PDA

View Full Version : Kinglake Maiden Voyage Done - How to improve the taste of your beer

TheLocksmith
22nd June 2013, 04:37 PM
Coming down Bald Spur Track, on our maiden voyage today, I came across a bloke in a van who was pulling a tandem trailer, full of fencing stuff. :driving2: He's stuck, wedged across the track with not enough power to go forward and he sure isn’t reversing out.

So here we are on a side of a steep hill, 4x4 access only, I have to do a u turn on a steep narrow track. Cut a long story short, with a little less clutch and brakes , I ended up turning around and dragging his ass up the hill.

Not what I wanted to do yet with the new Patrol but you can't just leave a man behind! Who would go on an off road track with a tandem trailer load to the roof in a vw van?

I know it's not much of achievement but pretty happy for my maiden 4x4 drive. First time to put her in 4x4, first time in low range, first time on a steep hill having to do a u turn and towing. Got her nice and dirty, helped someone out.

So sitting here having this Heineken, makes it taste that much better.

Ant

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2013, 04:47 PM
Good on you Ant. So when are you junking the factory tyres in lieu of some decent muddies? Driving that country will see you chomping at the bit for better traction ;)

Good job mate! Welcome to the fun

Woof
22nd June 2013, 05:17 PM
Great job there Ant, well done mate:thumbup:

paulyg
22nd June 2013, 05:30 PM
Well done Locksmith, some people just have no idea.

happygu
22nd June 2013, 06:51 PM
Well done Ant,

Just one thing to keep in the memory banks ..... try not to go across the hill, only either straight up or straight down, as turning around on a hill can lead to a rollover and disaster. Let common sense be your guide, but try and make it a rule to follow.

Mic

Drewboyaus
22nd June 2013, 10:11 PM
Well done Ant,

Just one thing to keep in the memory banks ..... try not to go across the hill, only either straight up or straight down, as turning around on a hill can lead to a rollover and disaster. Let common sense be your guide, but try and make it a rule to follow.

Mic

Nice one Mic. Was going to say the same thing. Ubolt on a steep hill can be a recipe for disaster, even for experience drivers.
Nice work though. It's a shame fools put others in harms way....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

TheLocksmith
22nd June 2013, 10:17 PM
Cheers people.

I did learn a few basic things, but at the spur of moment forgot.

Thanks for all the good advice!

If its not up or down? It's not going to happen.

mudski
22nd June 2013, 10:18 PM
Last time I was up that way was on a trail bike and came across a large fenced off area. Soon realised they area was fenced of to keep wildlife out from eating their crops and getting stoned. No doubt the same type of people you just came across.