PDA

View Full Version : gq 2.8 wind over but no start

dragonslayer
26th December 2010, 08:13 AM
hi all
just had the gq rd28t head rebuilt and have replaced it on the gq, ive made sure that its top dead and have lind up all the marks replaced the timeing belt ,bleed the fuel and all it does is wind over and doesn't start it want to fire but no go, am i missing something or have i stuffed up somewhere
any help would be great
thanks dragonslayer

YNOT
26th December 2010, 08:51 AM
When you wind the engine over on the starter does it sound "normal" indicating it has good compression, or does it sound like it's free spinning?
When you bled the fuel system did you bleed it at the injectors while someone was cranking the starter motor?

About to send PM also.

Tony

dragonslayer
26th December 2010, 08:56 AM
it winds over normal have bleed all injector when winding over when stops raining will do again as sometimes when bleeding it gets quicker

YNOT
26th December 2010, 10:04 AM
It might help to hook up a jump start to another car with the engine running. Having a few extra volts at the starter motor might give it that extra kick that it needs. It's something to try that won't cost anything.

Tony

dragonslayer
26th December 2010, 10:41 AM
i do that as i found out the had way while try to bleed the fuel the battery run flat real quick , we even have tried to pull start it with no go

MQ MAD
26th December 2010, 03:01 PM
Are the glow plugs glowing ???
Diesels are a pain if the glow plugs dont work properly

dragonslayer
27th December 2010, 11:04 AM
i believe they are as it is a 2 stage glow with 2 relays i listen out for the 2nd relay to click and the glow plug light go out, when the glow plug bridge when back on i doesn't look right i didn't think the long plate went straight then bent down to meet the last 3 plugs ( if anyone has a picture of the glow plug brige it may help cause the diagram in the repair manual looks straight)

YNOT
27th December 2010, 11:46 AM
The factory manual I'm looking at shows a flat bridge plate connecting all 6 glow plugs, but also shows a second bridge plate connecting the back 3 plugs?

Tony

dragonslayer
27th December 2010, 12:17 PM
that what mine shows but on the patrol the long bridge start straight on the first 3 then bends bown a bit to meet the next 3 then there is a spacer then the 3 bar bridge

dragonslayer
25th January 2011, 07:08 AM
Woo hoo patrol going again took to mechanic and found, when head as done they put bucket and shims in instead of hydryloc lifters and they valves were opening and closing all over the place so the mechanic ground down the top of the valves retimed and presto seems to go better than it did before just need to get out and test it off road now when all this flooding stops and the local 4wd would be a whole new 4wd experence

lachiek
25th January 2011, 09:05 AM
Hey DS, hope things are getting better around Toowoomba and glad you got the truck running regardless of the rain. I've got a GQ 2.8 with 2 cylinders showing 350 and 380 PSI on compression test. Any idea what your engine comp tests were like before you got the head rebuilt? Oh and how much did it cost you? Cheers

dragonslayer
26th January 2011, 07:39 AM
surrounding areas of toowoomba are still a mess but clean up atr going at full steam,im a little upset at the moment as my comp truck was in murphys creek and it in now got half the creek in it, so trying to clean it up oh well there are more im portant thing to remember at the moment like helping others in there need, now to the patrol unsure of compression cause it threw the timing belt the rebuild cost nearly $ 2000 bolted it my self and got diesel engines australia in dalby to recon head and my local mechanic to finish up after findng out hte hard way that gu bucket and shims dont replace a gq head with hydrolic lifters

lachiek
30th January 2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah you're spot on about the important things but shame about the comp truck anyway. Have some friends in Toowoomba, all just getting on with the cleanup job. We're thinking of you from down south. Cheers for the rebuild info too.