PDA

View Full Version : info on 1987 MQ

leighton1234
3rd June 2013, 09:26 PM
seen a nissan patrol MQ for sale ad says its 1987, petrol and thats about it just after some more information

taslucas
3rd June 2013, 10:24 PM
Hi mate, first off, can you head over to the introductions thread and say hi there? No harm done, just something we ask everyone to do.

Secondly, are you able to contact the seller for more details? That may be the best bet. As far as i know, the MQ came out with two petrol engines; the L28- a 2.8 litre carby powered four cylinder and the P40- a 4 litre carby powered straight six

leighton1234
3rd June 2013, 11:41 PM
thanks. im still waiting on a reply from him. just out of curiosity what are the 2.8 litres like? ive heard that they can be quite weak, just wondering what they're like.

taslucas
4th June 2013, 07:59 AM
I dont know much about the MQs, hopefully someone will be along soon to help you more.
The L28 engines are pretty strong, if not a little thirsty. The engine also came out in the Datsun Z cars so anything performance stuff thats was made for them will also bolt straight onto the Patrol engine.

Lawrence
5th June 2013, 02:17 AM
Here is some info http://nissan.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/project/project918.html
I got into Patrols with an 87 mk ute myself. It was a 5 speed with a NA Sd33 engine. That was one of the first articles that I had ever read on a Patrol years ago. Very informative.

GQ TANK
5th June 2013, 07:55 PM
The MK is a great 4wd - but rough on the back - has leaf springs. Will go any where a GQ will.

The L28 is a bit under powered - I prefer My gq over my old MK ride wise.

(I ended up putting a rb30 gq motor inot)

MQ MAD
9th June 2013, 02:01 PM
L28s are a mighty tuff little motor

I run one in my MK shorty, screams its lungs out, bit light on torque compared to the diesels, bit tuff as hell ....
Bolt on gear as mentioned if it fits a Z car L series, itll bolt in the patrol
Twin carbs,triple carbs, EFI ,turbo all factory options for these engines, just not in patrols .....
The lower less popular out of theses models, everyone wants the diesels,specially the turbo versions,hence why the petrols are sometimes the cheaper version ...
Spend a coupla grand on one (MQ/MK) itll be the best fun cheap toy youll ever own

jordanp
10th August 2013, 01:33 AM
Have an MQ '86 and never missed a beat (until it went under in the floods!). Did a lot of work around the property before then and never had an issue with the petrol engine

jordanp
10th August 2013, 01:34 AM
Woops. Just saw this was an old thread. Sorry about that.
leighton1234, did you end up going for it?

GQ TANK
23rd August 2013, 11:35 AM
HMMM - 87 would have been a MK - rectangle headlights