PDA

View Full Version : Radius arm bush replacement for a 2inch plus lift. GU2.

mudski
23rd June 2013, 05:40 PM
So I want to replace the radius arm bushes and instal the spacer kit to move the radius arm forward as I have a slightly sagged 2inch OME lift with 30mm spacers in.
What the go with the radius arm bushes? Should I get OEM bushes or the offset ones. I know the OEM bushes are better but with the lift I don't know how they will go. It currently has some red poly ones in there and there is nothing wrong with them, well going by eye, but I need to move the arm forwards due to the lift so I thought I might aswell replace the bushes while I am at it.
I have a 12T press so getting the bushes in and out shouldn't be too much of a drama...

Cheers.

Ben-e-boy
23rd June 2013, 07:26 PM
I would go and get your castor checked at the tyre shop, if it dosnt need extra castor dont put the offset bushes in

Bloodyaussie
23rd June 2013, 07:28 PM
I would go and get your castor checked at the tyre shop, if it dosnt need extra castor dont put the offset bushes in

I dont know Benny it's sitting high??

With those spring spacers in it looks like it has a 3 inch lift..

Ben-e-boy
23rd June 2013, 07:31 PM
I would still get it checked, then you know for sure,

mudski
23rd June 2013, 08:38 PM
What will happen if I just put the OEM bushes in and it requires offset ones? Chew out the bushes.
Also can pretty much any tyre shop check the castor? I was kinda hoping to get this done on friday. New bushes that is...Might not have time to get the castor checked. Plus I have the typical death wobble at 80k so I was kinda hoping that the OEM bushes would resolve this...

mudski
23rd June 2013, 08:47 PM
And another thing. When fitting offset bushes. Where does the offset go? Hard to explain unless you know what I mean. Centre hole at lowest point? etc etc...

Parksy
23rd June 2013, 08:54 PM
Stick with the genuine bushes. They will last the longest and offset ones not even half as long. Plus a 2" lift doesn't require castor correction.

mudski
23rd June 2013, 09:00 PM
Yer its kinda 2 1/2 almost 3inch lift though. Might have to ring a few places to see if they can do a quick check.

mudski
23rd June 2013, 09:07 PM
You serious? Plus I was told that drop boxes aren't road legal or I needed to get an engineers report if I fitted them. I don't really want to be fitting drop boxes.

boots
23rd June 2013, 09:18 PM
And another thing. When fitting offset bushes. Where does the offset go? Hard to explain unless you know what I mean. Centre hole at lowest point? etc etc...

Hi Mark . check the ironman website for offset install . They have a great diagram to show how its done .

mudski
23rd June 2013, 09:19 PM
Your a champ....Don't believe what anyone else says.

MudRunnerTD
23rd June 2013, 09:49 PM
hey mudski,

as Parksy stated and then deleted i would run Drop Boxes in a heart beat. caster correction bushes are rubbish.

take Bene's advice and get check the caster before you get to carried away.

why are you spacing forward? the only reason for spacing forward is to provide clearance of the rear of the front guards to run 35s. If your not scrubbing then i would not bother.

if you have a sagged 2"lift then a 30mm spacer is probably really at best a 2.5 lift and probably wont need any correction.

when the time and funds come then fit a proper 3" lift and run Drop Boxes for a perfect setup. my GUIV is a 3"" lift with Drop Boxes. Love it Love it Love it.

mudski
23rd June 2013, 10:23 PM
Cheers Darren. The reason for spacing forward is I can clearly see from looking at the sway bar that its around 10-15mm back. As the sway bar connecting rod is on an angle. And no I am not taking them off :). I would like to keep the car legal. I have already replaced the sway bar link bushes because they were all squashed out on one side because of the angle they are on.
I've ordered the spacers and bushed for the rear section of the radius arm, if I have time I get down to a tyre place to get them to check the castor. If not I will just replace the rear bushes and do it later.

mudski
25th June 2013, 11:36 PM
Do I need to lift the car up on stands to remove the radius arms? If so, on the axles or on the chassis? Or on chassis then use a jack on the diff for support...Etc etc???

MudRunnerTD
26th June 2013, 12:14 AM
No. Hand brake on. Chock the front and back of the front wheels and place a jack under the 3rd member of the front diff to support it in position and out they come mate.

mudski
26th June 2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks MR. Thought I'd crawl under and have a look. Damn it! I don't have the right tools to do the job. I need a 24mm extension socket for the back nut and a 2 or 3inch long 1/2inch drive extension bar for the middle bolt (second bolt from the front, the one right behind the brake caliper).
When I get time I'll buy the right tools to attack it. I also rang a few tyre joint and none of them don't check the caster angles. Might have to empty the pockets and see Pro-Axle.

Bloodyaussie
26th June 2013, 06:24 PM
You know you big dag I have tools here you are welcome to anytime mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88GQwithlift
29th June 2013, 10:20 AM
i read somewhere that there is a company making approved drop boxes...