PDA

View Full Version : gearbox/transfer case breathers

patrolmq
27th May 2013, 09:19 AM
hi,

I was extending the breathers on my MQ at the weekend. I found on my 'parts' MQ there was a clear breather tube from the transfer case to the gearbox, which had a T put into it, with a breather tube to the engine bay.

On my 'decent' MQ, it had the same clear tube, but no T piece. I can't see where this clear tube goes to on the gear box as it disappears over the top somewhere.

Is there an open end to this breather tube anywhere or does it just link the gearbox and transfer case?

Is this sufficient or does it need to be T'd into with an extension breather tube like my 'parts' MQ?

Thanks

threedogs
27th May 2013, 11:13 AM
Its a TOJO Trick. If seal goes in one oil flows to other and viceversa, Remove them IMO
fit new seals and breathers, If they snag offroad could lose oil to both.
Breathers need to go high into engine bay terminate with Ryco fuel filters.
Pic is of 6mm teflon tubing I use with pushin air fitting.

patrolmq
27th May 2013, 11:39 AM
thanks, so the gearbox and transfer case are just linked together. Seems a strange way to do it, as I'd have thought the oil/air would expand and the pressure would increase in both so it would have no where to go without an actual breather.

I'll T into it like my parts patrol and run a separate breather.

BTW, what is TOJO?

threedogs
27th May 2013, 01:17 PM
Toyota, on my 75 troopy you silver soldered this equalliser type pipe on. but just something else to snag out on the tracks

taslucas
27th May 2013, 02:01 PM
I don't think they are an equalising tube because in stock form from the factory, the transmission breather joins to the front diff breather and ends inside the inner guard near the airbox. The transmission needs to breathe.

patrolmq
27th May 2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think they are an equalising tube because in stock form from the factory, the transmission breather joins to the front diff breather and ends inside the inner guard near the airbox. The transmission needs to breathe.

That was certainly the case on my Delica, but on the MQ only the front diff goes to the inner guard. This tube just seems to go between the transfer case and the gearbox. It's right on top of them between them and the body, can't quite get my hand to where it goes on the top of the gearbox, so no snag issue there.

There is another breather on the front axle, which also has an equalizer tube between the diff and axle sections, which could get snagged and therefore I guess lose oil.

taslucas
27th May 2013, 02:54 PM
Oh ok, that's strange to have an equalising tube on the axle.
With the gearbox/transfer case breathers, is it possible that they were ment to be "t"ed together and continue higher to act as a breather but someone has just joined them in the past?
Does it show up on any manuals?

patrolmq
27th May 2013, 03:00 PM
I'm sure the un-T'd version is standard as that Patrol was stock until I got it. The other one with the T in there has been heavily modified for offroading and the breather tube had been cable tied on. I head on the 'other' forum that the gearbox/transfer breather might actually exit above the gearbox. I'll check it on the 'parts' patrol as the rubber gear shift gaiter can fairly easily be taken off. That should reveal where it goes.

taslucas
27th May 2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah id say it is a breather but it's just too hard to see where it goes.

patrolmq
28th May 2013, 08:19 AM
last night I managed to get the gear stick boot off the 'parts' patrol and I could see that clear pipe goes to the top of the gear box, where there is a small breather valve, with like a little top hat on it, I guess to try and stop water/dirt getting in. It would only be worth while T'ing into the pipe if that end was closed off somehow.

taslucas
28th May 2013, 08:57 AM
You wouldn't want to seal the end off because then it's not a breather. How about lengthening it up onto the fire wall or into the cab?

patrolmq
28th May 2013, 02:42 PM
You wouldn't want to seal the end off because then it's not a breather. How about lengthening it up onto the fire wall or into the cab?

yep, when I said "It would only be worth while T'ing into the pipe if that end was closed off somehow. ", I meant T'ing into it with a breather pipe.

taslucas
28th May 2013, 02:51 PM
Ahh yep no worries:-)

sent from my phone using motor culture