PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of winches and cradles for a Gq with alloy bar and low mount winch

mudnut
2nd June 2013, 11:42 AM
I have asked this question on another thread, but I thought I might get a wider response. Does anyone have pictures as per heading, or know of a link which might direct me to pics.

threedogs
2nd June 2013, 11:52 AM
Your cradle could be min 6mm ,bolted between the chassis rails
Take into account how it pulls when designing it, You might need
to make a plate with 3xnuts welded on it, to slide down inside of LH chassis rail.
captive nuts only on drivers side, holding OE hookon.
Check "makeitfits" winch bar build plenty of pics for you

mudnut
2nd June 2013, 12:13 PM
I have just read through makefits thread. It has given me a pretty good idea, thanks 3D.

threedogs
2nd June 2013, 12:27 PM
The only thing he hasn't done yet is poly block in the end of his bar.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with

mudnut
2nd June 2013, 02:05 PM
I have just spent half an hour trying to upload pics of the cardboard winch mock-up sitting in the available space. I will have to make the cradle on an angle, or extend the bar mounts, which will extended the whole vehicles length and ruin the departure angle.

mudnut
2nd June 2013, 02:41 PM
Had another go.

mudnut
3rd June 2013, 10:03 AM
I have decided to do away with the recovery points and incorporate them into the cradle. I will use 25mm mild steel plate with a single hole, instead of a slot. This will give it way more strength than what I already have. A ten mm plate will be welded between them. Am I right to do this, or is there a concern that the recovery points are unrated?

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 10:07 AM
Are they my recovery points or copies??
Go down the Supermarket have a quick look at any other
GQs with winches. might get lucky and run into owner who might let you stick
your head under to get some ideas

mudnut
3rd June 2013, 10:21 AM
I have no idea whose recovery points they are, 3D. I picked them up for 20$, off a local who got rid of his Q. He has also got rid of his U and bought a Navara ute. They are some sort of alloy. There aren't many Q's down here, that is why I was asking for photos.