PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters

Smally 01
4th June 2013, 03:40 PM
I have a 2006 Patrol Ute with 4.2 6 cylinder turbo intercooled diesel. I've been advised that there are two different oil filters ( Z503 & Z 416). Does anyone know what the difference is and how are they fitted. Which one goes to the front.

nissannewby
4th June 2013, 04:16 PM
It's pretty obvious as the threads are different. Your model however should have the engine with 2 of the same filters. Only the early td42t engines had the different ones then they went back to 2 the same

macca
4th June 2013, 04:37 PM
Mine is the same as yours but a 2005, the filters are both the same.
It is a shit changing them as oil goes everywhere. Started leaving it to drain overnight and the oil left in the filters is way less.
Also move the fuel filter out of the way to give better access.

Cuppa
4th June 2013, 09:03 PM
Mine is an '06 4.2 TDi - 2 x Z503

I have to admit my amazement that after a century of developing the internal combustion engine for automotive purposes & the '06 TDi being the end of the line of that engine's evolution that such poor consideration has been given to the ease of basic servicing. Whoever made the decision to make those filters so inaccessible should have been shot! And for any new owner .... it's impossible to see which filters you need until you remove the old ones which is a pia unless you live next door to the filter shop.

I like the idea of letting the motor drain overnight to reduce the amount of oil in the filters.

Cuppa

nissannewby
4th June 2013, 09:06 PM
Using filters that have an anti drain back in them also helps, it's good for start up as well as the filters stay full and oil pressure is gained quicker.

Cuppa
4th June 2013, 09:08 PM
Using filters that have an anti drain back in them also helps, it's good for start up as well as the filters stay full and oil pressure is gained quicker.

Do Ryco's have that?

nissannewby
4th June 2013, 09:11 PM
I can find out

nissannewby
4th June 2013, 09:26 PM
It seems they do cuppa. You will generally notice when they are new the oil light takes about 2 sec, as they go through their life (hot,cold, pressure etc) they will lose a bit of tension on the anti drain back valve and may take up to 5 sec. This can many variables (filter quality, oil quality etc)

Cuppa
4th June 2013, 09:46 PM
So with Ryco Z503's letting my motor drain overnight won't do much to reduce the quantity of oil in the filters prior to their removal then?

nissannewby
4th June 2013, 09:58 PM
It will a little. I havent seen a filter thats perfect at it, plus there will always be residue in the filter head.

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2013, 10:00 PM

I have to admit my amazement that after a century of developing the internal combustion engine for automotive purposes & the '06 TDi being the end of the line of that engine's evolution that such poor consideration has been given to the ease of basic servicing. Whoever made the decision to make those filters so inaccessible should have been shot! And for any new owner .... it's impossible to see which filters you need until you remove the old ones which is a pia unless you live next door to the filter shop.

I like the idea of letting the motor drain overnight to reduce the amount of oil in the filters.

Cuppa

It's a disgrace!!!

*****Hey! Let's mount the dirty filthy 1lt oil filters Horizontally! Hell Yeah we will!!

NP99
5th June 2013, 12:34 AM
It's a disgrace!!!

*****Hey! Let's mount the dirty filthy 1lt oil filters Horizontally! Hell Yeah we will!!

I think you can with a mod out there......

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2013, 09:46 AM
Hey they could have mounted them vertically and screw off with the entry at the bottom!!! That's the Only way it would make More Mess than it does now!!! I did an oil and filter change on the GUIV on the weekend and its just sooooo messy.

I have a neat little attachment that was made to bolt to the side of the td42 below the 2 oil filters which catches the lot and is awesome but would not fit the TD42Ti damn it. I have it fitted to the GQ but not the GUIV.

Drew
5th June 2013, 10:43 AM

Cuppa
Take longer to do the oil ??? How else are they going to make $$$$ in the future :)

Winnie
5th June 2013, 11:01 AM
Hey they could have mounted them vertically and screw off with the entry at the bottom!!! That's the Only way it would make More Mess than it does now!!! I did an oil and filter change on the GUIV on the weekend and its just sooooo messy.

I have a neat little attachment that was made to bolt to the side of the td42 below the 2 oil filters which catches the lot and is awesome but would not fit the TD42Ti damn it. I have it fitted to the GQ but not the GUIV.

I remember seeing something like that a long time ago before I bought the party bus even! I cannot find it now though, have you got a link?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2013, 11:05 AM
I remember seeing something like that a long time ago before I bought the party bus even! I cannot find it now though, have you got a link?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

No sorry Chris, it was designed and made by a guy on patrol4x4 many moons ago, he only made a few and I bought 2.

I have one in the shed. I will take a when I get time and post it up.

Having another look at the GUIV on the weekend I might try to fit it again next change.

Damn it's soooo messy!

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2013, 11:06 AM
I have read guys say they put a shopping bag over the oil filter before they undo it and it will catch all the oil. Might try that next time.

nissannewby
5th June 2013, 11:15 AM
It not so much the oil in the filter you lose but what's in the filter head as well. Being vertical would still see oil being spilt

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2013, 01:32 PM
It not so much the oil in the filter you lose but what's in the filter head as well. Being vertical would still see oil being spilt

if they er mounted vertically with the fill hole at the top though it would not be anywhere near as messy as it currently is though yeah? Its just Wrong now!

nissannewby
5th June 2013, 02:27 PM
Possibly. With filters with a better anti drain back in them you should only get 100ml approx spill. If the filters were vertical then the size of the filter head would determine how much oil will be spilt.
It comes down to room constraints really, you could remote mount them but this could harder than its worth.

It isn't the best setup but it is still one of the easiest in a passenger vehicle. Ask a new cruiser owner where there oil filter is and for a laugh where the starter is

Drew
6th June 2013, 09:01 AM
Possibly. With filters with a better anti drain back in them you should only get 100ml approx spill. If the filters were vertical then the size of the filter head would determine how much oil will be spilt.
It comes down to room constraints really, you could remote mount them but this could harder than its worth.

It isn't the best setup but it is still one of the easiest in a passenger vehicle. Ask a new cruiser owner where there oil filter is and for a laugh where the starter is

oh come on don't leave us hanging, i need a laugh today. :)

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2013, 09:06 AM
OK found the guy that does the Oil catch trays for the TD42. i will let you all know details soon.

nissannewby
6th June 2013, 09:08 AM
oh come on don't leave us hanging, i need a laugh today. :)

Starter motor is in the valley. It's a 12 hr job to change one. The oil filters are jammed under neath in a cartridge style filter.

Drew
6th June 2013, 09:43 AM
Starter motor is in the valley. It's a 12 hr job to change one. The oil filters are jammed under neath in a cartridge style filter.
12 Effin hours !! ........ Drew picks himself up off the floor and wipes the tears of laughter away .... oh that's sad but I suppose they don't go too often.

nissannewby
6th June 2013, 11:00 AM
You'd be surprised. Many have gone inside the 50k mark

Drew
6th June 2013, 11:59 AM
You'd be surprised. Many have gone inside the 50k mark
Ouch that's gotta hurt

Big Red
9th July 2013, 01:16 PM
These Ryco Oil Filters all have the same thread but different diameters and lengths
thread info = 3/4-16-UNF-2B
model - Thread-seal dia-dia-length
Z9=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-142=ford
z170=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-99=2.8 petrol MQ Patrol
z115=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-142=4.0 petrol MK Patrol
z170=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-99=4.2 petrol carby GQ Patrol
z115=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-142=4.2 diesel GQ Patrol
z145a=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 63-82-102=3.0 petrol GQ Patrol *** check seal surface to make sure seal fits!
z503=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-127=one of the TD42 filters GU non turbo Patrol
z503=3/4"-16-UNF-2B, 70-94-127=one of the TD42T filters GU series 1 Patrol

So i can use the Z9 on the above as they are much cheaper and more available.

Note*these filters below are different thread sizes.
R2154P = cartridge filter, G60
R2419P = cartridge filter, MQ SD33 diesel
Z149 = 1"-12-UNF-2B, 70-94-178= MK SD33 non turbo and SD33T turbo diesel
Z416 = 1"-12-UNF-2B, 70-97-127 is used on 2.8TD and second filter on GU TD42 non turbo and TD42T turbo diesel series 1
Z547 = M20-x1.5-6H, 63-68-86= 4.5 and 4.8 petrol Patrol
R2593P = cartridge filter, 3.0TD Patrol

Cuppa
9th July 2013, 03:23 PM
Are there any disadvantages with using z9’s in place of z503’s?

I only ask because I have a couple of z9's sitting in a cupboard from when I had an Falcon.

Do they have an anti drain valve?
How do they go fitting into the limited space on the TD42i as I think they are a bit longer?

Cuppa

Cuppa
13th July 2013, 01:19 PM
Hi, I have a 2006 Nissan Patrol, with the 4.2TDi diesel motor. Normally I use Z503 oil filters. However I have a couple of Z9 oil filters sitting in a cupboard. They have the same thread as the Z503's & both types have an anti drain back valve, so I am wondering if there is any reason I should not use the two Z9's on my next oil change? I would welcome your advice on this.
Thanks,

Hello Cuppa

Thank you for your enquiry. The two filters while looking similar we do not recommend as directly interchangeable as they have different internal valving. The Z503 only has anti-drain back valve whereas the Z9 has the anti-drain back valve and a relief valve. Our recommendations are designed to ensure that the filter works to it maximum specification and performance for that particular application. We recommend you use the correct filter for your vehicle to ensure that you have the maximum coverage of our warranty in the event you were to experience any problems. Hope this information is useful.

Regards Ryco Customer Service

Elsewhere I read a response to the same question from Ryco which said you could use the Z9 in place of the Z503 but not the other way around,....... but do so at your own risk, our warrant wont cover you.

Cuppa

Winnie
13th July 2013, 02:06 PM
OK found the guy that does the Oil catch trays for the TD42. i will let you all know details soon.

Well??????

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 02:23 PM
I have just checked and he is not about. I sent him another pm with my contact and will let you know mate.

Cuppa
13th July 2013, 04:42 PM
I changed my oil filters yesterday, did as macca suggested & let the oil drain overnight before removing the filters. It certainly made quite a difference to the amount of oil which spills down over everything below the filters. I also removed the fuel filter first which made access to the oil filters easier, but they are still a bugger to get too.

Hardest was removing the fuel filter from the filter plate. I would't have thought that I put it on so tight, but I couldn't unscrew it with a filter strap wrench - bent the wrench trying! Would be a problem out on the road with no vice to put the filter mounting plate in. Eventually got it undone with a pair of large mouth vise grips & a number of indentations in the old filter. Last changed 10,000kms ago. Had about 1/4 teaspoon of snotty brown gunk & about a tablespoon of water in it. Will have to think how best to plan for filter removal on the road, as if it were that hard to get off again we could be stuck if we picked up a dirty batch of fuel. Friend had to change fuel filters several times over two days in a remote area after getting bad fuel.

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 04:50 PM
Fuel filter is really quite simple Cuppa. You don't need to remove the fuel filter to do the oil filters unless you changing it too. ;)

Just undo the plunger from the mount, disconnect both hoses and take the whole thing out of the way ;)

If you want to undo the fuel filter then undo the mount as above and mount it Upsidedown back onto the mount so the filter is up in the air (as good as having it in a vice mate ;) ) then just undo it.

When you have refitted the fuel filter housing then just fit the supply hose only and put a cup or cut up coke bottle under the out side going to the fuel pump and use the hand pump until the fuel come and then keep pumping until there is a constant stream and no air then reconnect the hose.

Happy days. Easy as. Anywhere on the planet. ;)

Cuppa
13th July 2013, 05:03 PM
Fuel filter is really quite simple Cuppa. You don't need to remove the fuel filter to do the oil filters unless you changing it too. ;)

Just undo the plunger from the mount, disconnect both hoses and take the whole thing out of the way ;)

If you want to undo the fuel filter then undo the mount as above and mount it Upsidedown back onto the mount so the filter is up in the air (as good as having it in a vice mate ;) ) then just undo it.

When you have refitted the fuel filter housing then just fit the supply hose only and put a cup or cut up coke bottle under the out side going to the fuel pump and use the hand pump until the fuel come and the. Keep pumping until there is a constant stream and no air then reconnect the hose.

Happy days. Easy as. Anywhere on the planet. ;)

Ah but......
I did need to change the filter.
Certainly a good tip about bolting it back onto it's bracket upside down ....... but in this case I assure you that I would have bent the bracket, it was on that tight! But handy to know I don't need a large bench vice on the road provided I don't overtighten the filter in the first place. I was careful this time, but did notice the whole filter turning a bit more when I tightened the bottom hex.

In regard to pumping until fuel comes out. I have tried this, but have never succeeded in getting fuel to come out. Admittedly this is only the second time I've changed the fuel filter, & on each occasion have screwed the filter assembly on empty. I've pumped away for some time & then given up, & decided just to connect the outlet hose & try the ignition key. On both occasions the motor has just fired up as normal & continued running without a hiccup.

Cuppa

nissannewby
13th July 2013, 05:08 PM
You gotta pump them pretty vigorously for it to happen.

Cuppa
13th July 2013, 05:20 PM
You gotta pump them pretty vigorously for it to happen.

Yeah, it's a pretty short stroke.
I assume that my lift pump (if that's the correct term) must fill the filter before the fuel pump runs dry. Not sure what happened to the air that was in the filter, because as I say, the motor didn't miss a beat. Just started immediately & ran normally. I would have expected some misfiring if the air went through the fuel pump & were injected into the cylinders in place of fuel?

nissannewby
13th July 2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah you would know if it sucked air. If it works cuppa I wouldn't worry about doing it any other way.

portal pat
23rd July 2013, 11:16 PM
Changing one at a time is helpful as it gives your hand a reference to line the new filter up against the remaining one. Then you buy a Cross Country intercooler and it all goes to shit LOL

MudRunnerTD
23rd July 2013, 11:24 PM
Changing one at a time is helpful as it gives your hand a reference to line the new filter up against the remaining one. Then you buy a Cross Country intercooler and it all goes to shit LOL

Portal Pat!

Damn mate, thought you had gone and done a big Lap mate, have you still got that very special tray back mate? Have not seen another so well set up.

How are the Portals going a few years down now. Post an update in your build thread mate.

portal pat
23rd July 2013, 11:58 PM
Portal Pat!

Damn mate, thought you had gone and done a big Lap mate, have you still got that very special tray back mate? Have not seen another so well set up.

How are the Portals going a few years down now. Post an update in your build thread mate.

Yes, still got it mate and still love it. Continues to evolve. Portals going well. Had to do some maintenance on one side but that was my bad with bearing adjustment overlooked.

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2013, 12:00 AM
Yes, still got it mate and still love it. Continues to evolve. Portals going well. Had to do some maintenance on one side but that was my bad with bearing adjustment overlooked.

Awesome Pat, i dug out your build thread mate and bumped it to the top, it would be great to see an update in there mate and some current pics of the car if you have some. Good to see you here, always liked your car mate.

Cheers MR

portal pat
24th July 2013, 12:13 AM
Awesome Pat, i dug out your build thread mate and bumped it to the top, it would be great to see an update in there mate and some current pics of the car if you have some. Good to see you here, always liked your car mate.

Cheers MR

Done and dusted.

choochie
24th July 2013, 12:17 AM

Chickens td42 oil spill tray from the patrol4x4 forums?