PDA

View Full Version : Wheels becoming unbalanced

metty
22nd December 2010, 11:37 PM
I am finding after about 5000 km the wheels are becoming unbalanced. I am having to get my wheels re balanced every 6 months or 5000km. I think the next step is to change out the wheel bearings. There seems to be a little play there. Any tips?

metty
22nd December 2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry. The beast is a 2002 GU DX 4.2lt Trayback

YNOT
22nd December 2010, 11:42 PM
Definitely repack/adjust or replace your wheel bearings, but I can't see that causing your wheels to get out of balance. What size and type are the tyres, are they wearing evenly? When did you last get a wheel alignment done?

Tony

patch697
22nd December 2010, 11:46 PM
100% agree with what Tony said above & my 2 cents as well.

I rotate & rebalanced my wheels in about the same interval just to keep thing nice & even & as for your balancing going out? Tyres do not wear even no matter how good everything is on your Rig so you would more that likely find that thay will be out even after little more than a month, maybe not by much but still out none the less.

I hope this helps in some way.

metty
22nd December 2010, 11:48 PM
Wheel alignment was done about 6 months ago, The tyers are definately wearing evenly. They area SAVA 7.50R16LT on split rims

DX grunt
23rd December 2010, 10:32 AM
G'day Metty

Mine's an ex Telstra 05 DX ute. I put the same size tyres back on with my split rims. I'm running LT235/85R16 Kumho Road Venture AT - and love them.

My previous tyres had been on since I bought my truck from a car yard and were crap and would use to wobble at about 90k. Initially my new tyres didn't wobble, but seem to be doing it a little bit now - under brakes mainly.

I'm really putting it down to poor quality roads. I live in the Wheatbelt area and we have lots of fully loaded road trains full of wheat going up and down the road all the time, as well as all the other road/trains and vehicular traffic. Over time, the road deterioriates. When I'm under brakes at any reasonable speed, sometimes my steering wheel shakes, but I really think it is the weight of my truck, under brakes, combined with the poor quality roads that is causing it. I can't remember it doing it when I'm driving normally. It doesn't happen often, but I'm very conscious of it.

Having said that, I'm paying really close attention to it and monitoring the road quality and my truck. If I had any doubt whatsoever, I'd be taking it back to my mechanic and asking him to look a bit harder.

Hope this helps.

Ross

OOps.... somebody change this to the correct thread.... please. Thanks in advance. Done

MQ MAD
23rd December 2010, 11:18 AM
You would need absolutely flogged out bearings for the rims to throw a wieght,if it would even happen

Do you do alot of off roading ???

Its very strange that the wieght just fall off,or rims continualy need rebalancing
Continual rim/wheel abuse,hitting gutters at speed,off roading ,drivin over little cars even,can be a factor in rims outta balance
Another thing to check
Is there alot of wieghts in 1 spot on the rim/rims ????
If there is the rims have damage and need replacing

1 thing you havent mentioned
How old are the tyres ????
Maybe tyre seperation happening ???

Bigrig
23rd December 2010, 11:23 AM
Delamination??

metty
23rd December 2010, 02:39 PM
The tyers are in good condition and about 12 months old. They are not throwing weights. I have had this problem since owning the vehicle. It travels fine when re balanced and after 6 months and around 5000km I start to get a good shake at about 90 - 100 kmph. The wheels dont really get much abuse. I have been mainly road driving lately. I have been told from a few mechs that this could be a common problem with this model.

All thoughts appreciated.

I think I will change the bearings out this time and see what happens.

Bigrig
23rd December 2010, 02:46 PM
Steering Damper? Panhard Bushes? Camber problem? I'm running out of things I could even remotely think of .. sorry ..

metty
27th December 2010, 02:32 AM
Wil let you all know how the wheel bearing change went.

Might take 6 months to see if I still have the same prob.

Cheers

Metty

metty
31st December 2010, 02:54 AM
Changed the front wheel bearings out yesterday and had another wheel balance.
The U Bute Ute is driving well again.
We will see how it goes this time.

Cheers

Metty

acb123
8th January 2011, 02:09 PM
I have a 2.8lt 1997 patrol with everything that holds the front end together replaced. I have had the same shake at 80-90 km's have had wheel balances and alignments pre tentioning of swivel hub bearings seems to fix for a period of time and returns I am going to replace both front wheels and have wheel alighment and balance again for the second time this week. To see if that helps as there is nothing left that i can think of.

Any ideas welcome.

gazoo
10th January 2011, 09:12 PM
yea i have the same problem my tyres r new 3mths old. all bushers replaced bearing checked and repacked steering dampner replaced had wheel aliment done and it stills throws the weights off and gets a vibration at about 90 to 115klms hr now iam just run out of things it could be has anybody got ideas??

YNOT
10th January 2011, 09:28 PM
If the correct balance weights are used and properly fitted, they should not fly off.

Tony

gazoo
10th January 2011, 09:42 PM
thanks tony but ive had 3 tyre place's rebalance my tyres and they all fly off at about 80 or so ks u can here them hitting under the 4by like rocks
they r now telling me my rims (mags) my have a fault in them (yea they tell us anything so we spend our money with them)anyway iam going to get a new or 2nd hand set of sunraiser's 15x8 in the next few weeks and c wat happens i hate the mags anyway lol

Adlarplant
25th January 2011, 01:58 AM
Check the movement in the trunion bearings in your front hubs i tossed out the factory shims in mine ages ago to tighten them up havent had the dreaded nissan wheel wobble since

YNOT
25th January 2011, 05:01 AM
By trunion bearings do you mean swivel hub bearings?

Tony

Adlarplant
25th January 2011, 11:45 AM
thats the one depends where u did your trade