PDA

View Full Version : clunking noise in steering

nedoleboy
30th December 2010, 02:26 PM
gday.
just a bit concerned about a clunking noise in the steering when you turn.whether backing out of the drive or on the hwy it still makes it.their is like a horizontal shock absorber(sway bar?) mounted down their.dunno if that is what is making the noise. any info appreciated.ned

NissanGQ4.2
30th December 2010, 02:52 PM
Ned,

I assume because you said hwy, it not at full lock, but just slight turning of the steering???

Bigrig
30th December 2010, 03:04 PM
The horizontal shockie you mention mate is the steering damper - as a start (to rule things out) jump under and have a look around at all the bushes on the panhard rod, swaybar, leading arms and steering damper/steering arm (check for splits, perishing, etc) - also make sure there isn't any major movement in any of the joints on these parts - suss out the shockies also - rubbers top and bottom and no movement. I can take a photo of under mine and highlight the parts I'm talking about if you need some guidance ... other than that, hope you find the problem mate and good luck with sorting it - if it isn't any of those things I have mentioned, then Tony and crew will be able to guide you around other potential areas of concern.

Sir Roofy
30th December 2010, 05:17 PM
might be the CV JOINTS clunking

roofy

nedoleboy
30th December 2010, 06:28 PM
thanks for the replies. been out for another drive and it doesnt happen all the time. toddrhind i can get the noise by going from lock to lock with a small clunk at each end of travel but the major noise is with the wheels straight ahead andturning the wheel from 9 to 3 barely moving the wheels (while stationary)
bigrig i will be out to check that stuff later.just check the temp...32...me thinks staying inside with the evap and staying well hydrated better option at moment. been reading tonys preventative maintenance posts . been helpful finding my way around under their.

roofy is noisey cv joints bad

Sir Roofy
30th December 2010, 06:41 PM
yea mate not good sounds like you need a good service
jack up the front and grab a wheel top and bottom and
see how much movement there is if sloppy fix straight away
might also be wheel bearings need replacing
roofy

NissanGQ4.2
30th December 2010, 07:02 PM
A clunking noise could be many things unfortunately.

Check what bigrig posted, also i had something like a clunking noise so 2 speak going full lock in one direction due to a bolt been bent on the swivel hub allowing the tyre to scrub.

Can't find the thread i posted, but here are some pics anyway