PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rear axle

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:02 PM
just joined. Got leaking rear axle seals. Trying to get a manual but i have to post 25 times. Need the car, can anyone give me a short cut.

YNOT
28th December 2010, 02:30 PM
I can't give you a short cut to the manual, but if you give me a few hours I could pull apart a diff in the shed and take some photos.

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:34 PM
I think it is axle seals. Have not done much investigation at this stage. Strong burning oil smell and visible smoke from the rear drivers hub. Have been told that is axle seals but i am thinking might do bearings and all seals while i am there.

Jeff

YNOT
28th December 2010, 02:39 PM
If you have a strong burning oil smell and visible smoke then your problem is likely to be a lot more serious than axle seals. I've had leaking axle seals before but never had smoke or burning smell. Is there oil leaking down the brake backing plates?

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:42 PM
Unsure at this stage. As i said i amnot a great mechanic. Have not even taken the wheel off yet. Was planning on pulling the axles off and replacing all seals etc. Do you think the problem will be in there or deeper?

YNOT
28th December 2010, 02:49 PM
Are you able to post a photo of the diff/rear brake area looking from the middle of the car (underneath) looking towards the wheel?
It may just be a leaking inner axle oil seal but my concern is that there is not usually enough heat there to generate burning smell or smoke. It's possible you may have a brake sticking on.
Replacing inner axle oil seal is easy, I can walk you through that easily enough, replacing rear axle bearings and outer seals is a much bigger job requiring a big press. It's rare to need to do bearings and outer seals.

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:54 PM
I will give it a go. Be a little while though. Thanks Mate

YNOT
28th December 2010, 02:57 PM
Where about's are you Jeff, if your Brisbane southside I may be able to have a look for you.

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:58 PM
Camera is with my wife at the moment. Just looked underneath. There is no visible oil leak.

jparker
28th December 2010, 02:59 PM
Unfortunately i am in Perth, but really appreciate the offer

jparker
28th December 2010, 03:00 PM
I will try picture with phone, but not sure if i can upload it. Will see how i go

jparker
28th December 2010, 03:16 PM
I will try and take photo with phone, but not sure if i can upload it. I will see how i go.

jparker
28th December 2010, 03:32 PM
Tony. Cant upload photo. Cant find the right cables. What i can tell you though is that the smoke appeared to be coming from the hub and not from around the brake area.

YNOT
28th December 2010, 05:43 PM
Check the area indicated in the photo below (left click on the image to enlarge it), is there oil running down here?
The photo is actually the rear diff of a Nissan Terrano but you get the idea.

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks Tony.
Not able to open the photo until i have 25 posts so i will get it later. Appreciate your help on this.

YNOT
28th December 2010, 07:21 PM
Here's the same photo loaded a different way.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/hub1.jpg

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 07:31 PM
No sign of any oil in this area at all.
So it is starting to look like it may be brakes?

YNOT
28th December 2010, 08:19 PM
No sign of any oil in this area at all.
So it is starting to look like it may be brakes?

Have a look at the color of the brake rotar/disc, silver is normal, blue and purple indicates excessive heat and brake problems.

Tony

jparker
28th December 2010, 11:19 PM
Hey, thanks mate. I will look in the morning. Really appreciate your advice.

jparker
29th December 2010, 03:25 PM
Tony. Have taken the wheel off and although there is a bit of rust present as i work away and have not driven the car for a month after the problem occured, there appears to be a darker band on the disk from the inner edge of the pad to about half way. There is no sign of any oils or grease around the hub.
The pad itself appears to be quite hard up against the disc. If i try and turn the wheel manually i have about 15mm freeplay both directions. Hope this makes things a bit clearer for you.

Cheers. Jeff

jparker
29th December 2010, 03:45 PM
was considering blocking car up and running it in gear to get a better idea. Is this advisable?

YNOT
29th December 2010, 04:02 PM
1; How does the disc on the other side look? Are the colors/ markings similar?
2; How do the brakes feel when you drive? Does it feel/sound like they are dragging?
3; How is the brake fluid level? Does the fluid smell burnt?
4; You could try running it in gear, but make sure the axle is properly supported on axle stands and the front wheels securely chocked-we don't want any accidents. Make sure you have both rear wheels off the ground or the limited slip diff will try to drive it off the stands. I don't know if running it like this will prove anything, the bearings will run on a different part of the race with the weight off the wheels. On the other hand it may just give you the clue you need to find the fault.

Tony

jparker
29th December 2010, 04:52 PM
Tony. Was taking other wheel off when you got back to me. There is a build up of grease/oil on the passenger side drum. Appears to be coming from the hole where it is screwed on. You have the 6 studs and the hole is in the same line.
It may well have been the side that was giving me problems. To be honest i cant really recall whihich side it was as i had to get it in the back yard and parked up before i flew out to work. Unfortunately the car is locked up behind the fence so taking it for a run will not be an option until i get the fence down. I ran the wheels in 2nd gear and although there is some slight rubbing the wheels move freely and the fluid levels are fine, with no burnt smell.
I will try and get a photo to you. I am having a bit of trouble attaching. I will keep trying.

Cheers. Jeff

Cheers Jeff

jparker
29th December 2010, 05:00 PM
Tony.

Any chance of getting your email address so that i can send photo to you.

Cheers Jeff

jparker
29th December 2010, 07:02 PM
Definatly coming from the seal. Took brakes off and there is oil/grease right through. Question is now. Is it the outer or the inner. Am i better taking the axle out and getting it pressed and replace all parts. My brother in law works for a company who get bearings and seals for bugger all. I am tending to think tht if i have come this far, why not go all the way. Your proffesional opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Jeff

YNOT
29th December 2010, 09:50 PM
The rear wheel bearings on Patrols are lubricated by grease, so if there is oil getting to the bearings then it is the inner axle seal that is leaking.
I agree with you idea to replace bearings, you have come this far and can get bearings for a good price, so you may as well do it and not have to worry about it again.

PM sent.

Tony

jparker
30th December 2010, 12:17 AM
You have ben a huge help. Thank you very much....

the ferret
30th December 2010, 12:23 AM
You have 30 posts, grab the manual!!

jparker
30th December 2010, 02:33 PM
Yep. Got them both.

Thank you