PDA

View Full Version : Extra rear step

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 02:52 PM
Hi all. I've come up with an idea to allow access to your roofrack safely.
Can,t give too much away but will have working model of one by the end of the week.
It will be "rated' to except 150 kg, If your bigger sorry I can't help. In the meantime heres one that'll be similar to look at only, This will be powder coated Yellow and bolted to the side of my Faux wheel giving me access to the roof rack another piece of checker plate will be rivetted to top of faux wheel. Might have to use Billy bleed as a crash tester, lol. Reasonably confident it'll work first time. you will not need to drill any holes with my design. its easy as really. stay tuned.

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 03:17 PM
@P4trol was thinking of that but found an easier way that'll fit all 4x4 with wheel on door or swing away.
If Nissan didn't put the lump in middle of the rear wheel holder and had nuts instead of studs , life would
be so much easier

meh
3rd June 2013, 06:03 PM
Extreme limits off road do a similar one of these aswell
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x4-Rear-Door-Spare-Tyre-Step-Ladder-Sure-Footed-Access-to-Roof-Racks-/230986605882

threedogs
4th June 2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks MEH ,never saw that, but mines a lot different, You can use over centre catch, This is for the DIY guys and gals.
Some chain ,scrap checker plate, mine I'll be powder coating black and highlighting tread in yellow. when all tensioned up should support your weight till you're standing on top of spare. now off to powder coaters. satin black.
Chain should bite into rubber of spare

BigRAWesty
4th June 2013, 01:50 PM
Looking good TD.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca
4th June 2013, 04:27 PM
Very clever, making it safe to climb with wet boots etc.
Easy to pack away if not needed as well.
Good luck with it

mudnut
4th June 2013, 05:39 PM
G'day 3D. I was thinking of the same sort of thing, but making it to fit into a snow chain on the spare. I can't lift anything overhead, so I don't even have a roof rack, but the extra step would make me consider getting one. I don't know the laws regarding snow chains, but I've always wanted to try them to get through mud.

threedogs
4th June 2013, 05:49 PM
Snow chains are frowned upon out bush as they just rip tracks to shreds
Be easy enogh to retro fit to snow chains ,maybe easier, just make step
so it clamps onto chain.
Going to go another way, as was pointed out to me by Kallen ,way to many tyre variations,
I have plenty of laser cut brackets to put one in centre of wheel, just thought this would work better.
Been thinking of colour for my one too, all yellow or all red will look stupid, so I'm powder coating it
Satin black and I'll highlight the tread pattern on the steel by hand either white or yellow, need to see what enamel
is lying around

BigRAWesty
4th June 2013, 10:37 PM
Good to hear I'm of assistance.. was wondering if you got my pm..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)