PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Feedback - Summit Mud Hog MT

Evo
25th June 2013, 04:34 PM
Hey guys,

Have had these on my troll for almost 5000 kms now and I am actually surprised with them.
Usual MT noise on the blacktop, good in mud and slush, pretty good for wearing and control on and off road.
Sidewall is excellent when pressures are up or down.
Only bad thing I would say is the very narrow sipes tend to catch and keep small stones rather than self clean.

:devilred: Evo

90mav
25th June 2013, 07:49 PM
I have a set of 31 s on 15x7 alloys which I used on my D22 navara for a while now they are on my GQ till I can afford something decent.
Of all the cheap muddys I have tried in the past these are by far the best yet. I've done over 5000 km on them and a LOT of off reading in that. Aside form the usual mud tyre roar they have been great and surprisingly grippy on wet roads.
Would definitely use them again.
Paid $200 each fitted about 10 months ago on Gold Coast.

PatrolStu
25th July 2013, 11:12 PM
Hi, I recently purchased 5 summit mud hogs for my GUIV 4.8 Manual Patrol and put them on my 5 factory allow 17x8 rims. I put the 285/70/R17 tyres on. With my 2 inch lift and the front mud guards removed, they do not rub at all. So far I really like the tyres. They look good, fill the guards nicely, have had good grip on road in dry and wet. I havent tried in sand yet, but will soon. Only negative so far is they are a bit noisy, but not too bad. One thing, they did put my speedo out, making it show 93 kms/hr on speedo when actually going 100 kms/hr (established from gps). Cheers Stu.

threedogs
26th July 2013, 03:14 PM
looks like they give good side wall protection with those "biters"
Do you have prices for th bigger sizes 305, 315, 33" and 285s

Evo
26th July 2013, 10:44 PM
The ones I have on are a 305 70 R16.
They were $300 fitted.

happygu
26th July 2013, 11:19 PM
Hey guys,

Have had these on my troll for almost 5000 kms now and I am actually surprised with them.
Usual MT noise on the blacktop, good in mud and slush, pretty good for wearing and control on and off road.
Sidewall is excellent when pressures are up or down.
Only bad thing I would say is the very narrow sipes tend to catch and keep small stones rather than self clean.

:devilred: Evo

They are a good looking tyre, and it will be interesting to see what mileage you get out of them.
They look a little like an MTZ, or the old Goodyear Wranglers.

Good to hear a good report.

Mic

daggy
27th July 2013, 07:04 AM
I have 6 x 285/70/17 in rotation. Done about 8000k and are wearing very we'll. Been over trap rock, gravel, diet road, sand, mud and unfortunately bitumen. Fitted at about $265 each. I love these tyres in ths wet and dry and no more noisy than bfg at.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Motorculture mobile app

Evo
26th October 2013, 02:04 AM
They are a good looking tyre, and it will be interesting to see what mileage you get out of them.
They look a little like an MTZ, or the old Goodyear Wranglers.

Good to hear a good report.

Mic

Getting a 4 wheel rotation done this Wednsday. Will have clocked just over 10000 kms since fitting and must say am still very happy with these tyres.
At the rate of wear, I would think I'd be getting 80000 kms out of this set (fingers crossed)

Evo

Evo
8th November 2013, 03:36 PM
Had the rotation and balance done on the 4 Mud Hogs, and they seem to be holding up very well.
Here are some photos of the tyres as they sit right now, having done well over 10k kms of travel/abuse.

Evo

90mav
16th April 2014, 06:36 AM
Just had one let go last week.
It separated around about a quarter of the inside edge with a huge bubble at one place. It had never been punctured or plugged either.
Having said that I can't complain about the performance at all, and when I returned it to the tyre shop they had it assessed by the Summit rep and he just replaced it with a new one.
Apparently it's the first one they have seen separate in 6 years.
To be fair I have seen plenty of more expensive tyres separate so I don't count this as a negative.

MudRunnerTD
16th April 2014, 06:57 AM
Just had one let go last week.
It separated around about a quarter of the inside edge with a huge bubble at one place. It had never been punctured or plugged either.
Having said that I can't complain about the performance at all, and when I returned it to the tyre shop they had it assessed by the Summit rep and he just replaced it with a new one.
Apparently it's the first one they have seen separate in 6 years.
To be fair I have seen plenty of more expensive tyres separate so I don't count this as a negative.

How many kms on the tyre?

That is a great result and great service. I consider that a positive review.

90mav
16th April 2014, 08:49 PM
About 30000km on my d22 ute and my gq wagon

megatexture
10th May 2014, 06:01 PM
How are these going fellas I'm just curious on how many km you have gotten out of them as I got a quote yesterday for lt35x12.5r17 $285 fitted and balanced ea