PDA

View Full Version : Cost of running a car tracker?

NP99
29th May 2013, 11:02 PM
Can someone indicate the cost of running a SIM card in their car tracker please, what data usage expected and best provider etc.

TPC
29th May 2013, 11:05 PM
I think you can get a $10/month data sim.

NissanGQ4.2
29th May 2013, 11:26 PM
Really depends on what you want

For a rough idea read here (http://www.intellitrac.com.au/Shopping_Cart.html) on right hand side of screen.....MyDreamCar GPS

TPC
30th May 2013, 12:15 AM
BA said he has a tracker, message him and ask.

Airstrike
30th May 2013, 12:28 AM
Mine pings every 10 mins when car station. Every 10 seconds with speed and other functions when moving. Cost about 15 a month.

tip it tap it slap it

NP99
30th May 2013, 12:29 AM
Cheers guys

Airstrike
30th May 2013, 12:35 AM
Data is about 3 meg a month on my set up.

Im using Telstra.

tip it tap it slap it

Bloodyaussie
30th May 2013, 07:55 AM
About $75 for the year depending on how many messages it sends to you... you need to specify what with Telstra.. dont get one with shit coverage as it only works as good as the reception it gets.

mudski
30th May 2013, 09:11 AM
I pay $5 per month from Amaysim...Cheap!

Bloodyaussie
30th May 2013, 09:12 AM
I pay $5 per month from Amaysim...Cheap!

What is the coverage like?? no good if they get away with your car and there is no phone reception?

mudski
30th May 2013, 10:58 AM
What is the coverage like?? no good if they get away with your car and there is no phone reception?
Its on the Optus network so it pretty good. Perfect around the city atleast.

threedogs
30th May 2013, 11:05 AM
I'm not the person using it but cheapest sim going, my boys call it up if I go
away to check speed ,position and any conversation going on.
Normal carrier sms charges apply, can track via laptop if needed via co-ordinates.
Only time I need it is if it gets nicked, touch wood

Only needs to work once IMO

patrolmq
30th May 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm looking at the aldi 365 day sims for 20 bucks.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

P4trol
30th May 2013, 01:01 PM
You would go with a carrier that has superior coverage?

Bloodyaussie
30th May 2013, 03:13 PM
You would go with a carrier that has superior coverage?

Yes mate..... to think many cars get taken when you might not know for hours and a lot get taken bush and trashed.... I shoot on properties 40min up the road and there is heaps of dead spots with other phone carriers.. for the sake of a few extra dollars why would you cheap out now??????

NissanGQ4.2
30th May 2013, 05:00 PM
I don't have GPS tracking but will do after I do the rebuild, so am only going on what I have read while reaching GPS trackers and I would go live tracking via internet / smartphone over sms messages

Yes mate..... to think many cars get taken when you might not know for hours and a lot get taken bush and trashed.... I shoot on properties 40min up the road and there is heaps of dead spots with other phone carriers.. for the sake of a few extra dollars why would you cheap out now??????

BA, I'm 99.9% sure you can get trackers that alert you via sms when the car starts moving from its parked location so you would know straight away unless you are parked in a dead spot to start with.

Bloodyaussie
30th May 2013, 05:35 PM
What if you are in a cinema or in bed or????

I just think cheaping out on a few dollars over a pre paid card is a false economy??

Mark bought a good unit and I might buy the same as he got and the one in my car I will fit to my work trailer or the wifes car??? mine was from Jaycar.. very basic and yes it sends me text messages if it moves..

patrolmq
2nd June 2013, 09:41 PM
Aldi use the Telstra network, so best coverage

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2013, 10:19 PM
Aldi use the Telstra network, so best coverage

Yes they use Telstra, but only the older network. So you may still not have great coverage.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

P4trol
2nd June 2013, 10:54 PM
I think the best coverage would be a dual sim tracker. A 'probably not yet in production' tracker that you can pop an Optus and telstra sim at the same time.

You know those times when you always had telstra coverage, except today, and your Optus buddy who never has coverage, looks kinda smug today?