PDA

View Full Version : I like building things: My GU Drawers

trekster
19th May 2013, 10:04 PM
So as the title states I like making things, Being a fitter/machinist by trade anything that can be made/fabricated I enjoy. Today I decided I wanted to have a crack at some drawers for the GU, been wanting to do this for a while now and a few months ago I had cut and bolted a piece of ply to the floor so it was time to make some more progress.

I like to reuse stuff wherever I can, I don't like throwing things out if they can serve another purpose, also ends up saving me money :049:

A few years ago my wife who works at freedom brought me home two tables that were written off because they had no legs, These table tops were 900x900 and 25mm thick chipboard. I found them the other night and gave me an idea to use them for the tops, they aren't too heavy and being thicker will allow me to counter-bore into them and fit some recessed tie down rings

I measured up my rear end and decided I wanted to span the whole width :D

So I went about cutting the two tops down so I could span the width and have a divider down the guts, as one top wouldn't span the 1350mm I needed. Cut them up nicely with the circular saw then the offcuts were cut down to form the centre divider and a support at the back, It isn't full width but didn't bother me as it fills most of it across and won't cause too many hassles.

I found a couple piece of 16mm mdf that I had in the garage and cut them down to length and height as well for the outside supports. 1 of them had 2 holes in it, I had practiced cutting out some holes with my hole cutter when I was installing some downlights, so I've purposely placed the holes at the front. What I intend doing is mounting my air compressor in the left drawer, and puttin a small hole in the draw so when it is open to use the compressor I can plug it in and away I go. I just need to purchase some fittings and make a small extender hose so I can do the front tyres as well.

Tested the fitment in the car and seemed to be pretty good, so screwed all the supports onto the floor and then rebolted it in and screwed the tops down in the car to ensure a good fit. I'm pretty happy with the end result and there is a few mm gap on the right side but once I carpet it you wouldn't even know.

I did a power line ages ago so I rescrewed the relay and power block down, screwed a saddle down over the cable to keep it in place (5 core double insulated) and quickly wired in a lcd voltage display I bought a while back as well. The display is for 2 reasons: Obviously to show what the voltage is but to also ensure I have power at my anderson fitting for the fridge (I run an old hand me down 3 way fridge which has no indicators to show if power is on or not).

Next step for me is to carpet the top and front, also to make a fascia on the left side there and install the lcd into it, then find some runners to make up the drawers and a fridge slide.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it so far considering that the materials I have had lying around the only thing I've spent money on is the lcd which was a couple of bucks :)

Cheers,
Eric.

NP99
19th May 2013, 10:13 PM
Great work mate, I like the start slow concept :)

trekster
19th May 2013, 10:23 PM
Great work mate, I like the start slow concept :)

No point in rushing these things unless you like doing the same work over and over, I measured most of my cuts 3 times before cutting (had to factor in the dimension from the blade to the side of the plate) I'm really happy with how its going to progress from here, Need to price up some carpet :D Clark rubber here I come!

happygu
19th May 2013, 11:23 PM
Trekster,

Try mounting your compressor outside of the drawers as it will be a real pain clicking and unclicking power leads and air leads all the time when you want to use it.

Possibly mount it down the LHS if you want it down the back

Mic

BigRAWesty
20th May 2013, 12:26 AM
Hi mate. Good build so far and well done on having a crack.
But I must stress proceed with caution with using chip board.. although it maybe light I has no structural integrity at all. And once flexing and extra weight of fridges, camping gear etc it WILL crumble overtime. And you may not notice with the covering untill one day you have a fridge in your lap..

Laminated ply should be used, and 12mm its plenty. It will withstand the beating and not fail.
If that's not an option then invest in a good cargo barrier.

Sorry to dampen a good build, but safety is paramount in my eyes.
And enjoy the rest of the build. Design is good so far.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

trekster
14th June 2013, 08:37 AM
Hey Kallen, this stuff isn't the normal type I believe as it is friggin heavy as! Here's an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
14th June 2013, 09:09 AM
Ok, it looks like its ply covered chip. A bit stronger buy yea, use caution as it still may fracture internally.

But looks nice with the carpet.. did you use marine carpet?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

trekster
14th June 2013, 02:06 PM
It's automotive carpet from bunnings, so far at $36/m it's the most expensive part so far....

pascal1
14th June 2013, 02:47 PM
very inspiring, and well done
I would like to find a design that would allow folding it all (or unmouting) once removed from the car, so I can store it easily, any ideas?

threedogs
14th June 2013, 04:23 PM
Trekster, Love it, you're crossing over to the wooden side of things.
You could hard wire the compressor , Then using oneway valve ,Manifold
pressure switch and push click air fittings, have front and rear air outlets using Nitto
female. Then you'll only need a short hose to access all wheels. Dolium Do a water tank that'll fit
in behind your cargo barrier too.

soronation
26th June 2013, 12:47 AM
Look great mate thats my next proect

hempo
1st July 2013, 01:21 PM
Nice work there mate

trekster
21st July 2013, 09:55 PM
Here is an update:

Got some materials over the weekend so made a start to finish this project off, also made some alterations to my volt meter and Anderson plug.

Testing draw fit.

Installed meter into trim and screwed Anderson plug down.

Faced drawer with carpet, just needs handle and some sort of locking mechanism

Plenty of room to fit gear in :)

BigRAWesty
21st July 2013, 11:24 PM
Looking good mate. I see you have little ones to. I ran the floor right to the back of the seats and put a hole threw for the baby seats. Then the cargo barrier just behind the holes. Picked up a neat 130mm shelf behind the seats and an extra 150mm cargo area..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

trekster
22nd July 2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah, Very happy with this as I can put small things down between the seat and box and they are well contained, Need to get my cargo barrier back in soon but I need to take it to work and sandblast it all up before I do that.

Cheers,
Eric.

trekster
4th August 2013, 09:07 PM

Have installed my compressor here with an anderson plug for power, Now I just need a short straight extension hose to allow my flex hose to get to the fronts a little easier.

Plenty of room for junk hahaha

BigRAWesty
5th August 2013, 06:10 AM
Very nice finish. You need a 3rd draw for pantry... There full up already..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

trekster
5th August 2013, 06:49 AM
Very nice finish. You need a 3rd draw for pantry... There full up already..

Moreso I need to tidy it up a bit and sort it all out hahaha. Next plan is to make a drop down table off the large door for food preparation etc.

trekster
16th August 2013, 09:09 PM
Got the cargo barrier in today :)

NP99
16th August 2013, 11:47 PM
Eric, what slides did you use?
Shane

trekster
17th August 2013, 10:54 AM
Eric, what slides did you use?
Shane

Shane just some cheap bunnings ones, I don't have alot of weight in them they are only rated to 25kg.

Cheers,
Eric.

trekster
17th August 2013, 10:55 AM
Cargo barrier is also a fun kids playpen hahaha

Chilledwun
1st September 2013, 06:31 PM
Look great...another project to add to my list.