PDA

View Full Version : New setup

lhurley
5th June 2013, 10:29 PM
The time has come that i need some new suspension. I current have EFS 2" in it, it not to bad on road, and fairly good off road as well.

This time round i want a bit more out of it. I would like it to still be nice on road, but i also want it to perform well off road. I dont go crazy off road, but i also dont like taking the chicken track.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_34_187&products_id=6099

Have been looking at this kit, has any one had any experience with it?? Or is there something else i should be looking for??

They also have the same set up in 3", wouldnt mind going slightly bigger.

Thanks in advance
Lachlan

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2013, 11:15 PM
That will be a tidy setup mate.

I run a 3" lift on my GUIV with Old Man Emu comp spec springs and shocks and bolt in drop boxes. No panard were required and its awesome as a tourer and solid offroad performer.

No hesitation.

The Superior gear Is top rated and with those remote reservoir units you can't go wrong.

Seriously consider the 3" but understand that you are beyond Australian Standards.

Enjoy.

nissannewby
6th June 2013, 09:27 AM
How about this one

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_179&products_id=16026

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 09:40 AM
How about this one

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_179&products_id=16026

very nice setup there mate. bit more cash but nice.

lhurley
6th June 2013, 10:00 AM
Sweet as. I already have a superior adjustable pan hard in the front, would it be ideal to do the back as well if I go 3"??

If I go 3", are drop boxes really needed?? Could I just get away with caster bushes?? Superior drop boxes say the are for 4"+, would that not give me positive camber??

Also, what kind of life expectancy should I be expecting?? I don't want to be spending $2k on suspension for it to only last a year.

lhurley
6th June 2013, 10:01 AM
How about this one

I have looked at that. But I don't think I can justify spending $3000 on suspension. I get the superflex arms are better, but are they a thousand bucks better??

Ben-e-boy
6th June 2013, 10:36 AM
How about this one

X2 on that kit. If you get tge appropriate springs on the front, they are $1000 better. It willbe a good all rounder.

nissannewby
6th June 2013, 10:58 AM
Yes $1000 bucks better will transform it off road. Just get them drilled for sway bars.

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 11:45 AM
Sweet as. I already have a superior adjustable pan hard in the front, would it be ideal to do the back as well if I go 3"??

If I go 3", are drop boxes really needed?? Could I just get away with caster bushes?? Superior drop boxes say the are for 4"+, would that not give me positive camber??

Also, what kind of life expectancy should I be expecting?? I don't want to be spending $2k on suspension for it to only last a year.

Sorry on the phone now but if you search "GU Drop boxes" on eBay you will find 3" bolt ins. That is what I run and love them. Caster correction bushes are JUNK! Leave the factory Nissan bushes in place and fit the drop boxes. I have and love it.

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 11:54 AM
These are the drop boxes I run on my GUIV

GU Drop Boxes 3" to 6" bolt in no cut (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=151057477796&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=31649652508)

lhurley
6th June 2013, 01:16 PM
As much as I want to get the kit with the superflex arms, I think the arms might have to be a future mod. Just can't justify that much money. But I will get the 3" kit with those drop boxes. What sort of life should I be expecting out of those shocks??

Ben-e-boy
6th June 2013, 06:58 PM
It depends on how you drive them. I have had shocks start to tramp after 10k km. You can always buy the superflex arm and use the standard arm on the other side, I think it is $650 for the superflex arm

happygu
6th June 2013, 07:11 PM
The Poly Caster Correction Bushes are junk and wont last long, from experience.

Rubber better again

Drop boxes betterer again.

lhurley
6th June 2013, 07:25 PM
It depends on how you drive them. I have had shocks start to tramp after 10k km. You can always buy the superflex arm and use the standard arm on the other side, I think it is $650 for the superflex arm

I dont go that hard, i do a fair bit of highway driving. The single arm goes on the passenger side?? Correct?? Why get only 1 arm?? Shouldnt the front flex equal on both sides?

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 07:33 PM
This is my guiv with a 3" Old Man Emu comp spec lift with Nitrocharger sport shocks and those drop boxes. does ok. ;)

IMHO My GU IV TD42Ti is near on set perfect as a tourer. Just a Gem mate!

:bowdown:
http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/GU%20IV/DSC_5056_2.jpg?t=1294144494

nissannewby
6th June 2013, 07:52 PM
Only need the flex arm on one side. Binding is what stops the front ends from working better so with the flex arm this kind of removes one set allowing more flex. And by retaining one normal arm road manners aren't effected to badly.

Ben-e-boy
6th June 2013, 08:09 PM
I dont go that hard, i do a fair bit of highway driving. The single arm goes on the passenger side?? Correct?? Why get only 1 arm?? Shouldnt the front flex equal on both sides?

One arm is the same shape as the standard arm. The other one is the superflex arm. If you run 2 superflex arms you will shear the tie rod ends when you flex (i f the shocks allow it ) and I think it affects the handling with of the same Thats why there is only 1

lhurley
6th June 2013, 08:30 PM
One arm is the same shape as the standard arm. The other one is the superflex arm. If you run 2 superflex arms you will shear the tie rod ends when you flex (i f the shocks allow it ) and I think it affects the handling with of the same Thats why there is only 1

Ah i see. Thanks. Still think it will be a future mod. Need to get the repairs done before the mods.

lhurley
6th June 2013, 08:36 PM
This is my guiv with a 3" Old Man Emu comp spec lift with Nitrocharger sport shocks and those drop boxes. does ok. ;)

IMHO My GU IV TD42Ti is near on set perfect as a tourer. Just a Gem mate!

That is quite impressive. To say you're a little proud would be an understatement.

I am starting to get excited about the new set up. Damn you guys and spending my money :p

I do appreciate the help though, if your ever up this way there will be a beer in the fridge with your name on it.

Ben-e-boy
6th June 2013, 08:43 PM
That is quite impressive. To say you're a little proud would be an understatement.

I am starting to get excited about the new set up. Damn you guys and spending my money :p

I do appreciate the help though, if your ever up this way there will be a beer in the fridge with your name on it.

Spending other people's money is my forte' lol

lhurley
23rd June 2013, 09:09 PM
As i have been waiting on other things to get sorted, i have not yet got my new suspension, and i have still been looking around.
That has lead to a couple questions,

Has anyone had any experience with the suspension stuff "flexy coils"?
http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1980_137_40_68&products_id=1085
2" height but the flex of a 4", that sounds pretty good to me, if it actually does that.

Providing the suspension stuff coils are what they say they are, i am looking to get the following,
2" suspension stuff flexy coils
3" Profender remote res shocks
drop boxes
and of course brake lines.

Just looking for thought on that kind of set up.
Im also open to suggestions for other products that are better.

Cheers in advance
lachlan

PatrolStu
26th July 2013, 12:35 AM
Hi, I recently had fitted the below items. I'm really happy with how it all works and it is still within the legal height. These were purchased from suspension stuff, and I think they gave me good advice.

2" Flexy Coil Tough Dog Adjustable Shock Kit for Nissan Patrol GU
1 x pr front coils FLEXNFR-455/485 Longer Coil on Drivers Side
1 x pr rear coils FLEXNRE-525X/540X Longer Coil on Drivers Side/Taper End to Top
1 x pr Tough Dog 45mm Adjustable Shock 3" front GQ-GU Product #19167 P/O 8468
1 x pr Tough Dog 45mm Adjustable Shock 4" Rear GQ-GU Product #1575 P/O 8468
1 x rear Brake Hose to suit 4"
1 x Brake Bias Bracket suit 2"
1 x Diff Breather Hose
1 x pr Sway Bar Extension Brackets
Upgrades
1 x front brake hose to suit 4" (ABS)
1 x 23.N3004 steering damper
1 x set 5802 Castor Bushes 2 deg
1 x pr Control arms lower rear Standard Length For 4.8lt GU Product #8206 P/O 8468
1 x Drag link Comp Spec 4340m 2-7" Suits 1/2000 Wagon to current model Product #1314 P/O 8468

When my mechanic fitted it all, he found the diff was not exactly center, so I also purchased separately adjustable panhard rods. Some of these things generally are not required for a 2inch lift, but I wanted to do it right the first time, and ensure everything used was tough. So far so good :-)
Cheers