on the Biders website for pics of their trays too.

Are you going to do scrub rails? If so then make sure your tray width is the same width as the scrub rails ;)

Is this going to be ready for the October Meetup?

macca86
8th August 2013, 07:20 PM
I think so

Dont forget your drain holes and to brace it or fully build it then gal it

Ben-e-boy
8th August 2013, 08:39 PM
Hey Bene, did you Friend Mick on FB? If you did have a look through his pics mate! He has done an awesome tray for is cutdown. Based on the one Biders makes. Looks sweet! Good spot for ideas ;)

Or jump on the Biders website for pics of their trays too.

Are you going to do scrub rails? If so then make sure your tray width is the same width as the scrub rails ;)

Is this going to be ready for the October Meetup?

I hope it's ready for October, not So Much the tray or the bull bar but the Motor Most importantly

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2013, 08:50 PM
I hope it's ready for October, not So Much the tray or the bull bar but the Motor Most importantly

Ummmmm? Yeah you will definitely need a Motor mate ;)

Ben-e-boy
8th August 2013, 09:13 PM
so it may seem Lmao