PDA

View Full Version : GQ ECU Location

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2010, 08:27 PM
Not sure on other Model GQ's but this is where the ECU is located in my 1992 GQ 4.2 EFI, TI

Location is behind the passengers side kick panel.

patch697
28th December 2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks Todd, Nicely done mate.

GQ UTE
31st December 2010, 12:47 AM
Just a quick question is your patrol auto by any chance?

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2010, 06:57 AM
Just a quick question is your patrol auto by any chance?

Certainly is mate

Bigrig
31st December 2010, 08:58 AM
Good to know it is just above where the water p!sses out inside the passenger footwell every time my air con evaporator clogs up with mud and crud!!! LOL ... Another tick for Nissan!!

YNOT
31st December 2010, 11:16 AM
If you get the chance Todd pull the carpet back a bit further and it will reveal the transmission computer in the footwell also. Again placed where it has the best chance of getting drowned.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2010, 09:43 PM
If you get the chance Todd pull the carpet back a bit further and it will reveal the transmission computer in the footwell also. Again placed where it has the best chance of getting drowned.

Tony

Thanks Tony, knew about that one, will take a pic of it when i get a chance and post it up. Yeh i have often wondered if it is my computer that is the culprit to my gearbox probs as I'm sure it has been drowned a few times :)

Clunk
31st December 2010, 10:21 PM
quick posiibly dumb question....... so if I were planning on getting into some deep water, would it be advisable to move said computers to a higher level? (if it's possible)

YNOT
31st December 2010, 10:23 PM
It is a good idea, I don't know if it's possible-easily anyway.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2010, 10:36 PM
quick posiibly dumb question....... so if I were planning on getting into some deep water, would it be advisable to move said computers to a higher level? (if it's possible)

Not a dumb question, I haven't heard / scene anyone change the position of the computers, I think from memory, the ECU would not be that much of a drama, If you got an auto elect involved, cant see why the tranny one would be any different. But if you plan on getting in deep water, be vary careful of those computers.

Clunk
31st December 2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys, not too worried about the water just yet, still learning in the dusty stuff at the mo. But always good to know that things could possibly be moved if and when needed.

GQ UTE
2nd January 2011, 10:50 AM
Just out of curiosity can any one tell me how many plugs are on the computer or is it just the one!
Thanks

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2011, 03:02 PM
Just out of curiosity can any one tell me how many plugs are on the computer or is it just the one!
Thanks

2 plugs Trent on my ECU ( pictured ), panting as i walk back inside from 700deg heat, think i need a :beer:

the evil twin
3rd January 2011, 12:23 AM
I hate to be a spoil sport but that isn't the Engine ECU...

That is the Auto Tranny ECU. (Nissan Part #31036)

Sama sama Tranny ECU is used in Patrols, Skylines and a couple of other Nissan vehicles/light trucks... 31036 - 37J00 is the GQ Patrol variant

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2011, 07:55 AM
I hate to be a spoil sport but that isn't the Engine ECU...

That is the Auto Tranny ECU. (Nissan Part #31036)

Sama sama Tranny ECU is used in Patrols, Skylines and a couple of other Nissan vehicles/light trucks... 31036 - 37J00 is the GQ Patrol variant

Now Im really confused, some people say it is, some people say its not.......I was never one too know much so probable am wrong.

Here is a screen shot from the Nissan Patrol Manual, Its under Emissions and Engine Control Systems so why would they display a pic of the tranny ECU???

the evil twin
3rd January 2011, 12:48 PM
Now Im really confused, some people say it is, some people say its not.......I was never one too know much so probable am wrong.

Here is a screen shot from the Nissan Patrol Manual, Its under Emissions and Engine Control Systems so why would they display a pic of the tranny ECU???

There are two ways to tell for sure...

One, take the part number on the Control Unit to Nissan or Google it

Two, modify the tranny performance by chopping wires and fitting relays, dropping resistors etc... if it's the Tranny ECU it will work, if its the Engine ECU really strange poopoo will happen.

As to why would the publisher take a pic of the wrong bit of kit?... My first question would be is that Pic from a Nissan factory manual?

All I'm saying is that in regards to my TB42EFI and also the part numbers clearly visible on the pics then that box in question is an Hitachi Auto Transmission ECU.

Also on any forum 50% will say one thing and 50% another... usually 50% are right and 50% wrong but on occassion 100% can be wrong. :1087:
I am usually in the latter 2 categories but this time I reckon I might have jagged it :p

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks ET and GQ UTE for the correction, this thread now located here

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2706-GQ-4.2-EFI-ECU-%28-Engine-Control-Unit-%29