PDA

View Full Version : GU4 Tail lights in a GU1

florix
13th June 2013, 01:14 AM
Hey guys
I am looking at replacing my series 1 tail lights on the GU to something a bit better and was thinking GU4.

I know this has been done before somewhere but My searches are coming up blank. I know the shapes are different but by how much and can the panel be cut to suit or will it not fit in at all, as in stick out the side and not have a decent seal?

Has anybody tried this before and if so what was the outcome?

trekster
13th June 2013, 05:07 AM
I have thought about changing my 98 taillights and headlights/indicators as well, up to a 2000/2001 model something like that, when I look at the compatibility on eBay etc, they say they won't fit either? Same shape would have thought they would have been interchangeable as well????

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2013, 08:39 AM
Yeah i reckon you have got buckleys of fitting GUIV rear lights to a GUIII and earlier. Completely different shaped guards

Look at the later models up to GUIII as they all interchange and bolt straight in.

happygu
13th June 2013, 08:56 AM
Florix,

Anything can be done at a price, whether it be lots of money or hours and hours of time..... it will be a fairly large job, as the metalwork behind is quite a bit different.

Just use the GUIII lights, as they bolt straight in, look smart, and you can also add the extra globes to make them functional.

Mic

florix
14th June 2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks Mic. I thought that may be the case. I know I can fit anything up to GUIII but was wondering just how difficult it was to fit GUIV lights. I wish there were more options like the go ol bommadores.

florix
14th June 2013, 10:10 PM
Just found some very nice lights....

Smoked LED tail lights (http://marsperformance.com.au/Smoked-Red-LED-Tail-lights-Nissan-Patrol-01-04)

mudski
14th June 2013, 10:55 PM
Nice price too :eek:

I tapped that app

Winnie
14th June 2013, 11:05 PM
They look trick though

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

04OFF
15th June 2013, 05:45 PM
From the picture, it looks like there is no bulb holder or LEDs in the indicator and reverse lens area/s, IMO, the best thing about aftermarket tail lamps, is you end up with working 2 reverse lamps , might pay to double check if these parts in the lights do in fact work ?

florix
21st June 2013, 09:29 AM
I was told this;

Hello:

Thanks very much for contact us.

Tail lights will physical fit no problem, but need to rewiring all plugs

Best Regards

Just waiting to see what this exactly means to them, if the bulb plugs are there or its just an empty shell.

MudRunnerTD
21st June 2013, 12:18 PM
yeah does not look like they built in the bloody Indicators!! Why would you not put Blinkers In??

They look good but if they are not Full Function then there is little point IMO.

florix
21st June 2013, 06:17 PM
thats it hey. hopefully its just a simple add the wiring to suit but $300 for just LED break lights is a bit too much.

If I can use my lights wiring for the reverse and indicator then maybe...hmmm

madmarlon
19th March 2014, 12:18 AM
Hi,

I fitted GU4 to my GU1 Patrol. I had to remove quite a bit of metalwork inside where the light goes. I then had to weld in a couple of reinforcing struts to strengthen, as these parts removed were strengthening for the rear doors. You then have to cut the outer panelwork back so the lights sit back enough. The mounting pins are then the same as series 1. Just need to seal the lights to the panel then with silicone or similar. Quite a bit of work, but looks good. I would have thought twice about starting if I knew how much work it was going to take.

threedogs
19th March 2014, 08:45 AM
From the picture, it looks like there is no bulb holder or LEDs in the indicator and reverse lens area/s, IMO, the best thing about aftermarket tail lamps, is you end up with working 2 reverse lamps , might pay to double check if these parts in the lights do in fact work ?

Heres mine with 4 x led globes and an extra 36 watt n top,
wouldn't having smoked good as they look give less light.
reversing in the bush is a breeze with these lights