PDA

View Full Version : Dare to Compare

threedogs
14th June 2013, 05:34 PM
As most know I like and make knives. Check out my latest.
The Brass bolstered one is my Buck 119r and used as my GP camp knife.
cost me $120.
Now look at stainless one only cost $12, I'm going to buy a Buck leather sheath $17
retire my brass buck for display only. Looks like patent must have run out.
Blade on both 150mm

Alitis007
14th June 2013, 05:44 PM
Looks good TD i've got a el'cheepo pig knife in my tackle bag for blooding gummies, salmon and anything over 3kgs but i did get my hands on this for filleting, skinning and de boning flattys and whiting
Its a bit big but you get used to it. Sharp as anything and gota be real careful coz you will cut your finger off without knowing it lol

threedogs
14th June 2013, 06:02 PM
Good brand, next time you're over I'll show you some I've made.
Mainly from Damascus steel. Must have 50 odd I reckon, Seki city
is cool blade blanks. Must finish a few off and sell them. Pic is of my redgum fillet knife and sheath,
redgum from Bunnings
White one is camel bone Big Lake fillet knife

Cuppa
14th June 2013, 06:16 PM
I'm betting the old one will sharpen better & hold an edge better?

threedogs
14th June 2013, 06:20 PM
On the stainless one they couldn't even spell stainless correctly lol
Think most good knives are rockwell HC 56-58, enough to hold
an edge for a while.

Tank
15th June 2013, 03:33 PM
Old concrete cutting blades make good blades

threedogs
15th June 2013, 03:38 PM
Just brought the centre clamp on ebay to hold the handle[scales] in place ,
The big clamp is Henri Boker, interesting history
Must finish a few off, been too slack.
@ Alitiss you'll find you usually cut yourself on blunt knives from trying to push to hard'
Sharp knives are a pleasure to work with. Ive just brought a stainless glove.,just in case

Avo
16th June 2013, 07:53 PM
nice knives.my favourite is a oldtimer made by Buck Knives.fathers day prezzie.love it to bits or whatever is in it's way.

And I found the box today...idiot I am .....should have realized it's a schrade knife Oldtimer

macca86
28th July 2013, 11:05 PM
As most know I like and make knives. Check out my latest.
The Brass bolstered one is my Buck 119r and used as my GP camp knife.
cost me $120.
Now look at stainless one only cost $12, I'm going to buy a Buck leather sheath $17
retire my brass buck for display only. Looks like patent must have run out.
Blade on both 150mm

I have this very knife in stainless and a genuine buck its a 402 stainless blade. I knifed a bull to bleed it out to hang it and skinned it and only needed a steel on it 3 times it done very well. My mate his dad makes knives and he likes using spring steel off old truck leaf springs

Shaft10
1st January 2014, 02:27 AM
Threedogs do u every make custom knives for people?

james008
1st January 2014, 02:43 AM
Threedogs do u every make custom knives for people?

Depending on price I'd be interested in new knife too, or getting my old one sharpened .

Shaft10
1st January 2014, 02:47 AM
Yeh I'm always after good knives or unique knives. Hate having the same knife as someone else lol

threedogs
1st January 2014, 09:28 AM
was going to do some custom fillet knives for some members but dropped of the idea,
By the time you fit scales[handle] to the blank blade the knife is too pricey to sell.

BigRAWesty
1st January 2014, 09:54 AM
was going to do some custom fillet knives for some members but dropped of the idea,
By the time you fit scales[handle] to the blank blade the knife is too pricey to sell.

Yes you see a lot of knives on dedicated blade forums going for $150+..
Damascus blades higher again.
If the customer is serious they won't bat an eye lid, but the average Joe will walk away and into rays outdoors..

Shaft10
1st January 2014, 07:06 PM
A good knife is worth it IMO

oncedisturbed
1st January 2014, 07:21 PM
They are worth it if done properly, when I get time, I am going to start iff using pre-made blanks and the progree from there.

There are some great knives out there

growler2058
1st January 2014, 07:21 PM
Looks good TD i've got a el'cheepo pig knife in my tackle bag for blooding gummies, salmon and anything over 3kgs but i did get my hands on this for filleting, skinning and de boning flattys and whiting
Its a bit big but you get used to it. Sharp as anything and gota be real careful coz you will cut your finger off without knowing it lol

GREAT name for a knife! Anyone seen Dexter bwahahahaa

growler2058
1st January 2014, 07:24 PM
nice knives.my favourite is a oldtimer made by Buck Knives.fathers day prezzie.love it to bits or whatever is in it's way.

And I found the box today...idiot I am .....should have realized it's a schrade knife Oldtimer

My ol Uncle, full time farmer, retired bushman, roo shooter, drover, swore by old timer knives. His he used on bunnies, roos, sheep, only time I remember him using something bigger was on pig.

R.I.P Uncle Frank always remembered

oncedisturbed
1st January 2014, 09:17 PM
Schrade and Old Timer are great knives.

If you are a good boy Neil, a Schrade may find it's way to you :cool:

threedogs
25th March 2014, 04:05 PM
Thought Id put a few pics here of some pigs my BIL got a few years back inbetween Ivanhoe and Wilcannia,
On the flood plan. The white pig was from Maude way, even caught a few yellow belly @ 500mm.
A few goats so a great weekend had by all.
Big white pig was shot with a 308 behind the ear, its is one big pig , I have the trotters mounted as a gun rack
Which I use for a few fishing rods.
The black pig was a nasty piece of work, smashed 3 dogs [all survived] and chased a guy up a tree, Rlmfao funny as watching it all
but not funny for the guy up the tree. The white and tan dog in white pig picture is Cruisers dad [Chico], He died of a snake bite when retired to a farm near Flowerdale Vic

LachDiggityDog
25th March 2014, 05:53 PM
That's not a knife. This is a knife!

LOL! :tongue:

growler2058
25th March 2014, 08:04 PM
That's one big arsed pig TD! Either that or your a midget. Cant wait to get me some tuskers