PDA

View Full Version : Unlevel Patrol

Shaun 4x4
23rd June 2013, 04:09 PM
I have a 2005 GU 3l that has a tough dog 2" lift

It leans to the drivers side.
At the back there is about 45mm difference
The front is about 40mm difference
I have taken the measurement from the rim to the guard.

Does this seam to much to be sagging springs or are the rear springs on the wrong side?

Parksy
23rd June 2013, 04:21 PM
It might be possible that the springs are on the wrong side. The part numbers on the springs might give you an indication, mine are kings springs and it had LH and RH on each spring.

BigRAWesty
23rd June 2013, 04:23 PM
I remember someone mentioning different heights from left to right.
So just make sure your springs are on the correct sides
Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Steve4wdin
23rd June 2013, 04:30 PM
Right side springs are 15-20mm longer than left side. This is to compensate for fuel tank, battery and generally driver.(not always a passenger). Most weight is on right side. Start there. Unfortunately you are going to have to lift the rig up high enough to take the load off springs to measure.
Hope this helps. Steve.

Shaun 4x4
23rd June 2013, 05:03 PM
I tried to find some markings on my spring but they are so dirty (even tried cleaning them) i cant see any writing on them.

As for lifting, my jack only just lifts the diffs enough to change a tyre.

How hard would it be for me to drop both springs out of the back?
Also are the fronts different length to?

Parksy
23rd June 2013, 05:08 PM
Yep. Sure are.

And not difficult to drop the rear springs. Disconnect the shock at the bottom and jack the chassis up until the spring is free from the chassis. Front is abit more difficult but same principle.

Shaun 4x4
23rd June 2013, 05:15 PM
well that makes life harder. might just get my local suspension shop to check it out

june
23rd June 2013, 05:58 PM
just fitted 2 inch tough dog springs 1 week ago. the drivers side front spring compared to the passenger side[ off vehicle] was 15mm. on the new springs it is painted/stamped on L/H and R/H. after 9 years of use of the old springs the troll came up 25mm. and that was with the same brand of springs ,same suspension lift, and same weight.

Shaun 4x4
23rd June 2013, 06:13 PM
im not sure how old my stuff is. was in the patrol when i bought it and when the last owner bought it.

does yours sit level?

BigRAWesty
23rd June 2013, 06:17 PM
If you sat the side by side you'll see the difference. The longer of the 2 goes drivers side

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Shaun 4x4
23rd June 2013, 07:53 PM
But I can't take out all four springs.

Parksy
23rd June 2013, 08:32 PM
Don't need to take all springs out. Just do the rear as a starting point. I only had a axle jack and hydraulic jack and lots of timber and was able to fit a 2" lift to the patrol.

june
24th June 2013, 08:02 AM
after fitting new tough dogs the drivers side sat 5 mm lower than passenger side. rear was equal measurement. must be a patrol thing !

taslucas
24th June 2013, 09:57 AM
after fitting new tough dogs the drivers side sat 5 mm lower than passenger side. rear was equal measurement. must be a patrol thing !

5mm isn't much and may be contributed to the ground level, the wheels being slightly turned or the lift affecting the panhard position?

FanTapstic!

patrolmq
24th June 2013, 09:59 AM
my parts MQ had a bad lean to the drivers side too. When I took the leaf springs off to transfer to my other MQ, I found the previous owner (a 'mechanic') had put the ones labelled PS on the drivers side and DS on the passenger side, DOH! Fitted them correctly to my other MQ and now it's nice and level. Another reason not to let mechanics touch my cars!

june
24th June 2013, 05:12 PM
it was sitting on dead level ground, tyres inflated the same and measured the same way. [bottom of wheel rim to under side of wheel arch] new springs out of troll was front passenger 405mm driver front 420mm. and the rear was rear passenger 480mm rear driver 490mm. note these springs are the heaviest you can purchase in this brand of coil. that is troll is set up for full time touring maxed out at it gvm.

june
24th June 2013, 05:25 PM
and westy's is right, both drivers side coils are taller than passenger side. hope this helps.

taslucas
24th June 2013, 05:32 PM
it was sitting on dead level ground, tyres inflated the same and measured the same way. [bottom of wheel rim to under side of wheel arch] new springs out of troll was front passenger 405mm driver front 420mm. and the rear was rear passenger 480mm rear driver 490mm. note these springs are the heaviest you can purchase in this brand of coil. that is troll is set up for full time touring maxed out at it gvm.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at, there's lots of factors.. 5mm is bugger all to be concerned with considering you have new springs (which may not have settled yet and are also setup to take the weight of the driver, which wasn't there ), and you have a heavily loaded wagon which may not be packed evenly.

FanTapstic!

Shaun 4x4
24th June 2013, 11:24 PM
Well I will give it a crack this weekend and swap the rear spings over.

Is this hard to do?
All I own lifting wise is a trolly jack and I have two car stands.
Got all the tools.

happygu
25th June 2013, 12:35 AM
Well I will give it a crack this weekend and swap the rear spings over.

Is this hard to do?
All I own lifting wise is a trolly jack and I have two car stands.
Got all the tools.

Shaun,

It isn't that hard, but it is harder to make sure that everything is completely safe.

You need jack it up a little to undo your shocks at the bottom ( at a minimum as you may find them annoying dangling in the way ), undo your SwayBar links, make sure the diff breather is disconnected off the diff, and I undid the brake line bolt holding the tee block to the diff, so it floats a little ( pull it back and lift over the tab.

You can then jack the car up high enough to release the pressure off the springs, whilst making sure your safety stands are in place.

The rear springs are taller, but they also pop out a little easier than the fronts as you can release the total spring pressure on the shorter length springs so they are just sitting on the diff. This just means that you have to lift the back higher than your bottle jack will go in one hit. I used my Hi-Lift Jack inserted in the square towbar receiver to lift the back.

I managed to replace springs, shocks, swaybar links, panhard bar, all in just over 1 hour, but if you haven't done it before, allow three.

Mic

Steve4wdin
25th June 2013, 04:24 PM
There should be a rubber boot on the end of springs. This can be a bitch, Put a bit of grease between spring and boot. That will hold it in place. Question, Does your Patrol have lift kit? Does the rear sway bay have extensions? If you are just doing the rear this weekend it is really quite simple. Front is a bit more tricky. Not taking anything away from the advise above, But for the rear you should only have to jack the car up and the spring should loosen up. worst case, put bottle jack under axel of opposite side you are working on, That will take the pressure of enough to remove or replace. If you have basic mechanical skills 2 hours max for the rear. Unless bolts are seized. Hope this helps.
Steve

88GQwithlift
29th June 2013, 10:25 AM
also depends on what accessorys they were ordered to suit.. toughdog make them to suit heaps of different weight postiioned setups

Shaun 4x4
29th June 2013, 10:01 PM
I had a better look under the car today turns out they are only tough dog shocks.
The springs are megalift. Found a part number on one so have emailed them to confirm which side it is meant to be on.

BigRAWesty
30th June 2013, 01:45 PM
Here you go bud. My 2 fronts.. left is PS and right is DS..
DS is clearly 15-20 higher than PS

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

rusty577
1st July 2013, 07:25 PM
Springs may be on the wrong way. or maybe your panhard bar needs adjusting

Shaun 4x4
1st July 2013, 08:32 PM
Well megalift have confirmed it form me, the last retard that owned the car had the spring in the wrong side.
Hopefully it's just the rear. Turns out they are 3" lift springs to.

BigRAWesty
1st July 2013, 08:35 PM
Good outcome. And score with the extra inch.. :thumbup:

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Shaun 4x4
1st July 2013, 08:38 PM
Now it's the matter of doing the job, but am much more keen to do it now I know the springs are wrong for sure.

Steve4wdin
2nd July 2013, 02:04 PM
Good out come Shaun, All the best in changing over.

Shaun 4x4
7th July 2013, 05:30 PM
Well I've swapped the rear springs over and there is still a difference of 22mm. Heaps better then what it was tho,

So what else could it be?
What is the panhard bar?

threedogs
7th July 2013, 05:34 PM
Do the front as well as that will give you true reading
Eg 2" extended shackles in rear only will only lift 4x4 1"
fit 2" extended to all 4 and will lift 4x4 2" all around, Its a Math thing. lol

Shaun 4x4
7th July 2013, 05:34 PM
Well thought I would check the front springs.
And of course they are on the wrong side to.

How hard is the front to change?

Shaun 4x4
7th July 2013, 05:38 PM
19mm different on the front.

What do you mean by extendard shackles? What are these?

threedogs
7th July 2013, 05:38 PM
Not hard at all, easier than front

Shaun 4x4
7th July 2013, 06:22 PM
Do you mean easier then the back?

BigRAWesty
7th July 2013, 06:59 PM
Hahaha.. you may need spring compressor for the front as the bump stops are inside the spring..
But do the same. Lift the body and allow the axle to drop.
Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Shaun 4x4
7th July 2013, 07:39 PM
Well front and back both done now.
Still leans to the drivers side but only 10mm at the back and 5mm at the front.
All in all not a bad out come.

And I had to use spring compressors front and back as my jack plus two pieces of 30mm ply was only just enough to get it up.
Even let the air out of my tyres for that extra bit off drop ;)

menace 2
7th July 2013, 08:30 PM
next time if you have to do them shaun...take the front bump stops off first and let them drop into the spring...plate on top of the spring tower with 2 bolts once off allows you to get to the bolt for the stops....the same for the back..take the bump stops off first...just 2 bolts holding them up...it gives you more room to get the spring in and out....just drop your diffs to the ground (breather and break lines permitting )..and the springs will fall out and in without spring compressors....cheers

PS use your stands under the chassis up a couple of holes..install is just reverse..put front bump stops inside spring before you locate it and finger them up through spring to re-bolt them