PDA

View Full Version : Swivel housing

bigboss
25th December 2010, 07:41 PM
How do you know when your swivel housing needs lubricating and how?
Cheers

YNOT
25th December 2010, 08:07 PM
The external part of the swivel housings don't need to be lubricated, any wet lubrication like grease or oil will only trap dust and turn into grinding paste.
To check swivel hub bearings you can either remove and inspect the bearings or remove the drag link and tie rod and rotate the swivel hubs by hand (wheels removed). If the swivel hubs are notchy or have a definite centre position then they need to be replaced. Another quick check is to remove one bolt from each of the bottom swivel hub bearings and see if any water drains out. If you see water then bearings need closer inspection.

Tony

ripper
26th December 2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for making that so clear Tony. Why doesn't the workshop manual explain things this simply?
Your comments in this thread are great too.
What-to-keep-my-eye-on-Preventative-Maintenance (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1587-What-to-keep-my-eye-on-Preventative-Maintenance)

YNOT
26th December 2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks Nigel,

The workshop manuals are written for mechanics so they skip over things like this.

Tony

ripper
26th December 2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah I guess so. If you count push bikes I've been doing my own mechanical stuff for over 30 years, (I'm 39) but totally new to 4WD stuff.