PDA

View Full Version : Td's rear bar

threedogs
27th May 2013, 03:10 PM
Been thinking of a custom rear bar for ages and pretty sure I was not paying huge $$$ to carry one extra wheel.
Came across this in the skip at local 4x4 shop, so this front bar will now make up most of my rear bar,
just need to shape the ends up hopefully gaining a little departure angle along the way.
FYI the bar is off late model Lux, Down to sheeties in the morning to grab some materials

BigRAWesty
27th May 2013, 03:18 PM
Great thinking TD.. so rear winch to too fill the gap

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

the ferret
27th May 2013, 04:52 PM
I wanna see it all up and runn'n when I get back TD, you have 8 weeks.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
27th May 2013, 05:01 PM
BA dropped a winch over a while back and there is a GQ near my powder coater who's just fitted rear winch.
Easy enough to mount the bar its Replicating those big plastic bits of rear bumper...... But now I have the bar My heads spinning with ideas.
Hoping it will look OE but with a better departure angle, lots of flap discs, not impossible, just fiddly.
Not fitting any arms for spare wheel/tyre combos. Might have to re visit big Fletch's rear bar Thread.
Already know it'll end up heavier, But not a fan of the plastic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

89gqpatrol4x4
27th May 2013, 07:51 PM
great idea! Keep us posted.

threedogs
28th May 2013, 04:52 PM
Nah aint going to happen, got the tape out and cause I want a one piece rear bar this one is too small
by about 150mm. Its off a Lux so that explains that. Bummer, better tell Ferret lol got 8 weeks to show him nothing.
Would be interested to know how many would like an all steel rear bar without the wheel carriers.??
thinking I could make them for way less than the ones with twin wheels carriers, PM me if interested obviously need to make mine first.
Remember Steel rear bumper only, Powder coated any colour

Rustyboner81
18th July 2013, 04:47 PM
hows this build going?

threedogs
18th July 2013, 05:16 PM
Nah its at a stand still, saw one on a mates FJ cruiser it looks Stealth, like the Bomber, If I can replicate that look for the rear bar I'd be very happy.
no folds instead its welded seams, that gives it that stealth look I love it. Gunna be trial and error welding in patchwork, I'll grab a pic . He got the rear bar from the states

mudski
1st August 2013, 04:44 PM
Just cut the bar in half, and make up a joining plate to look like a step to fill in the missing 150mm TD. Don't throw it out too.

threedogs
1st August 2013, 05:02 PM
I might go the STEALTH look , Its sort of Chiselled to look as every surface is separate and welded no folds, hard to explain but Awesome to look at.
Very futuristic if that's the term, Going to Coburg tomorrow so I'll grab some pics of what look I want, Also picking up a 340mm gas strut
for the small door, so I should have info on where to drill etc, I've just purchased my own RIVNUT tool so I'll use that been using the one
from QANTAS for years. As normal have way too many small jobs on at the one time. Heaps of 12v jobs.

Plus my eldest pinched the front bar for his 4x4 project, Dual cab lux with 253

mudski
1st August 2013, 10:56 PM
Plus my eldest pinched the front bar for his 4x4 project, Dual cab lux with 253
Better than nothing isn't it? :)
If someone made a nice looking rear bar out of painted or powder coated alloy I would buy one. Those bars are quite heavy and these lil ZD30's struggle enough now.

YNOT
1st August 2013, 11:06 PM
Better than nothing isn't it? :)
If someone made a nice looking rear bar out of painted or powder coated alloy I would buy one. Those bars are quite heavy and these lil ZD30's struggle enough now.

I've never seen a GU rear bar made out of alloy but to me it makes sense to use alloy. Properly made and with strengthening folds and internal bracing in the right places they would be more than strong enough for what most people would need and be half the weight - GU Kaymar bar weighs around 80kg, although that does include a towbar which wouldn't be possible with alloy.

mudski
1st August 2013, 11:20 PM
I'm sure there would be a way to design one though where you could use the standard tow bar bracket. ..

-----------------
I tapped that app

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 09:02 AM
You would need the plastic rear bumper, but that leaves you with out tail lights.
If anyone has even one at home I'd be interested in it.
OE tow bar bracket would be the chassis, very easy just to do one piece rear.
I'm thinking more like OE but slim line
Don't think an alloy rear bar would be cost effective, material/welding would cost
a fortune

healy
2nd August 2013, 09:18 AM
You would need the plastic rear bumper, but that leaves you with out tail lights.
If anyone has even one at home I'd be interested in it.
OE tow bar bracket would be the chassis, very easy just to do one piece rear.
I'm thinking more like OE but slim line
Don't think an alloy rear bar would be cost effective, material/welding would cost
a fortune

If your talking about a rear bar for gu I might be able to help

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 01:03 PM
Yeah Heals Just need something that gets me started, shape wise, what you got in mind???

healy
2nd August 2013, 01:14 PM
Ive got the rear bar on ny car you can have ive gotta see george at some stage so maybe someone up that way wouldnt mind if I left it somewhere for you to pick up as I got no need for it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah leave with George I'll Grab it from there if its ok with you, hopefully I can come up with an after market bar for the earlier GU

mudnut
2nd August 2013, 04:48 PM
a fortune

$65 an hour at my local exhaust place. If you have all the bits and pieces wire brushed, clean and ready to go, a good tradesman should be able to finish the job fairly quickly if your design isn't too complex.

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 04:58 PM
Hopefully I can design a replacement bumper that can take a hit and not pop off

florix
2nd August 2013, 06:27 PM
What's your price range? Patrol customs have a bar for $1200+&400 for wheel carrier. They are pretty good too working with me to get the look I want. Can post pics when it's sorted? States she weighs 30kgs

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah put up a pic when finished ,but have idea of the look I want already,
but sure others would like to see it as well

threedogs
21st August 2013, 08:48 AM
Hope pictures do it justice but would like to replicate the plastic black pieces into a stealth look.
Now all I need is some plastic pieces to use as a template.

healy
22nd August 2013, 10:55 AM
I dropprd the bar off with george the otherday mste

threedogs
22nd August 2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah thanks Heals, He SMS last night When 100 things were happening at once, but alls good thanks