PDA

View Full Version : My L28 needs more power.

kiwibloke
20th June 2013, 08:40 AM
Hey guys,
So I have just purchased an 86 mk and it has the L28 with just over 240kms. Took it up into the sand dunes just north of Perth last weekend and had a great time 'trying' to get up some pretty sweet hills. The old L28 just didn't have the power needed on some of them. Even in low box in second it was labouring and bogging down.
It's such a well looked after and tidy truck I want to give it a new lease on life. Was thinking of a possible v8 transplant, but am unsure of the modifications needed. Will I be able to run the same gearbox and transfer case?
Then I found this site, and got reading all of the posts on the L28. A strong motor I hear? Loves to rev I hear? I haven't been giving it too much so far, have been a little wary. It already has extractors, but as far as I'm aware that's about it. Am open to suggestions on possible mods to the L28. For the price of an engine transplant, could I get some decent power out of it?
Any help would b greatly appreciated.
Greg.

93patrol
20th June 2013, 09:19 AM
hey mate silly question but what pressure were you running in your tyre when you were dune climbing?

if you give the motor a good tune and look up the 240z/260z motor forums what ever they do to their engines you can do to yours as they are the same motors

kiwibloke
20th June 2013, 09:46 AM
Dropped them down to about 18psi. Yea I think a decent tune might b on the cards, it seems to struggle to rev high.

93patrol
20th June 2013, 10:33 AM
you probably could've gone lower i drop mine down to 15psi and 12psi in the really soft stuff as long as you don't turn super sharp you'll be fine and just that 3-5 psi will make a massive difference believe me.

also get rid of the points if it still has them and get an electronic ignition system that will help in the higher revs

kiwibloke
20th June 2013, 10:50 AM
Ok thanks mate will look into the electronic ignition. Also what is a decent carby upgrade? And will it increase fuel consumption? As I'm sure u r aware it is already thirsty as hell.

93patrol
20th June 2013, 11:10 AM
my Dad put a bigger webber carby on from standard on our old one but check the Z forums to get the most out of your engine as its been 15 years or more since we had that car, some people put Hollie carbies but i guess do some research and find out whats best for you and your budget

MQ MAD
21st June 2013, 03:29 PM
Ford 2 barell weber (XD,XE,XF)carbs are a common conversion on these,cant remember whats required , im thinking of later doin this to my L28
But theres nothing wrong with whats on there, the old if it aint broke dont touch it sorta thing
Electric dizzy are an upgrade,but I still run points and see 6 ,000 RPM fairly often ,isn't boggy, doesn't miss, and holds those revs without missing

Compared to the diesels and especially the turbo diesels , you wont get near the low down torque of the diesels
As for the gearboxes and drivetrain , they are nearly industructable ,and will handle most worked V8s hard abuse
Itll generally cost more for an aftermarket conversion kit and another engine of choice than what you pay for the average or above average condition MQ/MK
Ill go ford 4 L if my L28 dies, and then if I don't destroy it , throw a turbo on the 4 L

GQ TANK
23rd June 2013, 11:21 PM
I ended up replacing my L28 with a GQ rb30 carby motor. It was a lot of work with around 20% increase in power / torque - it felt like that to me. - Fuel usage was the same.

I was a lot of work to make it fit.

I have a gq with a TB42 it has a lot more go and is way more comfortable

Cabzii
5th September 2013, 09:52 AM
Just bought an MQ with a L28, love the old girl but she does lack in power

andyroo
6th September 2013, 12:06 AM
hi all...yeh i just bought a nissan safari 1987 pick up with the L28, she certainly sounds awesome, but is thirsty. mine does not seem to suffer from no high end power though. but since it is so thirsty, i am wondering (with a faulty fuel guage) what the standard fuel tank capacity in litres these old trucks had?

GQ TANK
8th September 2013, 11:31 PM
See this site for info on the Mq / Mk http://mq-patrol.com/

The tank holds around 65l

MEGOMONSTER
9th September 2013, 04:52 AM
It's such a well looked after and tidy truck I want to give it a new lease on life. Was thinking of a possible v8 transplant

This should get you over most sound dunes. You might needs some wings though for when you get over the top of the dunes and you realise you've left the earths atmosphere.

Skids13
5th December 2013, 06:08 PM
Hi there r carby conversions out there for the L28, I've got a 85 MK L28 Long wheel base, and the previous owner had been running it on gas with a dodged up Weber carby as a throttle body off a XE-XF Ford falcon 6 cylinder, so I ripped the gas out and rebuilt the carby to run on petrol, bigger carby, bigger air cleaner= more fuel, more air, plus a good exhaust, plenty of power and Nissan engines r built for screaming! don't be scared to rev it! lol chews a bit of fuel but haha looking at a Holley carburetor on eBay, been modified for L28 Patrol, plus dyno'd for better fuel economy and better floats in the carby for hill climbing so the engine doesn't lack fuel and labor should check it out few available!

kool-lights
9th April 2014, 10:06 PM
Son has a mk Shorty with newish Holley Carb. Exhaust is a bit hot for my liking but the truck goes well. The old girl has 395kks,Recently upgraded ignition to pentronix. In the process the mechanic fail to connect the tacho.