PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar question

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2013, 06:14 PM
I want to fit longer sway bars that are adjustable and wanted to know if there is any exception for having sway bar disconnect....?

Someone planted a seed and said I would only need 3 as I have the disconnect model?

Advice please.....

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2013, 06:52 PM
Anyone???? need to know as Irish is picking them up for me from Bayswater?

BigRAWesty
28th May 2013, 08:32 PM
Your question has lost me..
You want to fit longer adjustable links to the sway bar?
Cool, just buy them.
Although if you have the disconnect you will need to get an extension kit for that to or the other side will be always fighting it... Boarder track engineering do complete kits for the extension to bring sway bars back to level..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

AB
28th May 2013, 09:06 PM
May not be the safest option but as you know BA I have removed my front sway bar and having the 2" GU lift (2 1/2 to 3" real lift) enables me to keep the rear disconnect and I love it. "Safe" on the road for me and manual disconnect offroad.

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2013, 10:08 PM
So is it really only the fronts I need???

nissannewby
28th May 2013, 10:10 PM
That would all I would bother with. You don't drive fast enough to need sway bars anyway :p

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2013, 10:16 PM
That would all I would bother with. You don't drive fast enough to need sway bars anyway :p

Gee thanks Matty.. I was hoping someone like you would give me some bloody advice not give me the shits..... :)

I just want to know about the rears??? do I need all 4 sway bar connects ya git?

nissannewby
28th May 2013, 10:22 PM
I would get 3 and if you have to modify the disconnect.

Clunk
28th May 2013, 10:22 PM
Well if you're doing the front, may as well do the rears.............

So can we give you the sh*ts again now????? ;)

Tappin on the MC phone

BigRAWesty
28th May 2013, 11:00 PM
As I said BA, if you wanna do both you either need to remove the disconnect unit and install a threaded eye like the other 3 or get the extension kit..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Alitis007
28th May 2013, 11:08 PM
Why not get all 4 a make one fit into the factory disconnect unit

BigRAWesty
28th May 2013, 11:48 PM
Why not get all 4 a make one fit into the factory disconnect unit

Not sure if that will work as the disconnect is shaft, not thread..
The bloke a BTE has made these kits so it extends the travel length of the disconnect, so your sway bar has less resistance for a greater length..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Bloodyaussie
29th May 2013, 08:00 AM
Cheers guys........ so for the sake of this weekend I should install 3 of them and while 4wding just disconnect the 4th for the day???? then get the 4th one sorted later?????

nissannewby
29th May 2013, 08:04 AM
Do them all at a later day. The disconnect will need to be extended. You could do the just front for your trip but you can't just extend one link on the rear.

There are people who make something to allow the disconnect to work better while also extending it. Westy mentions it in post #12

Bloodyaussie
29th May 2013, 08:54 AM
Yes but I dont know who he is talking about?? BTE???

healy
29th May 2013, 09:15 AM
Border track engineering

Bloodyaussie
29th May 2013, 09:17 AM
Border track engineering

Oh thanks Healy..... will look into it.

Just did a search and cant seem to find anything???

healy
29th May 2013, 09:29 AM
Try superior they do them

Bloodyaussie
29th May 2013, 09:30 AM
Just spoke to a bloke who said they put the normal set up in them and do away with the disconnect????

Alitis007
29th May 2013, 09:37 AM
Jonathan just fit the fronts we'll remove the rear until you sort it out, you wont feel the back as much as the front.

Bloodyaussie
29th May 2013, 09:41 AM
JUst ordered a plate from superior engineering to do away with the disconnect.. should be here tomorrow??

healy
29th May 2013, 10:05 AM
Jonathan just fit the fronts we'll remove the rear until you sort it out, you wont feel the back as much as the front.

You do feel it when the rear is removed I just fitted my rear up again as there was to much body roll around corners etc for road use

Alitis007
29th May 2013, 10:08 AM
How bloody fast are you going round corners?? All it will do is try and step out IMO

nissannewby
29th May 2013, 10:10 AM
JUst ordered a plate from superior engineering to do away with the disconnect.. should be here tomorrow??

This is a viable option. As long as your happy to lose the factory disconnect then go for it. The factory disconnects only allow the sway bar to travel an extra 30mm each way.

nissannewby
29th May 2013, 10:13 AM
How bloody fast are you going round corners?? All it will do is try and step out IMO

I should put you in my GQ I think you would get a little uncomfortable driving on the road.

healy
29th May 2013, 10:22 AM
Not fast at all you can feel the difference

Alitis007
29th May 2013, 10:23 AM
I should put you in my GQ I think you would get a little uncomfortable driving on the road.

Not really, too dumb to be scared and anyway my first car was a death trap, literally it really was! Massive body roll..

I'll hold you to it mate for when you blokes come down later in the year!

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2013, 11:24 AM

Hey George,

actually i think the opposite is true mate.

I run no sway bar on the back of the GQ and disconnects on the front and No sway bar on the front of the GUIV and factory sway bar on the rear.

I am currently chasing a GU sway bar for the rear of the GQ for permanent fix and will remove the front. My GUIV is so much more comfortable to ride in with the back connected and the front is pointless.

Most of the flex is a Patrol is in the back, plenty of guys spend BIG BUCKS trying to get the front to flex and they fail. Sway bar is nowhere near as important of the front of a Patrol. back is where its at. IMO

My2c

taslucas
29th May 2013, 12:58 PM
My GQ has the factory rear disconnect (albeit stretched from the lift). I can definitely feel it if I forget to reconnect when back on half a road. I also like to have a play on faster gravel sections and she gets A LOT looser without the rear connected lol

sent from my phone using motor culture

lhurley
29th May 2013, 04:39 PM
I've run the gauntlet for some time and I know the laws may vary between states (although I don't believe they do), but 2 weeks ago from last Friday I was given a 14 day defect. Sway bars were the first thing they went for (can be verified by another member who was with me at the time). Went over the truck like a dose of salts and hammered everything (even the headlight bulbs which I was to pull out to prove they were a "legal" blue halogen). The moratorium finishes up here in a few months and they are cracking down big time. Assume other states would be the same. I have 5 separate engineering compliances now, and sway bars fitted, so "apparently" the truck is 100% legal now.

I was lucky they only defected, as the sway bars are enough ("suspension geometry alteration without engineering") to have the car taken off the road.

Your call ...

Do as Matty suggested, and others have done, and modify the factory disconnect unit (get it engineered - easy to do and cheap), and get three extended pins for the rest.

My 2c - good luck with it either way.

Scotty (Bigrig)

I feel your pain. They got me for no front sway bar a few weeks ago, not even a km from my house. No defect, just a fine.

As said, disconnects for the front, leave the rear. I have found, that the front still doesnt move as much as i would like with the sway bar still bolted to the radius arms. If you want some sort of front end movement, lose the sway bar all together. The disconnects do help though, only slightly.

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2013, 04:49 PM
I've run the gauntlet for some time and I know the laws may vary between states (although I don't believe they do), but 2 weeks ago from last Friday I was given a 14 day defect. Sway bars were the first thing they went for (can be verified by another member who was with me at the time). Went over the truck like a dose of salts and hammered everything (even the headlight bulbs which I was to pull out to prove they were a "legal" blue halogen). The moratorium finishes up here in a few months and they are cracking down big time. Assume other states would be the same. I have 5 separate engineering compliances now, and sway bars fitted, so "apparently" the truck is 100% legal now.

I was lucky they only defected, as the sway bars are enough ("suspension geometry alteration without engineering") to have the car taken off the road.

Your call ...

Do as Matty suggested, and others have done, and modify the factory disconnect unit (get it engineered - easy to do and cheap), and get three extended pins for the rest.

My 2c - good luck with it either way.

Scotty (Bigrig)

Damn Scotty!!

I missed that post! That sux big time mate. In Vic you would have to get the whole car Engineered as a Unit. Then additions added to the compliance i think?? Guessing ;)

If i was to do that i think id put a cage in her first ;)

are you back on the road yet? It was all shiny and stuff too!!

Alitis007
29th May 2013, 05:04 PM
Hey George,

actually i think the opposite is true mate.

I run no sway bar on the back of the GQ and disconnects on the front and No sway bar on the front of the GUIV and factory sway bar on the rear.

I am currently chasing a GU sway bar for the rear of the GQ for permanent fix and will remove the front. My GUIV is so much more comfortable to ride in with the back connected and the front is pointless.

Most of the flex is a Patrol is in the back, plenty of guys spend BIG BUCKS trying to get the front to flex and they fail. Sway bar is nowhere near as important of the front of a Patrol. back is where its at. IMO

My2c

I think i'm thinking if how a car reacts without swaybars and not taking into account where talking 4wd's. my understanding is the swaybars help put the weight back onto the wheel thats closest to the corner ( inside wheel) for eg you turn right, the body leans to the left making the inside/right hand wheels try and lift off the ground coz the weight has shifted, the sway bar connected to the outside / left hand suspension twists down pushing the inside wheel back down. On a car you would add a strut brace to help counter the affects of the body roll but off rd you want the wheels to travel further up or down to try and keep the body level as possible while keeping maximum traction on the wheels at different heights, yeh??

Hope i made sense of did i just confuse the situation lol??

NissanGQ4.2
29th May 2013, 05:12 PM
Who needs sway bars anyway, if it wasn't for legalities I wouldn't have em on.................oh hang on a sec I don't have them on :):):)

BigRAWesty
29th May 2013, 05:43 PM
Ok, hopefully this works. Boadertrack details to come ba

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

BigRAWesty
29th May 2013, 05:47 PM
Ok, hopefully this works. Boadertrack details to come ba

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

It didn't.. mc crap a lot keeps dumping my post in the night shift thread.. stupid app... :banghead:

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

BigRAWesty
29th May 2013, 06:05 PM
Dave
Boadertrack 4x4 and fabrication

BigRAWesty
29th May 2013, 06:07 PM
Dave
Boadertrack 4x4 and fabrication

Finally.. give him a call mate. Pretty sure he has the kits on self as a DIY job.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Bloodyaussie
29th May 2013, 08:24 PM
Cheers Kallen but for now I am just going to go with long bars and do away with the disconnect.. may change later ??

Should the sway bar be level when flat on the ground????

BigRAWesty
29th May 2013, 08:36 PM
The sway bar should be at 90 degrees to the threaded rod.. so yes, level with the ground..
Give or take a bit though..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Parksy
31st May 2013, 08:26 AM
That was a good read GSC. Though does annoy me when it comes to all the red tape side of things.
I remember when I first got my licence, I got pulled over in my old landy. The cop started inspecting under the guards, walked around it, had no idea what he was looking at so he just walked off. Certainly didn't have a shock absorbing steering wheel, or dash, yet that law doesn't apply to this car because of the age it was made. Could legally drive it. It does my head in with how they can justify things.

NissanGQ4.2
31st May 2013, 05:12 PM
3. Put headrests on the centre row seats (no joke)
5. Get bracing installed on the bonnet under the grills and have it engineered (no engineering standard for this, so simply welded on brackets and had the assessor inspect and sign off that he "saw them and was satisfied")
6. Remove the interior switch for the light bar

Headrests????? there removable........can't see that been illegal.

If there is no engineering standard for the grills how can it possible be defected and even more so passed by an assessor that has no guidelines to go by???

So you can have a light bar but you can't turn it on *LMAO* Could you switch it on without you high beams on Scotty???

Winnie
1st June 2013, 06:19 AM
Scotty what's the rules with the light bars? I was going to wire mine up the same as my spotties: I.e. both switch and high beams must be on

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Winnie
1st June 2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks for that info mate!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

dubizzle@bresson.org
5th June 2013, 01:37 AM
Hi, might be a stupid question but the legislation must be known by the vendors of all these equipments? (lights bars, sways, etc)
I loved the story with the policeman, lol