PDA

View Full Version : RTC Steering damper?

jake_308
25th December 2010, 08:49 PM
i was thinking about upgrading to one for my GU ute. is it worth it? what are the main advantages of getting one? how much $$$? what brands? will i notice that much difference?

*just noticed spelling. cant seem to edit it. i should really proof read my posts

NissanGQ4.2
25th December 2010, 09:33 PM
I had to renew my steering damper a few months ago, Really can not see the benefit of paying the extra money for one.

YNOT
25th December 2010, 09:42 PM
The only real advantage of an RTC damper is they have a spring to return the steering to straight ahead (as the name suggests). For me personally I would just get a good quality 35mm bore conventional (not RTC) damper.

To edit your post just click on the "edit post" icon at the bottom of each of your posts. To edit the title you will then need to click on "go advanced".

Tony

Bigrig
25th December 2010, 09:43 PM
Had my suspension fully replaced about 5 weeks ago and actually kept the original dampener that was on it - nothing wrong with it, so it stay as it lay!!! X2 on Todd's comments above - can't see the point in the extra moolah ... spend it elsewhere on the rig!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
25th December 2010, 10:41 PM
Forgot 2 mention, my mate works for ARB, and when i asked him to get me a damper, i asked about RTC, he even said it wasn't worth the extra money. As Tony posted just get a good quality 35mm bore conventional (not RTC) damper.

Ben-e-boy
2nd January 2011, 01:40 PM
I was under the impression that the rtc damper was better for bigger tyres. Is this true??

Cheers

YNOT
2nd January 2011, 02:10 PM
The only difference between a conventional and an RTC damper is the spring. All the spring does is centre the steering. If some one can explain to me how a RTC damper is better able to control big tyres I'm all ears.
Not having a go at you Ben, I've heard the same thing. but no one's ever been able to explain it to me.

Tony

gibbon
3rd January 2011, 11:33 AM
im another vote for non rtc
i had a rtc type n swaped it for a tuff dog adjustable n there is no comprasion the td shits all over it

Mrowka
12th January 2011, 02:12 AM
I am not the biggest suspension expert out there and only repeating conventional wisdumb and stuff, but a RTC damper is a "bandaid" type solution that doesn't fix the real cause of your problems.

Fix the problem and you won't need the RTC damper.

stets
12th January 2011, 09:56 AM
i have used standard (conventional) types, RTC and the tough dog adjustable steering dampers, all do have their advantages of sorts.

conventional types are light on the steering and help in the way of small rocks etc so the steering wheel doesnt get dislodged from your hands while off road **** this is for the guys that like to play once or twice a year, some beach work but mostly your daily driver/tow vehicle

rtc's the next step up in steering aids off road, but you are not only fighting the valves inside the shock, you are also fighting the spring so your steering gets a little heavier but you do have more control off road, and your wheels point straight when you arent holding the steering wheel **** this is for the tourer and good for the beach

adjustable's, these are the ducks nuts, fully sic, best of everything, turn the dial to lessen the effects of wheel throw when off road, then dial back for on road driving, if your truck is in good order, you can do away with your damper on road just about so set it according to your trucks performance. **** this option is well worth it if you are heavily into your rocks and such