PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Dehydrate Recipes

oncedisturbed
27th June 2013, 06:41 PM
Just picked up a food dehydrator and chasing some recipes if anyone has any they wish to share?

Me personally it would be for jerky and dried fruits.

Did a first run on beef jerky using trimmed blade sandwich steak cut roughly into 15mm wide strips down the length of the steak.

Used a homemade marinade mixed to taste using beer (natural marinade), soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, brown sugar, paprika, garlic and black pepper and dried for 7-8 hours.

Came out not too bad for a first run but needed a smidge longer drying time as it was probably a tiny bit too chewy and needed a bit extra in the soy - worcestershire side of things. All sealed up in vacuum sealed bags in the fridge for wheeling week after next.

So list them here if you have :)

DX grunt
27th June 2013, 07:14 PM
Recipes for dehydrated food are simple. Just don't add water. lol. Sorry, J, couldn't resist it. haha

Winnie
27th June 2013, 07:20 PM
Jerky is the best snack food while wheeling, one of my customers makes it and gives it to me all the time. I cannot eat the softer stuff you buy at the supermarket.

oncedisturbed
27th June 2013, 07:24 PM
Recipes for dehydrated food are simple. Just don't add water. lol. Sorry, J, couldn't resist it. haha

You're a shocker lol

Did some apple as well but I think I went a bit overboard in coating them with cinammon, should of used cinammon sugar instead...oops

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

taslucas
27th June 2013, 07:33 PM
I mentioned in the other thread that my dad makes quite a bit of dried stuff for walking. I'll ask him for some tips next time I see him.

so far so good on motorculture

Cuppa
27th June 2013, 08:04 PM
Fruit leathers (or jerky) are good, & very easy to make & experiment with.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/fruit-leather-recipe.html

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/

oncedisturbed
27th June 2013, 10:35 PM
Cheers Cuppa, will have a gander