PDA

View Full Version : Hekarewe's cape york adventures

hekarewe
10th June 2013, 04:27 PM
We have dreamt about it we haveplanned it and now we are actually doing it this thursday the 13th june we head of in the evening and head to harvy bay for the first night and then onto cairns by saturday lunch to meet my sister at cairns airport and then on sunday pick a rental 4wd for my sister and brother and then of to daintree village to meet the rest of the group main trip starts monday week out of daintree vilage

3 years in the planning and finally we are of to go north all very excited one more visit to torque to do a final service and once over on the trailer then pack up and be gone

we will be posting up pic's as and how we can during the trip and as we can get mobil recieption we are installing a wifi hub into the car with an external antena to get as much range as we can for it

so let me just say WATCH THIS SPOT!!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
10th June 2013, 04:35 PM
Have a safe trip mate, looking forward to the pics :)

Sir Roofy
10th June 2013, 04:53 PM
Good one our turn will come have a safe trip and looking forward to the action shots and wild life
keep an eye out for them crocadilles

Cuppa
10th June 2013, 05:14 PM
Will be watching with interest, have a great trip.

Safe travels,
Cuppa

hekarewe
11th June 2013, 06:50 AM
thanks for the kind wishes guys we will be as safe as we can in a place where everything in the water wants either sting bite or eat us LOL

to-day its of to torque 4x4 to dothe final checks and services and then its time to pack (oh crap thats scary) i have no idea how i wioll fit everything in will be a bit of stress and yelling i think

the food and the rest to sorted and packed

NP99
11th June 2013, 09:09 AM
Have a great trip mate. We all want to do it, it be good to hear your post trip report :)

Hey, those max trax will cop a fair bit of road chip abuse where they are mounted, have you had problems in the past being mounted there?

The wet weather you're leaving behind :)

hekarewe
11th June 2013, 07:18 PM
i have found that the only good thing for max trax's is to leave them on the trailer as stone guards it the only thing they do well one and only time i used them to get unbogged we had to go back with shovels and dig them out so we didnt get done for dumpiong!! LOL

i wiull be doing a running report as we go internet permitting

hekarewe
12th June 2013, 06:42 PM
phew what a day running around final bits and last bits at Torq4x4 a huge shout out of thanks to Dave and Steve at Torq for the last 2 days of pretrip servicing and fittings over the 2 days we fitted the daws value which is working nicely the light bar fitted and new stero in and cb moved plus the bearings on the trailer and service on the green machine new winch extention strap thank you guys!

started packing this evening and will finish to morrow and then we off feeling very excited its suddenly all to real and happening!!!!

hekarewe
15th June 2013, 08:09 PM
made it into Cairns today no pics as yet have been to busy driving to make up for time lost yesterday wih masses of road works between marybourgh and mackay but here we are now in cairns to morrow it is last minit shop and fuel and water for the camper and then onto daintree for the night at daimtree village hopefuly there early enough to break out one of the rods and give the barra a first bash for dinner thats it is for now

NissanGQ4.2
15th June 2013, 08:14 PM
Have a safe one mate, might just forgive this time around for no pics

hekarewe
15th June 2013, 08:17 PM
road works up here were shocking lost almost 3 hours yesterday because of all the stop n go's

NissanGQ4.2
15th June 2013, 08:30 PM
Sounds like the the great western highway in the blue mountains *L* buts its more like 110,100,80,60,40,60,80................

That's a lot of time to loose, hope you have a better run from here on in

hekarewe
16th June 2013, 07:32 PM
out of cairns onto daintree village along the capt cook highway was just beautiful first big fuel bill at cairns girls made it intime to do a river run on the daintree saw their first croc

hekarewe
22nd June 2013, 07:36 AM
we are now a few days on and are sitting on chilli beach with mobil phone and internet reception so now for an up day left daintree and travelled the bloomfield track to the lions den hotel and stayed a night there had dinner in hotel the place was a bit over rated for me food was awesume but thats it you can swim in the river behind it but the tiolets for the men were disgusting any more then 2 blokes in there and the showers would have no preasure and the toilets wouldnt flush very disappointing

then onto cooktown via the blackmountian range talk about being made to feel small black mountian is a must see with a look just after you turn onto muligan h/way from the lionsden (just the shit scared out of me bush turky walking into the dam ten LOL) cooktown its self is very pritty and full of history take your time to look around and read the plagues

moving on same day we headed to elim beach and camped at eddies place beautiful beach bring lots of airoguard LOL saw the coloured sands there and watch the sunrise next morning just devine

this was followed by a long day and about 300klm through the lakefied national park dust and more dust wouldnt miss it for the world devise landscape is an understatement from rainforest to flat bare plains and the bird life was amazeing stayed that night at musgrave road house if you can do it dont refuel there as it is cheeper in coen about 100klms north

at coen the following day we got our laundry done and wondered around the village and the creeks for a few hours fueled that for $1.78 per liter better then the $1.80 at musgrave from there it was a short hop to archer river roadhouse and camp where i had my first chance to fish in a cape york river flicked a spinner bait around a landed to very very small jungle perch LOL

then we left archer river and made good time to chilli beach stopping at the wentlock river gold diggings to find them just cross the wentlock and it is the first track on the left via right and in about 1klm very interesting

tomorrow we head for weipa for a couple of days not sure which way we will go yet will let you know when it happens

hekarewe
22nd June 2013, 07:41 AM
here is the last of this lot to make you all druel LOL enjoy them i have making them

NissanGQ4.2
22nd June 2013, 07:46 AM
I'm jealous

macca
22nd June 2013, 08:20 AM
Great trip report, thanks for posting. Enjoying your adventures.

happygu
22nd June 2013, 09:15 AM
here is the last of this lot to make you all druel LOL enjoy them i have making them

Na mate, lovin 2 degrees at the moment...... :shivering:

Great pics, sure looks good.

Mic

Cuppa
22nd June 2013, 12:19 PM
All good stuff, thanks. Were the falls in the pic before the Lions Den pic Bloomfield Falls? If so they had a lot more water flowing than when I saw them.

Cuppa

hekarewe
29th June 2013, 04:19 PM
All good stuff, thanks. Were the falls in the pic before the Lions Den pic Bloomfield Falls? If so they had a lot more water flowing than when I saw them.

Cuppa

yes they were blomfield falls were before lionsden hotel a little of the track but very easy to get to

hekarewe
29th June 2013, 04:49 PM
left chilli beach very disappointed after talking to the rangers yes rangers do check permits we were checked twice in 2 days.

got into a conversation with the ranger who told me that they were trying to get the local indigonise people to set up their own camp grounds i ask why as it would be compertion to theirs at chilli beach. it turns out that the government leases the land of the local land council as a naional park @ $140k per year and the $30K raise in camping fees do not go back to the national parks to run the camp sites but also go to the local land council so the the local community get $170K each year for doing nothing so why would they bother with making camp sites and working!!! rather discussting i think it costs Queensland parks $40K per year to maintane the sites at chilli beach! end of rant!!!

the run from chilli to weipa took us about 6 hours with a detour to a cattle station for lunch at Meloona downs lovely spot bit of the track but worth the effort

weipa is as it is a stop to stock up before pushing on to the tip nothing much there but a great feed at the thai wok resteraunt near woolies we hired a boat and self drove ourselfs around the esteries to fish and came up very short micks son had a nice big wahoo next to the boat but mick grab the line above the leader andlost it he is still paying for that LOL

weipa we laft and took the batavia downs rd across to bramwell junction very good road and saves a lot of time at bramwell we got told that the tele track was do able if you had a winch maybe!!!!so as i towing my camper we opted for a run around the PDR and came into the tele track from the northern end and back tracked to gunshot (watch this space for the vidio) then came back out doing cockatoo and then onto elliet falls and twin falls we camped at cockatoo and then camped again at canal creek check the pics of the crossing.

we moved on toward mistake creek and then turned back to the PDR (peninsular developent road) and on to the ferrie they stop for an hour for lunch daily and operate between 8am and 4.30pm

arrived in seiseia that pm and set up went up to the tip and then lunched at punsan bay resort beautiful place for lunch the tip was standing room only head there at low tide and take the easy walk around the mangroves and beach or if your hard core walk over the mountain

after the detour to punsan bay via a very unused track we went on to the croc tent where we emptied our pockets and filled the bags then home

today was sumerset homestead ruins not much there appart from a plague and grave and then did the drive around through the east coast beaches some of which was interesting and rocky on the way out to the main road we found a billabong and track into it where we stopped for lunch then on to the WW11 wrecks around bamaga airport only 2 to be een there now as the others have been raided by suvnoneer hunter to morrow i am hoping for one of the locals to take me pigging and maybe a scrub bull fingers crossed monday we do the fishing charter then think about the return trip home

hekarewe
29th June 2013, 04:54 PM
these are photos of today from the sumer set drive and ww2 wrecks

Dhuck
29th June 2013, 06:04 PM
Good to see you guys made it. We are so envious. Will call you lots of names when you get home and come for bbq. love the pics please send more so Bec feels as if she is there with you.

I feel sorry for you if she was. lol

hekarewe
30th June 2013, 11:11 AM
will take you up on the offer of the BBq on our return dhuck and will bring over the lap top for the holiday slide show bit of old school entertainment for you only up to about 300 pics so far that will make you feel like your were up here with us LOL

Dhuck
30th June 2013, 11:22 AM
Sounds like a plan mate.

hekarewe
5th July 2013, 09:31 PM
its all over now left seisia a couple of days ago and stopped at bramwell station over night where we met biddy the brolga and noodle the texas long horn cross brahman steer both house pets and trouble makers

then a night palmer river road house with a stunning sunrise we stayed in one of their igloos and now we sit in cairns in a flash as gas hotel room before we head home over the weekend

once back we will catch up with the others and swap pics then i should have a few more interesting to share

megatexture
5th July 2013, 10:43 PM
Awsome pics Adrian, if your going anywhere near Mossman Go by the Mossman Gorge its a refreshing swim and bueatiful place , but as dhuck said more pics! lol.

TPC
6th July 2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks for sharing, that is on my list of Must Do trips, great photos and enjoy your write ups too.

hempo
8th July 2013, 07:42 PM
Great write up and photos Adrian. Were you heading south through sarina today?

hekarewe
8th July 2013, 07:49 PM
Mater of fact i was hempo heading south very dirty still and johnno's camper in tow,,,,, prob moving pritty quick to LOL stopping over night to night in bundy back home tomorrow afternoon then,,,,,,,,, the clean up!!! and edit vidis etc

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 12:55 PM
ok here we go the first of the vidios hekarewe doing gun shot north to south

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQfRn4ZU5mc&feature=youtu.be

threedogs
10th July 2013, 01:00 PM
Good stuff did you scape your butt on the way out ???

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 01:21 PM
yes plowed the field with the tow bar

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdsnjzCNxqs&feature=youtu.be

pascoe river in the portland road

hempo
10th July 2013, 01:41 PM
am sure the roadworks slowed you down on the run south from Rocky.

threedogs
10th July 2013, 01:44 PM
Looks awesome whats damage bill so far, flats etc.
Plus is everything working the way it should. Have you taken too much not enough.?
I was there in 1983 but early September. Love it and jealous.
Stay safe, look forward to trip report on return

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 01:44 PM
am sure the roadworks slowed you down on the run south from Rocky.

not slow enough thoiugh,,,, got nige photo in the mail waiting for me on my return lol

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 02:13 PM
Looks awesome whats damage bill so far, flats etc.
Plus is everything working the way it should. Have you taken too much not enough.?
I was there in 1983 but early September. Love it and jealous.
Stay safe, look forward to trip report on return

no flats no break downs no damage just lots of preporation. never ran out of anything and the only spares i used was replacing the air filter at bramwell station on the return trip also ditched the air ram and used a donaldson pre filter fish bowl to get most of the dust out before it got to the air filter. only other spare i used was a MAS sensor that i gave to a chap at Palmer river who had his MAS failed him in his nissan other then that it was fun times all round

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 02:31 PM
http://youtu.be/CDO69EqOPz0

cockatoo creek north to south

threedogs
10th July 2013, 02:38 PM
Said it in one word "preparation".
All sounds good , just about to get snorkel, but had to convince myself I needed
4" hole in perfectly good guard. X 2 on the Donaldson, Great for the Outback.
What tyres and were they new for this trip??mainly for others planning same trip.

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 02:47 PM
Said it in one word "preparation".
All sounds good , just about to get snorkel, but had to convince myself I needed
4" hole in perfectly good guard. X 2 on the Donaldson, Great for the Outback.
What tyres and were they new for this trip??mainly for others planning same trip.

used Maxxis big horn fitted 2 new tyres before heading as i had ripped side wall out of one and found a split in another from the rock at janowen hills before trip

threedogs
10th July 2013, 02:56 PM
Research and preparation cant beat them, this is a great tip for anyone planning an extended trip.
Doing the "TIP" is one of the last great outback trips other than the CSR. Might get boring hearing it over and over again .
Details ,research and prep. equals a great and hopefully trouble free trip that will stay in your memory for a long, long time.
Two thumbs up, Stay safe for remainder of your trip, any Croc Sightings LOL. Fish, its the hottest fishing place on the planet

hekarewe
10th July 2013, 03:20 PM
Research and preparation cant beat them, this is a great tip for anyone planning an extended trip.
Doing the "TIP" is one of the last great outback trips other than the CSR. Might get boring hearing it over and over again .
Details ,research and prep. equals a great and hopefully trouble free trip that will stay in your memory for a long, long time.
Two thumbs up, Stay safe for remainder of your trip, any Croc Sightings LOL. Fish, its the hottest fishing place on the planet

ahuge thanks to Dave at Torq4x4 for all the pretrip preperation work and perventative mait both on the truck and on the camper thanks a heep dave job well done and the daws valve worked a treat