PDA

View Full Version : newbie from the netherlands with some problems

swen baeten
29th December 2010, 08:39 PM
hi people ,
was looking on your forum for some information, and i saw that you are very helpful people with technical problems.

just bought a old patrol for a restauration project . build in 1982 with a l28 engine.

because i bought it in an other EU country i had to go to customs with the car.
on the way to them, the car starts with some problems . i guess something with my ignition.
every half a mile it stops with a lot of backfiring, then i have to wait 3 minutes and i can drive another half a mile ..problem was that the arrangement at customs costs me 120 dollars so i had to go on.

is there somebody who had the same problems? i already tried a new coil and new spark point.

is this a well known problem?

greetings from holland

Swen Baeten

Woof
29th December 2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome Swen, enjoy the forum mate, sorry but I cannot help you mate but I have moved this thread to a section of our forum so that more members get to see it and maybe lend some assistance.
Can you please post an Intro up for everyone to read, include things like where you live and any other interesting stuff, thanks.

patch697
29th December 2010, 09:17 PM
Welcome on board Swen & I hope you enjoy the forum.

Mate as to your problem???

It is common knowledge that patrols with contact points type ignition systems require the contact points be replaced at regular intervals (approx every 5 to 10,000 kms) & this would be a good place to start but in your case im thinking ignition coil may be the fault.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
29th December 2010, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Swen.

When you say spark points do you mean spark plugs (in the cylinder head) or ignition points (in the distributor)? I would be checking all the ignition components, plugs, leads, rotar button, distributor cap and ballast resistor.

What you are describing sounds to me more like a problem with the carby or fuel supply.

Tony

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 10:11 PM
G'day mate - onthaal aan boord. De overvloed van nuttige informatie, de hopen van grote mensen en een goed lachen om op het forum worden gehad, zodat voelen vrij om onder de gesprekken te krijgen!!! Vergeet niet om een paar gelukkige breuken van de installatie in de sectie van de ledenrit omhoog te werpen - wij nooit worden bored van het bekijken hen!!!

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 10:14 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Swen,

Great bunch of guys n girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

When u get a chance can u drop past the members map thread and leave ur location so i can add u 2 the map

Hope you enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Todd

wildgu6
29th December 2010, 11:25 PM
Welcome to Trol town Swen,
Good to see you on board the best forum around.
Heaps of handy information,
Great bunch of people with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable..

Good luck, Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride.

Scotty you amaze me.....lol

Cheers Pete

Finly Owner
29th December 2010, 11:30 PM
Hi Swen, I believe it could be cracked fuel lines or blocked fuel filter. Maybe even water in fuel. The L28 is a well used motor in nissan and gives very few problems.

Tim

swen baeten
30th December 2010, 01:11 AM
hey thanks for the answers already.

by spark points i meant the ignition point.

is it possible that the is not enough gasoline coming to my carb? a few miles before i was at home my exhaust exploded completely,
due to gasoline which was in the exhaust . the engine stopped backfired a little and after i tried to start again the exhaust exploded.

looks like missing sparks to me, or is it possible that there was not enough gasoline in my carb to ignite in the cylinder.?
is there someone who had this problem before?

thanks in advance..

swen baeten

ittervoort
netherlands

YNOT
30th December 2010, 07:25 AM
It could be a fuel or ignition fault, hard to say from this far away. You suggested the was intermittent spark at no. 4. so I would be replacing the ignition components first to fix that. If you have not done it already I would be draining the fuel tank and filling with fresh fuel. Blow out the lines and replace the fuel filter as well. If it still back fires after that I would check fuel supply to the carby, take the inlet fuel line off the carby and wind the engine over on the starter. You should have a good supply of fuel coming out of the hose. If that is OK it's time for a carby rebuild. Four years sitting around unused is more than enough time for the gaskets in the carby to harden and deposits in the stale fuel to also harden inside the carby.

Tony

MQ MAD
30th December 2010, 12:02 PM
L28s have to have a fully charged battery to run
IF the battery is dying so will the motor

I had the same problem here,ran like an absolute pig, coughing and farting,stalling all sorts
Put a fresh battery in it like a whole new engine
Id go the battery route first
Then fuel filter (Usually a few $$$)
These run an electric fuel pump,so diagnosing fuel issues are easy
Take the plugs out and check for discolouration amongst them
They have a real fine filter just inside the carb, IF these block at all itll run like a pig
Take the main fuel line of the carb, its a cylinder type filter
Hard to determine from a distance ,but they are real easy to work on ,and nearly indestructable

MQ MAD
30th December 2010, 04:07 PM
Just read in your intro that the car was stored for 4 years ???

If this is the case,replace fuel and filters straight up
Fuel will be stale and will be rubbish ,throw it
Then check fuel lines for cracks and splits,actually replace it as well
Only cost a few $$$ (Good peace of mind)

swen baeten
31st December 2010, 06:09 AM
hey ,

i already replaced the fuel, but in the beginning i started to search for a ignition problem.
its not leaking fuel but maybe blocked somewhere indeed..
first thing tomorrow morning is filter replacement and carb cleaning.

i`ll let you know what happened after that

thanks for your help