PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!!! Tank is Battling!!!! Arrrrgggghhhh

Bigrig
25th December 2010, 08:31 PM
Howdy

just sent a PM to Tony, but not sure if he is online, and quite frankly, how f'ing rude of me on Christmas day!!!! lol .. below is what I sent to him ... essentially, I'm in the dark, car has gone on the blink, and I'm supposed to have 4 kids and 3 dogs in a car at 9am in the morning to spend Christmas with the family up north ... any help would be mucho appreciato!!!

Hey mate - sorry to bother you on Christmas Day, but having a (shall we say) slight issue with the patrol ... if you're around and have time to throw a suggestion at me, all good - if not, absolutely no dramas. Leaving in the morning for Hervey Bay and just a bit concerned to run it - literally been running fine, just went and filled with petrol (was running on LPG when I got there, but had started on petrol and switched over once warm on the way down). Got back in the car, and no go - wouldn't start on LPG. Thought must just still be a bit cool as the station is just down the road, so swithced to petrol - nothing doing there either, so back to LPG and after 10 or so seconds it slowly burbles to life. Ran it home rather than risk rooting around at the petrol station on LPG, and once I got home switched to petrol - burbled and carried on, and when I hit the accelerator, it sort of seems as though it's going to stall and then picks up the rev range (blowing a heap of black smoke on the start of acceleration also as though it's running way too rich). It is now also idling at around 11-1200 RPM - switch back to LPG and no burbling or smoke and carrying on, but still ideling at 11-1200 RPM also .. Bit confused mate- and sincere apologies again to bother you on Xmas Day!!

YNOT
25th December 2010, 08:32 PM
PM sent Scotty.

Tony

Bigrig
25th December 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks boss - just responded ...

AB
25th December 2010, 09:07 PM
Hope it gets sorted mate!

We need to start paying Tony double time on Christmas day...lol

NissanGQ4.2
25th December 2010, 09:34 PM
Is this TANKS way of saying merry xmas after putting it through so much water???

YNOT
25th December 2010, 10:15 PM
Update for anyone following this thread, this was my reply;

What ever is causing your fault is common to both fuels so is unlikely to be the fuel systems themselves, but something affecting the control systems or ignition.

First thing I would check is the inlet ducting. Start at the air cleaner/ air flow meter and make sure the hoses are all properly fitted, hose clamps tight and hoses not split. You might want to take the hoses off to inspect them properly. If there is an air leak anywhere between the air flow meter and the engine the air flow meter will be sending incorrect signals to the computer stuffing up the mixtures.

Also check the wiring connector to any sensors you can find, especially the one on the air flow meter.

If you have a timing light (I don't) throw it on and check the timing at idle. Failing that see if the distributor is loose and can be rotated.

I've spoken to Scott on the phone to discuss the problem, but at this stage we still have not found the cause of the fault. We will keep you updated.

Tony

Bigrig
25th December 2010, 11:22 PM
First thing to say off the bat, is that Tony is a legend - if he can walk a halfwit like me through the steps to follow then he both knows his stuff, and more importantly for me, has incredible patience!!! LOL

Righto - here goes.

Pulled off all the inlet ducting between the MAF sensor and the manifold - all good there (pulled out the MAF also - not much I can do, but wanted to make sure it wasn't clogged up - didn't appear to be from photos I have) .. reseated, checked all clamps, hoses, etc as well as connectors to idle valve and cooling sensors as suggested. Didn't improve at all, and as a last ditch effort (being a computer, no matter how old), I pulled the cable off the positive battery terminal to reset the ECM - left if off for probably 7-8 minutes and reconnected - low and behold, I had (and stress 'had') a fully functional vehicle - not revving at idel (sitting on about 650-670), no loss of power on touching the accelerator, and immediate response right through the rev range ... left it idle on petrol for about 10 minutes with the occasional hit on the accelerator and all good - same for LPG and no problems switching between the two ... thought I deserved a beer (have had buggar all today as preparing for the trip) and stopped the car and went to the mates house across the road to sharpen a machete I have in the toolbox - came back about 15 minutes later, kicked it over first go on petrol, but is back to idling at around 1000 RPM ... soooooo ... did a bit more reading up and apparently you have to have the battery disconnected for a minimum of 30 minutes, and up to 24 hours (don't know how true that is though) to not only reset the ECM, but to clear all associated errors that it had registered ... alas, the positive terminal cable is off and I'll reconnect it in the morning and see what happens ... keep you posted ...

Oh ... and did I mention Tony is a legend?? Thanks a million mate!!!!

Maxhead
26th December 2010, 07:02 AM
i know it can take up to 24hrs to discharge the cap in the ECU and thats what I usually do as well. I have heard tho you can speed this process up by having your lights on when terminal is disconnected,
Keep us posted mate.

YNOT
26th December 2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the praise Scott, but we haven't fixed it yet.

Tony

Bigrig
26th December 2010, 09:09 AM
Well .. strange one to say the least ... reconnected the positive terminal this morning and car is obviously completely cold - starts on petrol literally on first crank (which is normal) and then sits on about 900RPM and over the first minute or so as it warms, idles down to about 630-650RPM. Bootiful ... switch over to LPG and the same ... sooooo ... stop the car, restart it and low and behold, straight up to 1050 RPM on petrol and holding ... stays there for about 2 minutes before it ever so slowly starts creeping down to eventually (after about another 2 minutes) dropping to just on 600RPM (even lower than before) ... no black smoke though through any of this so appears it isn't O2 related now (ish) and hence not punching too much fuel through ..

How bizarre ... could I have a faulty ECU? or to drop it to something really basic, could the air filter need cleaning/replacing? Anyways ... feeling a little more confident (at least on LPG) to run it up to Hervey Bay - I'll get the old boys mechanic to have a squiz at it tomorrow whilst up there, as when we come back, we are only here for a day and then off to Sydney for a week, so obviously want it sorted before that ...

Thanks for comments all, and thanks again Tony for your time and input (any more would still be appreciated though!! LOL) ...

DX grunt
26th December 2010, 09:29 AM
All this talk about work is making me thirsty. Sorry BigRig it's not quite 7am over here yet. Too early to crack a can. lol.

Well done lads.

NissanGQ4.2
26th December 2010, 09:30 AM
Sorry Scotty can't help u on this one, nothing worse than getting a problem just before u want 2 leave 4 a trip. So you will be in Sydney next week???

YNOT
26th December 2010, 09:30 AM
Well .. strange one to say the least ... reconnected the positive terminal this morning and car is obviously completely cold - starts on petrol literally on first crank (which is normal) and then sits on about 900RPM and over the first minute or so as it warms, idles down to about 630-650RPM. Bootiful This is normal cold start idle up indicating the idle up circuit is functioning normally ... switch over to LPG and the same ... sooooo ... stop the car, restart it and low and behold, straight up to 1050 RPM on petrol and holding ... stays there for about 2 minutes before it ever so slowly starts creeping down to eventually (after about another 2 minutes) dropping to just on 600RPM (even lower than before) To me this suggests that an incorrect input signal is corrupting the computer... no black smoke though through any of this so appears it isn't O2 related now (ish) and hence not punching too much fuel through ..

How bizarre ... could I have a faulty ECU? Normally I would say the ECU is the last thing I would suspect, but that fails to take into account the deep mud holes you seem to like driving through! or to drop it to something really basic, could the air filter need cleaning/replacing? Possible but unlikely, take the air filter out and see if it makes any difference Anyways ... feeling a little more confident (at least on LPG) to run it up to Hervey Bay - I'll get the old boys mechanic to have a squiz at it tomorrow whilst up there, as when we come back, we are only here for a day and then off to Sydney for a week, so obviously want it sorted before that ...

My main concern with you driving the car while it has this fault, is if the mixtures are wrong you could damage the engine.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
26th December 2010, 09:31 AM
it's not quite 7am over here yet. Too early to crack a can. lol.

7am, isn't that a late start?

NissanGQ4.2
26th December 2010, 09:37 AM
yeh stupid spot for an ECU, If the water did get that high Scotty I would be looking at the ECU. I believe there is a Computer for the Auto Gearbox sitting in the passenger foot area up the front, so if you did have a major water intake, I would be getting that checked out 2 for possible water damage.

Bigrig
26th December 2010, 09:56 AM
All this talk about work is making me thirsty. Sorry BigRig it's not quite 7am over here yet. Too early to crack a can. lol.

Well done lads.

Never too early mate!! LOL

Bigrig
26th December 2010, 09:59 AM
just started it again, and now seem to have some water (very little, but there) coming out the exhaust - running and idling fine though?? This is getting all too confusing ... could it have been just some water had gotten in, and is now blowing out - i.e. not enough to cause major issue, but enough to cause some drama whilst it went through?? Again, has been running fine and done at least 300klms plus this week post taking it out last week without a glitch (water would have shown up before then I would have thought).

Thanks all once again!!

YNOT
26th December 2010, 10:49 AM
Water coming out the exhaust during warm up is probably just condensation, but if you start getting steam continuing to come out the exhaust with the engine at normal operating temperature then it could be a cylinder head issue. If you've done 300km this week any water would be long gone.

I thought you were going to be on the road at 9am?

Tony

Bigrig
26th December 2010, 11:12 AM
Water coming out the exhaust during warm up is probably just condensation, but if you start getting steam continuing to come out the exhaust with the engine at normal operating temperature then it could be a cylinder head issue. If you've done 300km this week any water would be long gone.

I thought you were going to be on the road at 9am?

Tony

Me too - but 3 dogs and 4 kids kind of dictated that I was fooling myself!!!! LOL

I'll monitor for the steam, doesn't appear to be, but would this affect idle on both LPG and Petrol?? Wouldn't it also be giving grief on LPG as it is on petrol due to being a head??

Anyways ... five minutes off leaving ... next post could be from my iPhone on the side of the road somewhere - I pray not!!!

Thanks guys.

my third 256
26th December 2010, 11:22 AM
just wondering was it a bad batch of lpg ihad this problem a couple of years back (caltex) had to drain lpg tank out plus the water 2days later the then admitted there was a problem in sa
could have been national cant remember
also with bad stuf in the lines takes a while to push through
stephen

Bigrig
26th December 2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks Stephen - have had it idling on petrol for the last 20-30 minutes now out the front (walking out the door as I type this) - no steam whatsoever, and none when I give it a punch (and seems to be running fine - responsive etc) ...

Fingers crossed - here goes ... thanks to everyone for your input/thoughts. Chat in a few days (unless it goes to poo up the road, and hence I'll be sitting here on my pat and will be back on in a couple of hours!!! LOL).

NissanGQ4.2
26th December 2010, 11:54 AM
Have a safe trip Scotty, hope 2 hear when u get back that u had no dramas with TANK

patch697
27th December 2010, 08:20 AM
Glad you got it sorted Scotty & have a safe & fun day trip mate.

Dhuck
27th December 2010, 10:27 AM
Hope the Tank survived the first part of the trip Scotty and makes it home again. By the time you get back in Bris the sun should be shining just to welcome you home.

Finly Owner
27th December 2010, 11:22 PM
No knews is good news..........

Still needs a diesel though.........

Dhuck
28th December 2010, 09:06 AM
The petrol is still a good motor just don't get the mongrels wet. I found that I need to relocate my coil.

Bigrig
28th December 2010, 03:36 PM
Hey lads - up at Hervey Bay and just jumped on the brothers PC - bit of an update - staying up here an extra day so the car can go into the service centre tomorrow - appears to be the thermostat sensor (top job Tony - you mentioned this straight away the other night without even seeing the car!!!). Got RACQ out today and got a good bloke - went through it, and he is stuck on the thermostat sensor. Getting it tested and replaced in the morning ... roads are all cut off up here now as of about 2 hours ago - Bruce Highway, Maryborough Hervey Bay Road, Torbanlea Road .. could be a fun time getting back!!! LOL

Thanks for the well wishes and suggestions - see you in a few!!!

Woof
28th December 2010, 07:31 PM
Great news there Scotty, just be very careful driving home mate and stay SAFE.

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2010, 07:33 PM
Great news there Scotty, just be very careful driving home mate and stay SAFE.

x2

Sounds like you might have some river crossings 2 do on the way home :):):)

patch697
28th December 2010, 09:33 PM
x2

Sounds like you might have some river crossings 2 do on the way home :):):)

That will only be little compared to that Video........... No probs

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 08:24 PM
Well - made it home!! Finally ...

RACQ service centre didn't have the part, but confirmed it is the Coolant Temperature Sensor that appears stuffed - picked one up from Repco this afternoon in Bris Vegas and will install it in the morning ... thanks again all.

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 08:36 PM
Well - made it home!! Finally ...

Good 2 hear mate, been quite on here, crack open a few beers and start bablin some S*** would ya

Woof
29th December 2010, 08:41 PM
Great news there Scotty, glad you got home OK mate.

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 08:54 PM
Good 2 hear mate, been quite on here, crack open a few beers and start bablin some S*** would ya

Ohhhh maaaate .... you flatter me!! LOL ... glad to see no one has assumed control of the "bullsh!t banterer" in my absence!!! lolol ...

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 09:00 PM
Ohhhh maaaate .... you flatter me!! LOL ... glad to see no one has assumed control of the "bullsh!t banterer" in my absence!!! lolol ...

I'm nearly assumed control, with u away, i managed to bulls*** my way past you in posts *L*

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm nearly assumed control, with u away, i managed to bulls*** my way past you in posts *L*

Top stuff mate!!!! Well done ... I'll have to up the ante on the bullsh!t factor to catch up!!!

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 09:09 PM
Top stuff mate!!!! Well done ... I'll have to up the ante on the bullsh!t factor to catch up!!!

That won't be hard 4 ya.

so u down next week????

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 09:14 PM
Yes sir - thought you were going to be away?? If not, I'm down the on the 2nd for a week - driving down so happy to meet you wherever ...

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 09:18 PM
Yes sir - thought you were going to be away?? If not, I'm down the on the 2nd for a week - driving down so happy to meet you wherever ...

Yeh bummer, I leave the 3rd.....for 2 weeks, we didn't time that catch up very well.

I posted something in the general just 4 u, u will just have 2 find it

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 09:40 PM
Yeh bummer, I leave the 3rd.....for 2 weeks, we didn't time that catch up very well.

I posted something in the general just 4 u, u will just have 2 find it

We'll sort it someway or another ... I'll go hunting now for what it is I'm supposed to find in general !!! ... thanks for peeking my curiosity!! LOL

Finly Owner
29th December 2010, 10:56 PM
Hey Scott, check out the state forests between Maryborough,TinCan Bay and Glenwood down to Gympie for a different way home. I used to live in Glenwood, some nice Emus runnong wild up there. Creek crossings and changing dirt surfaces.

Bigrig
30th December 2010, 01:54 PM
Well - changed the sensor this morning, and all is sweet!!! Thanks again for the help - never ceases to amaze me that one small item ($42 and about the size of a AA battery) can cause so much of an issue all round ...

NissanGQ4.2
30th December 2010, 02:08 PM
great news Scotty :)

Maxhead
30th December 2010, 03:31 PM
Good to hear you got it sorted mate.....bloody sensors, hey!!!

Bob
30th December 2010, 04:09 PM
This Post and the response is typical of this Forum. Tony is a legend and we are extremely lucky to have him as a very active member.
Congrats to AB and the moderators on this forum

Bigrig
30th December 2010, 04:24 PM
Just so it is on the thread (and before I forget) for future reference - a couple of shots of where the sensor is located and what it looks like. To remove the plug, you need to pry up the small circlip (be very careful not to drop it down into the engine bay, as it's bloody hard to find ... not that I did that ... ahem ...). Then just screw the old one out, and screw the new one in!!!

Symptoms were:

1. Hard to start on Petrol
2. Once started, ran rough as guts and blew black smoke on hitting the throttle
3. On Petrol (didn't do it on LPG) it sort of goes to stall just as you hit the accelerator before the injectors punch heaps of petrol through and it comes to life
4. Lack of power
5. Once warm (and immediately when re-started warm) immediately idles up to anywhere between 1050-1400 RPM's

A close up - just on the left side of the thermostat housing as you look at the engine from the front (yellow plug and sensor head standard - new sensor is green as per photo).

Bit further away showing location relevant to alternator etc.

The old sensor - pen included for scale (not the tool I used to get it out!!! LOL)

Side view.

Top view of the 2 pin plug.

Sir Roofy
30th December 2010, 07:21 PM
a very interesting thread as bob said,we are very lucky to have so much imput from so many enthusiasts of patrols

cheers roofy

NissanGQ4.2
30th December 2010, 07:37 PM
:1062: I know this was a "TANK" problem but maybe a re-post this under mechanical / Electrical ( considering sensor is electrical ) would be a good idea Scotty.

Just a bourbon thought :1062:

Dhuck
30th December 2010, 09:03 PM
I agree with that Tod. That is only a beer or few thought.

Bigrig
30th December 2010, 09:09 PM
Here here boys - chugging down a few myself as it turns out, and that is a sterling idea ... soooooo ... how do I do that??? LOLOL ....

but seriously though, how??

Woof
30th December 2010, 10:40 PM
Here here boys - chugging down a few myself as it turns out, and that is a sterling idea ... soooooo ... how do I do that??? LOLOL ....

but seriously though, how??

Done mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2161-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor

Clunk
31st December 2010, 05:15 PM
Glad to hear the tank is all sorted out.... thanks for the post guys, will be filing that one away for that just in case moment.

GQ UTE
2nd January 2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys will keep that in mind!
Glad to hear you got it fixed and arrived home!

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks all - just finished a nice 2000+ klm trip again and quite frankly - Tank purred all the way ... will post the figures up in the other thread on fuel consumption, as each time I replace something, my consumption seems to be going in the right direction without power loss etc etc - so I am dead set stoked!!!!

AB
9th January 2011, 08:39 AM
Good to hear Scotty, glad your trip went well!

Welcome back!

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2011, 09:39 AM
Welcome back Scotty,

Glad 2 hear Tank got u there and back safely and without any dramas, please don't post your fuel consumption please, you don't want 2 see a grown man cry now do u?

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 10:21 AM
Welcome back Scotty,

Glad 2 hear Tank got u there and back safely and without any dramas, please don't post your fuel consumption please, you don't want 2 see a grown man cry now do u?

Too late old mate ... the number are in, and they look gooooooood ... (cue crying session!!) LOL