PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question time

MEGOMONSTER
2nd June 2013, 11:40 AM
When 4 hi or low, can you go in reverse for a period of time

Not sure why I'm asking but the question popped into my head.

growler2058
2nd June 2013, 11:41 AM
Yup no dramas

threedogs
2nd June 2013, 11:43 AM
Drive as normal

Sir Roofy
2nd June 2013, 11:43 AM
when 4 hi or low, can you go in reverse for a period of time

not sure why i'm asking but the question popped into my head.

you can mate

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2013, 11:46 AM
But..... You should Lock your Auto hubs or they may disengage.

taslucas
Yup no dramas

x2, unless you own a gutlux. My mate blew his gutlux gearbox the other day by reversing down hill in low range on super slick orange clay for a total of 5 metres!!....... man those things are weak!

lmao.

MEGOMONSTER
I remember reading about binding gears or something and can't remember what that was about and this thought came to my head.

growler2058
2nd June 2013, 11:48 AM
I remember reading about binding gears or something and can't remember what that was about and this thought came to my head.

With auto hubs or it pays to reverse to stop axle wind up after a session

EDIT: Actually that may be just for full time 4wd like Prado etc

MEGOMONSTER
2nd June 2013, 11:48 AM

Double thanks for this one, I would have just left it as AUTO.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd June 2013, 11:50 AM
x2, unless you own a gutlux. My mate blew his gutlux gearbox the other day by reversing down hill in low range on super slick orange clay for a total of 5 metres!!....... man those things are weak!

lmao.

I believe that's why we drive Patrols

MEGOMONSTER
2nd June 2013, 11:53 AM
With auto hubs or it pays to reverse to stop axle wind up after a session

So after driving in 4hi/lo I'll need to reverse a bit then put it back into 2wd.
But is this only when in auto on the hubs or the same if I had them locked.

Hodge
2nd June 2013, 11:56 AM
Reversing in 4 low or hi should be no dramas. I used to reverse a mates fishing boat up a slightly steep-ish driveway in 4-low in my Nav. Makes it easier on clutch too.

Winnie
2nd June 2013, 12:53 PM
So after driving in 4hi/lo I'll need to reverse a bit then put it back into 2wd.
But is this only when in auto on the hubs or the same if I had them locked.

Nah put into 2wd then reverse. It forces your hubs to unlock, otherwise they may still be locked while you drive away.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

TimE
2nd June 2013, 01:01 PM

..... found this out the hard way when stuck in a muddy rut unable to get any backward movement, the auto hubs had disengaged. Get out in the mud and snow and lock the auto hubs, rearward movement is then available. This resulted in my rule that whenever I am in sand, snow or mud the auto hubs are manually locked for the duration of those conditions. (Of course normal rules about not using 4wd on tar or "hard" surfaces apply)

threedogs
2nd June 2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah its called wind up, you need to reverse say 50 mtrs, sometimes more to "UN WIND" the drive train.
It releases all the tension { Pressure if you like} from driving forward.You have no doudbt heard the term back lash
effectivly wind up has removed all your back lash, reversing unwinds your axles releasing the tension, restoring back lash
and allowing you to select 4 hi etc, hope that made sense. Wind up is wind up be it hubs in auto or fully locked IMO

macca
2nd June 2013, 03:13 PM
I don't have auto hubs so can only comment on manual locking hubs.

Hubs are still locked;

When it is no longer necessary to use 4WD I select H2, most times the 4WD light is still on, I drive forward and most times it goes off, if not just do a left and right on the steering wheel the transfer case disengages and the light goes off.

Don't drive it hard, just normal driving on any surface. Never had a problem with it disengaging. Once the light is off the wind up is gone so drive away.

50 metres plus is a long way TD!

dubizzle@bresson.org
5th June 2013, 02:09 AM
Does it happen with a manual gear box or with an auto one?
Thanks

growler2058
5th June 2013, 04:43 AM
Does it happen with a manual gear box or with an auto one?
Thanks

I don't think the gearbox makes a difference just the auto hubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

nissannewby
5th June 2013, 08:09 AM
Yeah its called wind up, you need to reverse say 50 mtrs, sometimes more to "UN WIND" the drive train.
It releases all the tension { Pressure if you like} from driving forward.You have no doudbt heard the term back lash
effectivly wind up has removed all your back lash, reversing unwinds your axles releasing the tension, restoring back lash
and allowing you to select 4 hi etc, hope that made sense. Wind up is wind up be it hubs in auto or fully locked IMO

Do you know what back lash is? It doesn't matter whether your in 4wd, 2wd hubs locked or unlocked, as soon as you start to drive (engage clutch) the back lash has been taken out.

Wind up is completely different. If you constantly drive in a straight line when in 4wd with no wheel spinning then it shouldn't occur (unless your Tyres are bigger on one axle). It tends to happen when steering and in 4wd, as everyone knows the outside turning wheel has to turn faster than the inside wheel so the front drive shaft wants to spin faster than the rear (wind up).

BigRAWesty
5th June 2013, 08:43 AM
So unless your doing NASCAR style tracks the wind up should be minimal?

I to select 2wd when not needed, but as soon as I leave the formed road/track its 4wd as it saves tracks and keep the nicer for longer..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nissannewby
5th June 2013, 09:46 AM
Yes. When on loose surfaces the Tyres can slip/spin.

macca
5th June 2013, 08:01 PM
So unless your doing NASCAR style tracks the wind up should be minimal?

I to select 2wd when not needed, but as soon as I leave the formed road/track its 4wd as it saves tracks and keep the nicer for longer..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

I'm with you. They put a front diff in it so I might as well use it hey

MEGOMONSTER
1st July 2013, 06:33 PM
Hijack.
Is it imperative to always let the glow plug light to go off before starting.
Cos the Missus never waits for the glow plugs to warm up.
What happens.

Winnie
1st July 2013, 06:42 PM
Just takes a bit more cranking to start it, no real damage but I guess it would decrease the life of your starter motor?

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 06:13 PM
Hijack no.3.
What does a heavy duty valve body do/ help on a transmission.

threedogs
22nd July 2013, 06:20 PM
@ Mego PM Drew he has done all those mods to his auto.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 07:01 PM
@ Mego PM Drew he has done all those mods to his auto.

Thanks 3dogs, sent him a PM. Hopefully he'll answer on this thread for all to hear.

taslucas
22nd July 2013, 07:12 PM
Hijack no.3.
What does a heavy duty valve body do/ help on a transmission.

Makes the gear changes short and sharp, nice and crisp and clean. Helps hold the gear. Increases engine braking slightly.
Significantly reduces "flare".
It's said to increase the strength of a gearbox too. By fitting one to a vehicle (and changing nothing else)with the tb42 engine it's said to increase the strength of the box to be able to handle over 3 times the power of the engine.
Ideal for towing.
I was amazed at how much difference it made. Changes gears like a sports car.
If roosting in mud, it can even change up a gear without stopping the roost!

Cuppa
22nd July 2013, 07:23 PM
Re. Auto hubs

Never had them. If the advice is to manually lock in auto hubs whenever in 4wd terrain, what is the point of having auto hubs? When are they useful?

nissannewby
22nd July 2013, 07:26 PM
I love it hijacking your own thread lmao

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 07:33 PM
I love it hijacking your own thread lmao

I don't feel weird asking these question when it's in a stupid question thread.

taslucas
22nd July 2013, 09:07 PM
Re. Auto hubs

Never had them. If the advice is to manually lock in auto hubs whenever in 4wd terrain, what is the point of having auto hubs? When are they useful?

For the times when you only need to use 4wd for a short period of time, ie; turning around in slippery grass, coming across an unexpected mud hole.
I wouldn't have them but if I had a vehicle with them fitted I wouldn't worry about spending money on upgrading.

YNOT
22nd July 2013, 09:10 PM
The Nissan auto hubs are good while they are working, when they get a bit worn they start randomly unlocking and relocking, usually at the worst possible moment. That's when some people remove the auto lock part of the mechanism so they only work as a manual hub.

trekster
22nd July 2013, 09:13 PM
I just manually lock my auto ones before I go out to get the grease moving etc, Never have bothered relying on the auto side of them.....

MEGOMONSTER
11th August 2013, 09:16 PM
Self hijack.
LSD. Limited slip diff
Would any one like to explain.

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 09:41 PM
Self hijack.
LSD. Limited slip diff
Would any one like to explain.

Long story short its supposed to spin both wheels at the same time if for eg 1 wheel is on gravel and the other on concrete the wheel with the least amount of traction ( on gravel ) would spin if it where an open diff but the lsd will engage and spin the wheel with the least amount of traction at the same speed as the one with traction ( on the concrete) so you maintain control. It slips when you turn a corner without accelerating so the inside wheel can spin slower than the outside wheel so you can have a better turning circle.

Clear as mud ??

MEGOMONSTER
11th August 2013, 09:51 PM
Long story short its supposed to spin both wheels at the same time if for eg 1 wheel is on gravel and the other on concrete the wheel with the least amount of traction ( on gravel ) would spin if it where an open diff but the lsd will engage and spin the wheel with the least amount of traction at the same speed as the one with traction ( on the concrete) so you maintain control. It slips when you turn a corner without accelerating so the inside wheel can spin slower than the outside wheel so you can have a better turning circle.

Clear as mud ??

As see through as a black hole.
Thanks.

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 09:54 PM
As see through as a black hole.
Thanks.

Lol! Do you get it or not ??? If not ask me what part you dont understand. What you really need to know is that an lsd does sick skids where the single spinner leaves a single legger down the rd pml

MEGOMONSTER
11th August 2013, 10:02 PM
Lol! Do you get it or not ??? If not ask me what part you dont understand. What you really need to know is that an lsd does sick skids where the single spinner leaves a single legger down the rd pml

So an LSD will only do a single tyre burnout. But isn't it trying to turn the other wheel at the same speed. Sorta like a locker. Maybe not.

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 10:19 PM
So an LSD will only do a single tyre burnout. But isn't it trying to turn the other wheel at the same speed. Sorta like a locker. Maybe not.

Thats right lsd is like a locker when you accelerate, single spinner is an open diff

So locker and lsd do sick skids like this
Open diff aka single spinner does this
32799 see only 1 wheel spinning

MEGOMONSTER
11th August 2013, 10:23 PM
Thats right lsd is like a locker when you accelerate, single spinner is an open diff

So locker and lsd do sick skids like this
Open diff aka single spinner does this
32799 see only 1 wheel spinning

I thought you were gonna show me with the RX7.

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 10:34 PM
I thought you were gonna show me with the RX7.

You heard the rx when i turned down the wrong street after i left your joint :)

I can't take pics and drive at the same time you know lol

MEGOMONSTER
12th August 2013, 06:44 PM
You heard the rx when i turned down the wrong street after i left your joint :)

I can't take pics and drive at the same time you know lol

I think I understand the principal.
Thanks.

MEGOMONSTER
20th August 2013, 05:47 PM
Hijack. Spring spacers.
I overheard a guy at work saying he got a 2" lift plus 25mm or 20mm ( can't remember). Question is 3" lift does the same thing. So I assume its the cheap way out. Any issues with this way.

Winnie
20th August 2013, 05:50 PM
Yep it's the cheap way out for sure.

threedogs
20th August 2013, 05:51 PM
Works against it IMO still only 2" lift.
Cheap and don't recommend

taslucas
20th August 2013, 07:03 PM
Hijack. Spring spacers.
I overheard a guy at work saying he got a 2" lift plus 25mm or 20mm ( can't remember). Question is 3" lift does the same thing. So I assume its the cheap way out. Any issues with this way.

People may use the spacers to level out the vehicle for example when you have extra weight over the rear or wornout suspension. It raises the vehicle but doesnt give you any more flex.

BigRAWesty
20th August 2013, 07:34 PM
Spring spacer, cap spacers, all poor men's lifts.. If you can go all springs.. And if you need extra to aid in weight capacity go an aid device, like In-spring bags.

Winnie
20th August 2013, 08:04 PM
People may use the spacers to level out the vehicle for example when you have extra weight over the rear or wornout suspension. It raises the vehicle but doesnt give you any more flex.

Yeah mine has small spacers in the front, has done since I bought it. Must have sat higher in the back, maybe they are the wrong springs in the back or something, I don't know. I would rather have all the right springs though.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

taslucas
20th August 2013, 08:07 PM
yeah my mates GQ sits quite a bit higher in the back. The previous owner did a lot of towing so we think they may have fitted heavy duty rear springs

MEGOMONSTER
21st August 2013, 04:33 PM
yeah my mates GQ sits quite a bit higher in the back. The previous owner did a lot of towing so we think they may have fitted heavy duty rear springs

He said he needs it cos he tows a 2 ton work trailer most weekends