PDA

View Full Version : GQ Ball joint Grease nipple

Matt_94GQ
29th December 2010, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I was under my GQ greasing up all the joints; i could not find a nipple on the ball joint (knuckles)
I was wondering how i go about greasing these joints.

Thanks

patch697
29th December 2010, 06:30 PM
Some replacement ball joints come non serviceable which means no grease nipple. (Although I've not seen these in 4x4's)

Another thing to do is check tha the nipple hasn't been knocked off at some point? If it has a easy out & a replacement nipple will have it sorted if its accessible.

Matt_94GQ
29th December 2010, 06:33 PM
I did have a good look around for any broken nipples, but cannot see any trace of them.
I have looked at the service manual but cannot find any reference to them either.

patch697
29th December 2010, 06:37 PM
One of the Moderators on here is a well versed Mechanic & may be able to help you here & will more than likely be on here tonight so stay tuned.

YNOT
29th December 2010, 10:02 PM
As Paul suggested not all rod ends are fitted with grease nipples, others will come from the factory with a small bolt which can be removed to fit a grease nipple.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
30th December 2010, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I was under my GQ greasing up all the joints; i could not find a nipple on the ball joint (knuckles)
I was wondering how i go about greasing these joints.

Thanks

Sorry for the silly question, you made a point of clarifying "Knuckle" Joint?

Are you asking about the factory Tie Rod behind the front diff? The front Drag link in front of the front diff going to the steering box? or the Swivel Hub Knuckle on each end of the diff?

The Tie rod ends from factory should be serviceable, as should the drag link but the swivel Hub is supposed to look dry and is lubricated from the inside and not of concern to you. (Unless it is leaking out)

Dont mean to be patronizing mate, I read it the same as everyone else but you may have given the wrong name to it.

Check out this thread mate that Ynot has put together

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv

Note in the 2nd pic down that i have reposted here, you can see the grease nipple on the factor tie rod end but also a good pic of the Swivel Hub Knuckle end.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/CFD2.jpg

Cheers Darren

Matt_94GQ
14th January 2011, 09:26 AM
I was referring to the Swivel Hub Knuckle on each end of the diff.
but as you stated they are supposed to look dry, as mine are, i take it they are working fine.

Thanks