PDA

View Full Version : New Shockers

smurf
30th December 2010, 08:50 AM
Hi all just fitted new Maxi Trak shockers with 50mm more travel on the front of my D22 Navara
as my Old Man Emu's broke they were a mongrel to fit.Now i have to find a way to raise my front end being torsin Bar Suspension as i only Have 30mm compression travel on shocks, rubber stop is same distance.So was wondering if this may have caused bottom of old shocks to break as they would have been bottoming out at the same time.

YNOT
30th December 2010, 10:26 AM
If you look down the back end of the torsion bars you will find an adjuster. If the adjuster is already adjusted most of the way then you may need to reindex the torsion bars (move them around one spline) to get the adjuster back up to a point where you can wind the bars up.
It is possible the last shocks were destroyed by bottoming out.

Tony

Bigrig
30th December 2010, 10:34 AM
Being independent suspension mate, I couldn't see that wheel travel would have been an issue for the shocks either way (topping or bottoming) - a mate has a BT50 and whilst a different car, the independent suspension in the front end is controlled moreso by the bump stop under compression and the limit of the struts in downward movement (i.e. not reaching the limits either way of the shocks) ... how old were the OME's and what sort of pounding had they received (i.e. do you travel heaps on corrugated roads etc?? Others will be able to give a better assessment than me, but seems odd that OME's would clap out on yours.

smurf
1st January 2011, 04:25 PM
Thank you Tony will check it out as i am only using bottom of shockers thought it would be better using a bit more towards centre.Would have been easier if icould raise the tower but you can't on these things
as they are fixed.
Hi Bigrig yeah they cop a pounding on gravel roads,but i do not do extreme 4wheel driving it was left hand one that blew out apparently common for these so i was told?As for how old they are i do not know were on i when i bought the ute they do not look that old still got paint on them and label.