PDA

View Full Version : On the Hunt for a Patrol - Need Info Please?

chief10
25th June 2010, 10:21 AM
Hi guys, just signed up and am hoping someone can answer this for me.

Nice looking forum, I'll introduce myself when I get back home tonight. Just sneaking a quick post in at work...hehe

I'm looking at buying a Patrol soon and I read on a general 4x4 forum and the guy wrote this...

That I need stay away from anything of the 3 Litre Diesel range pre-2003. These are the ones that "had the problem" - do a google search or a search on any multitude of 4wd forums and you will find out what we mean.

Why, what was wrong with 3L diesels pre - 2003?

Nissan Kid
25th June 2010, 11:20 AM
Hey Chief 10
Welcome to the forum Mate!

The Problem with the Pre 2003 3l's (also referred to as the Grenade) had a problem with the Waste gate, I think they get to a cretin point and then start to over boost and then go bang.
I think this was one of the manny problems with them.

If you were after a Diesel the pick of the bunch is the 4.2l expect to pay a premium for a patrol with this motor. Other than that any of the 3l patrols that are the later Common rail motors are fine but do cost more.
The other thing you can consider is a 4.5 or 4.8 Petrol. They have loads of power, however they are quite thirsty but run well on gas.

This one for example a 2004 4.2l TD for around the $30,000
http://photos.carsguide.news.com.au/drive_images/dealer/wescar/WZP564/1_600.jpg

Hope this helps you mate
Matt

chief10
25th June 2010, 11:51 AM
Cheers mate, that was bugging me that question. :)

RustyNails
25th June 2010, 12:37 PM
Pre 2003 had issue with not getting enough oil under certain circumstances (over boost is one) to particularly pot 3.
To fix this they increased oil capacity and a few other related things.
That being said I have not personally met anyone with pre-2003 blown 3Ls but I have met two post-2003 (one a 2004 and the other 2005) both of which went boom well before 100K.
But there are a lot of 3L around still going strong, my MIL has one with 170K and it is sweet and has had no issues at all.
A general feel for what people have said on the net is that they need regular servicing and it is good insurance to get a Boost and an EGT gauge.

Paul

Nev
25th June 2010, 01:51 PM
As others have said, many issues especially with the early models. The main problems seem to be with series II GU 3L's which I think ran from 2000 to 2001. Series I only had the 2.8 and 4.2 in the diesel range. Yes there has been a lot of blown motors to warrant concern but in the overall scheme of how many are out there, it is still a fairly small problem. Your call as to whether you take the risk. A rebuild generally sits you back around 11k from what I've read. Personally, I saved a bit longer and got a 4.2. There is certainly a few key mods that seem to help on the 3L's though including fitting EGT and boost gauge to monitor boost and temp and a dawes valve to cap the max boost. Could be wrong on this but I think the boost spiking is due to the use of a variable vane turbo. Someone can confirm this point though I'm sure.

Good luck with the purchase!
John.

chief10
25th June 2010, 02:21 PM
Cheers RustyNails & Nev.

I would'nt mind saving up and getting the 4.2. I can borrow some extra off the bank as I'm almost there within my budget.

Could be wrong on this but I think the boost spiking is due to the use of a variable vane turbo. Someone can confirm this point though I'm sure. Someone else will have ton confirm this with us??????