PDA

View Full Version : 5$ Battery Terminal Crimper with professional results.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 05:13 PM
For the very few terminals most of us have to crimp it's not worth spending money on a set of crimpers.

I came up with this sure its little slower, but its cheap compact takes about half hour to knock up and can sit in the top of the toolbox without taking up much room.

I built the smaller one today for doing accessories stuff.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/100.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/101.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/102.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/103.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/104.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/105.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/106.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/107.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/108.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/109.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/110.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/111.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/112.jpg

Bloodyaussie
17th June 2013, 05:17 PM
Well done mate. ... thanks.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 05:19 PM
Well done mate. ... thanks.

Finally a cheap solution to battery terminals. Pain in the ares having to go to an auto electrician to get cables crimped. 9 times out of 10 you need it after you've had 6 beers and cant drive or it will be a saturday or sunday and everything is shut.

BigRAWesty
17th June 2013, 05:26 PM
Very neat mate.. well done..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 05:26 PM
Looks good mate.

I use a pair of 14" Bolt cutters to crimp upto 35mm2 fittings with ease. That will work well though for sure.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 05:29 PM
Looks good mate.

I use a pair of 14" Bolt cutters to crimp upto 35mm2 fittings with ease. That will work well though for sure.

lol anything you can do with a makita cordless wins hands down.

BigRAWesty
Were did you find those splitters at that price? Even eBay can't beat that price...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
Well done good stuff, will work a treat on the bigger lugs like the 50amp Anderson.
Two thumbs up, Keep them coming

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 05:30 PM
Were did you find those splitters at that price? Even eBay can't beat that price...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Thats Supercheap Auto for sure!

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 05:34 PM
Thats Supercheap Auto for sure!

Amen, cheap. I went to drill a hole and tap a thread to hold die in, there was not a chance in hell was I going to be able drill that steel and tap without a lot of pain. So i just dropped couple taks on it.

Cuppa
17th June 2013, 06:44 PM
Very innovative & at a nice price.
When I needed cables for my Patrol fit out, including several 70mm2 & some 35mm2 & smaller. Trying to work out what lengths of cable I needed so I could then take the cables to an auto electrician for crimping would have been a real pain, so I bought myself an hydraulic crimper. Certainly it cost more than five bucks, but paid for itself in the few cables I had to make, plus I still have it for future use. I have arthritic wrists & find using a ratchet crimper on any wire diameter above 6mm pretty hard going, but easy with the hydraulic one. Prices for these have come down a lot in recent years & can now be bought for less than $50 with a range of dies for different lug sizes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-70mm-8-Tonne-Force-Hydraulic-Crimper-Tool-/390382947093?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item5ae4a30b15&_uhb=1
Not trying to detract from the OP's clever idea which had I not already got the hydraulic crimper I'd give a go. In fact it's a very 'Cuppa-esque' solution. Nice one.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 06:50 PM
Very innovative & at a nice price.
When I needed cables for my Patrol fit out, including several 70mm2 & some 35mm2 & smaller. Trying to work out what lengths of cable I needed so I could then take the cables to an auto electrician for crimping would have been a real pain, so I bought myself an hydraulic crimper. Certainly it cost more than five bucks, but paid for itself in the few cables I had to make, plus I still have it for future use. I have arthritic wrists & find using a ratchet crimper on any wire diameter above 6mm pretty hard going, but easy with the hydraulic one. Prices for these have come down a lot in recent years & can now be bought for less than $50 with a range of dies for different lug sizes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-70mm-8-Tonne-Force-Hydraulic-Crimper-Tool-/390382947093?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item5ae4a30b15&_uhb=1
Not trying to detract from the OP's clever idea which had I not already got the hydraulic crimper I'd give a go. In fact it's a very 'Cuppa-esque' solution. Nice one.

Lol mate, this is why its a forum to share peoples thoughts and opinions. Its not a bad topic to cover on battery terminal crimping. As I post more threads you'll notice I'll make everything i can possible that doesn't require special machinery,

Winnie
17th June 2013, 07:03 PM
We have massive (up to 1200mm) crimpers and some smaller ones (up to 120mm) crimpers at work that we hire out which I borrow when I need to but this idea is really good mate!
By the way when you're running around trying to find an auto electrician to crimp a cable remember an electrician can do the same job.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 07:08 PM
We have massive (up to 1200mm) crimpers and some smaller ones (up to 120mm) crimpers at work that we hire out which I borrow when I need to but this idea is really good mate!
By the way when you're running around trying to find an auto electrician to crimp a cable remember an electrician can do the same job.

What is the tap stuff at the bottom of a lot of posts.

Winnie
17th June 2013, 07:09 PM
What is the tap stuff at the bottom of a lot of posts.

Just a silly little signature inserted by the tapatalk app on people's phones. Basically if you see something like this it means they are posting via their phones.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 07:12 PM
Lol if I'm posting I'm in the workshop, right in the center of the shed is one of my pc's.

mudnut
17th June 2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks SD, that nut-splitter, crimper will be the go for when I extend heavier winch power cables to the control box near the firewall.

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 07:35 PM
Thats a good Idea mate no doubt.
But I do not think that is a professional finish, If I come across a crimp like that I would cut it off and re do it.

Bloodyaussie
17th June 2013, 07:37 PM
But I do not think that is a professional finish, If I come across a crimp like that I would cut it off and re do it.

Yeah but you have stupidly high standards when it comes to that stuff so for me its good enough... he he!!

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 07:46 PM

What i mean by professional results as in how it splays the cable internaly and locks it. With the terminal locked in the vice pulling with all my force cable didn't move.

macca
17th June 2013, 08:19 PM
I'm with Ben, what you have is a quick fix that gets you moving and I reckon you have done a great job. The black cable looks like the lug is too big for the cables and may well have caught a good number of cores. Loose cores are an issue and the others will probably work loose. That causes heat and failure. I'm a sparky so I am fussy with electricity as I have seen fails, most are not pretty. So my suggestion would be to visit someone with a hex crimped and finish th job properly, crimp over what you have already done. Good quick fix though.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 08:31 PM
I'm with Ben, what you have is a quick fix that gets you moving and I reckon you have done a great job. The black cable looks like the lug is too big for the cables and may well have caught a good number of cores. Loose cores are an issue and the others will probably work loose. That causes heat and failure. I'm a sparky so I am fussy with electricity as I have seen fails, most are not pretty. So my suggestion would be to visit someone with a hex crimped and finish th job properly, crimp over what you have already done. Good quick fix though.

I'm going to respectfully disagree, simply because I copied the jaws/dies from my mate that is a auto sparky. Funny enough he came around with his brother who is a sparky. My auto spark mate reckons brilliant idea because its small and can put terminals on cables in place with spanner and socket. Even myself I spend the half of my time fixing electronics building pc's.

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 08:46 PM
What i mean by professional results as in how it splays the cable internaly and locks it. With the terminal locked in the vice pulling with all my force cable didn't move.

Yes it may grip the cores now but under an extended time of vibration the cores will move inside the lug then you can have as macca has already stated loose cores which will give you grief in time.
I am also a sparkie and the majority of my work is in quarries, with vibrating screens, vibrating feeders and large crushers. The majority of electrical failure is directly caused by vibration. I understand that this is a completly different situation, but vibration is vibration and once it has done its thing it will cause problems.

macca
17th June 2013, 08:49 PM
Fair enough, I understand its a DIY quick fix and a really good one,
That black crimp is doomed to fail in my experience but will get you moving which is what you want and crimpers are bulky things so getting a lug on a cable to get you home the idea is perfect and practical.
The red crimp looks nearly as if it was done in one of my crimpers, that one only goes up to 16mm over that size the crimpers are hex crimps and are 600mm long so totally impractical for confined space or to carry just in case LOL.
Your idea is a great addition to the tool box with 2 or 3 lugs your laughing.

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 08:51 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree, simply because I copied the jaws/dies from my mate that is a auto sparky. Funny enough he came around with his brother who is a sparky. My auto spark mate reckons brilliant idea because its small and can put terminals on cables in place with spanner and socket. Even myself I spend the half of my time fixing electronics building pc's.

I am not disputing that its a bad idea I think the die should be redesigned to replicate a die from a hydraulic crimper to get a better crimping surface area.

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 08:54 PM
Fair enough, I understand its a DIY quick fix and a really good one,
That black crimp is doomed to fail in my experience but will get you moving which is what you want and crimpers are bulky things so getting a lug on a cable to get you home the idea is perfect and practical.
The red crimp looks nearly as if it was done in one of my crimpers, that one only goes up to 16mm over that size the crimpers are hex crimps and are 600mm long so totally impractical for confined space or to carry just in case LOL.
Your idea is a great addition to the tool box with 2 or 3 lugs your laughing.
Thats where the hydraulic crimpers that cuppa posted come in handy, they have saved me when reterminating motors in not so accessable places

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 09:05 PM
Yes it may grip the cores now but under an extended time of vibration the cores will move inside the lug then you can have as macca has already stated loose cores which will give you grief in time.
I am also a sparkie and the majority of my work is in quarries, with vibrating screens, vibrating feeders and large crushers. The majority of electrical failure is directly caused by vibration. I understand that this is a completly different situation, but vibration is vibration and once it has done its thing it will cause problems.

You both are 240 sparkys, we are talking two complety different cored wires.

Okay if we want to play this game and turn a simple task into rocket science so that people that are reading this that want to have a go at doing there own things get scared into thinking that these things are not possible at home. My makita impact driver is rated to 145nm of torque, now that force is going to change because the each thread takes a percentage of total force. I will have more time later to go right into depth, I stand behind my work . If your happy to sit back on your keyboard with a low res foto and come up with a professional opinion without even touching the cable or seeing how much force those little jaws have great.

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 09:48 PM

Okay if we want to play this game and turn a simple task into rocket science so that people that are reading this that want to have a go at doing there own things get scared into thinking that these things are not possible at home. My makita impact driver is rated to 145nm of torque, now that force is going to change because the each thread takes a percentage of total force. I will have more time later to go right into depth, I stand behind my work . If your happy to sit back on your keyboard with a low res foto and come up with a professional opinion without even touching the cable or seeing how much force those little jaws have great.

Hahahaha really..... games, scare campaigns against DIY?

I just based my opinionon experience, which may not be agreed with by everyone, Iam not going to get wound up or loose sleep over it and neither should you It is just an internet forum. :D

Bloodyaussie
17th June 2013, 09:58 PM

Dont worry mate I like it and I know plenty of others will to... dont worry about Ben and Macca they are a couple of Electrical internet bullies!!!!! Benny is only 4ft tall and has very small penis so he is trying to make up for something?? he he he!!!

If you need a cuddle just say the word!!!!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 10:10 PM

i dont think the guys are making rocket scienc out of it at all. these boys crimp wire for a living mate. see the outcomes of poor crimping and both guys have congratulated your endeavour. they both agree it will get you moving.

they are trying to give you some perspective though mate. they have tried to provide professional guidance to you and to many others here that will look at your idea and like it and maybe not see the limitations mate. A Crimp iis not a Crimp.

A Crimp failure can be paralising at best, at worst Catestrophic.

these guys are big contributors here and we as a group pride ourselves on providing the best possible advice.

you are new here and you will learn that unkike Many Forums on the Internet, this one there are NO KEYBOARD HEROS!

Chill mate, they are trying to help, not insult. have another read of your thread. your allowed to take Educated Advice ;)

Thanks for your effort mate

Cheers MR

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 10:10 PM
Hahahaha really..... games, scare campaigns against DIY?

I just based my opinionon experience, which may not be agreed with by everyone, Iam not going to get wound up or loose sleep over it and neither should you It is just an internet forum. :D

lmao dude, I'm about to put heap of pics of air compressor install up shortly hence the reason I needed the crimper.

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 10:12 PM
i dont think the guys are making rocket scienc out of it at all. these boys crimp wire for a living mate. see the outcomes of poor crimping and both guys have congratulated your endeavour. they both agree it will get you moving.

they are trying to give you some perspective though mate. they have tried to provide professional guidance to you and to many others here that will look at your idea and like it and maybe not see the limitations mate. A Crimp iis not a Crimp.

A Crimp failure can be paralising at best, at worst Catestrophic.

these guys are big contributors here and we as a group pride ourselves on providing the best possible advice.

you are new here and you will learn that unkike Many Forums on the Internet, this one there are NO KEYBOARD HEROS!

Chill mate, they are trying to help, not insult. have another read of your thread. your allowed to take Educated Advice ;)

Thanks for your effort mate

Cheers MR

I knew I forgot to put smily faces in there,

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 10:14 PM
I knew I forgot to put smily faces in there,

you lost me?

sil3nt_dr3ams
17th June 2013, 10:17 PM
you lost me?

I was'nt upset or having a go. I dont mean to come across that way. I just have hands a little full, I apologies .

menace 2
18th June 2013, 04:41 AM
I dont think he means you lost him literally silent...I think he means not understanding the smily face bit ??..you are pretty inovative mate and quite educational actually and I like your approach with making things work which it seems everyone agrees with here..you have helped people with your battery tray build and I think it is just a slight dissappointment that when help was directed your way it seemed to become a bit of a power struggle ..it seems a pretty mature approach set up here , unlike many forums I have been looking through just lately and being new to it...so hang in there ..there isnt any keyboard heroes here as yet...looking forward to your next fab of something...cheers menace

macca
18th June 2013, 06:55 AM
Even though I have been in the trade for 40 years there is always more to learn, when I did my "time" we had one of the indent type crimpers that would crimp a lug up to 120mm, not seen one for years as other types took over the preferred method. Trying to find a pic of one this morning I found a hammer crimp, very similar to your design just used a different way.
I have not bagged your idea, just didn't think the end result was professional as your title suggested.
I still think your idea is a good one and like you I like playing in my shed building stuff, been a DIY contributor here myself.
I certainly encourage you to keep posting your work, honest criticism makes us improve what we do and give others ideas to take the concept further as Threedogs did with my "jailers keys"!
Don't be discouraged mate, plenty of good ideas get tossed around here and you are a good source from what you have done here already.
Yours in good faith

macca
18th June 2013, 11:03 AM
To pass on a hint there are 2 types of lug you can easily get for use on the larger cables your vehicle,

One is a solder lug as its name implies you heat it with a gas torch or large iron and solder the cable into the sleeve. They are recognised by the closed sleeve end so the solder wont run out over the termination plate.

The other is a crimp as has been discussed in this thread it generally has an inspection window that is used to check the cable is all the way into the lug before crimping.

If you have no way of crimping a lug, soldering might get you out of strife (tap the window closed with a hammer to stop solder going everywhere if you only have crimps), I was taught to solder lugs at TAFE when doing my apprentiship, I have never used one in the workplace. They are recommended for use in places where water ingress inside the lug could cause a failure, never seen it used though.

mjr350
17th September 2014, 10:30 PM
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I have a quick question guys. Whats wrong with solder?
I've always soldered larger lugs like these for automotive / marine applications and have never even considered crimping and never had any issues. Is there a negative to soldering large lugs like this.

lucus30
17th September 2014, 11:01 PM
Supposedly crimping is stronger and its what I do because I've got a crimper but honestly I think its the old Nissan vs Toyota debate when it comes to crimping or soldering

mjr350
17th September 2014, 11:11 PM
For $40 on ebay I'll do both on my next setup

liftlid
18th September 2014, 09:06 AM
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I have a quick question guys. Whats wrong with solder?
I've always soldered larger lugs like these for automotive / marine applications and have never even considered crimping and never had any issues. Is there a negative to soldering large lugs like this.
Because solder fills the gap between the lug and the cable it can fail due to vibration or heat.

Cuppa
18th September 2014, 09:10 AM

Solder can wick up the cable a little & over time & the vibration in a mobile environment can crack/fracture resulting in difficult to find electrical problems. At least that’s what I’ve read. I doubt it would be an issue on large diameter cables such as used on battery connections though, perhaps more of an issue on smaller gauge wires.
I did once have a soldered cable cause exactly this problem. Could not find the cause of lack of power. No amount of looking revealed anything but the sparks which flew as soon as the connection was physically disturbed was a dead giveaway. Mind you I believe the soldered joint was from the factory which would have made it over 20 years old.

Surprisingly in my ex Telstra Patrol I found a number of cable joins installed by Telstra, on smaller cables, which were soldered.

liftlid
18th September 2014, 09:11 AM
By the way I like this tool for 2 reasons.
Nice and small so it's great for trail repairs.
All you blokes with low mount winches should have one of these to put the lug back on your winch cable when it comes off.
I off to supacheap !

dysonest
11th July 2015, 10:11 PM
yeah solder can crack over time and u will be scratching ur head looking for an electrical problem.
a properly done crimp is better then solder anyway