PDA

View Full Version : Siezed nuts on dump pipe

nomadTech87
25th May 2013, 04:34 PM
G'day all,

Started changing out my exhaust to 3" SS job. However nuts on the studs from the turbo which hold the old dump pipe on are siezed to buggery. One sheared off(lucky I have a few spare nuts which fit and there's enough thread left to replace it).
However, the nut in the bottom which is in a really tight spot up against the engine refuses to budge, a breaker bar on the end of the ratchet just rounded off the nut like butter. Before I get really serious and try getting nut splitters in there I thought I might ask: Is it about time to give up, reassemble and take it to an exhaust professional to deal with getting this nut off/ possibly replace the broken stud?

threedogs
25th May 2013, 04:43 PM
Give it a decent spray
, Do PPL use brass studs and brass nuts these days ??

nomadTech87
25th May 2013, 05:15 PM
yep, gave it a good spray with penetrant. It has the appearance of steel with the softness of brass -_-. I don't know what they use for exhaust studs/nuts but I've had this same problem with the manifold on my mate's Camry. Fortunately that time it was in a spot where I could get nutsplitters and vicegrips in easily.
... I think this time I'm going to take the cautious way out and reassemble it as is. Need the car on Monday and if I stuff it up tonight that aint gonna happen

NP99
25th May 2013, 05:24 PM
This is what you need mate

http://www.masters.com.au/product/900032601/metrinch-impact-socket-set-15-piece

Someone else here put me on to them.

nomadTech87
10th July 2013, 08:41 PM
I should follow up my post and say that while I eventually got it off and got the old exhaust out, the whole thing turned into a massive nightmare with getting the new exhaust in, had my stands up as far as they could go and just couldn't get the front piece to get up into the engine, needed to rotate the piece in and the garage floor was in the way. Ended up spending the next morning putting the old exhaust back in temporarily and today an exhaust shop fitted the new one. They stated there was "no way" it was going in unless you had a hoist and even they struggled. I plan on writing this up in full for the DIY thread

avpatrol
28th April 2014, 08:33 PM
two methods, CRC, penetrant etc. and keep working the nut back and forth. Or hit with some heat.

I had a similar problem a week ago, i was fortunate enough that the seized nut unwound the stud with it, so i was able to put them in a vice and heat them with a torch.