PDA

View Full Version : Help finding reversing light wires

Peter C
15th May 2013, 10:14 PM
Please advise if you can help me locate the reversing light wires under the dash of my 2005 Nissan Auto Diesel. I have fitted the camera to my caravan but haven't got a clue as to where the reversing light wire is.
Thanks Pete

BigRAWesty
15th May 2013, 10:25 PM
Pull the tail light out and see which wire runs to the globe.. but not sure if it would be under the dash. Possibly behind fuse box

trekster
15th May 2013, 11:07 PM
One would think there would be something around the t-shifter? Move it into reverse and the wire picks it and powers the reverse light?

my third 256
15th May 2013, 11:27 PM
i think there is a wireing loom (connector) under front drivers seat of run a wire from the back
or just have it live all the time so when driving you can see behind caravan

NP99
15th May 2013, 11:49 PM
i think there is a wireing loom (connector) under front drivers seat of run a wire from the back
or just have it live all the time so when driving you can see behind caravan

Depending on the individual, having it live all the time can drive you crazy!!!

Peter C
16th May 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your advise.
Peter C

P4trol
16th May 2013, 04:25 PM
My take on this is:

You have wired up a reverse camera to your caravan, and need the reverse light to send a signal to your camera to turn on?

Are you hoping to find it close to the screen (in cab)?

Or at the back of the vehicle? (in a trailer plug there is provision for such a signal. Used in one instance to activate a solenoid to disable the hydraulic brakes.)

I am unsure if this wire is connected in a patrol.

threedogs
16th May 2013, 04:38 PM
Should be one coming off Auto or gearbox ,Loom may be under centre console,
Not 100% sure have you tried searching, must have been done heaps of times.

Peter C
19th May 2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks again Three dogs. reversing power found in channel along side passengers seat,
Monitor power taken from auxiliary connection under split covers on steering wheel. all sorted and working.
ps. Have you heard of the sub-tank being used without the under dash press button being operated ?
A bit of a nuisance on long trips. Nissan can't find fault, nor can I as it only happens occasionally.
Not real flash when you expect to have a full sub-tank and it's half empty !!

Thanks again mate,
Peter C

gbab01
19th May 2013, 02:29 PM
Peter, your sub tank question may be simply that each time you start up your Patrol the pump deposits a small amount of fuel from the sub to the main (I seem to remember this is spoken about somewhere in this forum). I can't recall the exact reason but I think it has something to do with not allowing the fuel to sit in the tank for ages and become stale. It is surprising how each little squirt will eventually drain your sub.

P4trol
19th May 2013, 07:40 PM
+1

lots of short trips (lots of start ups) will make your sub tank slowly look like it's got a leak.

Coldcomfort
4th July 2013, 04:06 PM
Best place to get the reversing light power is on a plug that is mounted behind the passenger kick panel. From memory it the only yellow wire there....

trekster
16th July 2013, 08:48 PM
Best place to get the reversing light power is on a plug that is mounted behind the passenger kick panel. From memory it the only yellow wire there....

This man is a legend! Can confirm that on my series 1 the only yellow wire with no trace is reverse + 12v

Currently in progress of installing a camera and wanted an easier pickup for power rather then pulling out taillight loom.

Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

mudski
16th July 2013, 09:39 PM
This man is a legend! Can confirm that on my series 1 the only yellow wire with no trace is reverse + 12v

Currently in progress of installing a camera and wanted an easier pickup for power rather then pulling out taillight loom.

Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Eric.

Trekky. I put my camera between the number plate and the door handle. About an inch from the right end of the number plate. Good spot, you can just see the edge of the spare wheel so you can gauge how close you get to things.

trekster
16th July 2013, 09:59 PM
Trekky. I put my camera between the number plate and the door handle. About an inch from the right end of the number plate. Good spot, you can just see the edge of the spare wheel so you can gauge how close you get to things.

Heh, I don't think I will be able to fit mine there, this thing is a monster, it has infrared leds for night which after testing it tonight appears to be pretty bloody good!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/69.jpg

I have plenty of lead so I have no problems where I put it, Just need to find a good place!

Cheers,
Eric.

mudski
16th July 2013, 10:23 PM
I looked at those but even the cheap chinese units work o.k at night. Now I have a lil' 9inch light bar on the back its even better. I want a small camera so it was out of the way...

trekster
16th July 2013, 10:30 PM
That thing above is a cheap chinese camera hahaha, I was surprised by the clarity playing around with it tonight, was really really good for the price! ($30 odd bucks)

Cheers,
Eric.

mudski
16th July 2013, 10:35 PM
I hear ya mate. I was the size that puts me off on that one.

Adventurous
21st October 2013, 07:00 PM
Heh, I don't think I will be able to fit mine there, this thing is a monster, it has infrared leds for night which after testing it tonight appears to be pretty bloody good!

I have plenty of lead so I have no problems where I put it, Just need to find a good place!

Cheers,
Eric.

I have been tempted by this camera. Have you found a good place to mount?

trekster
21st October 2013, 08:56 PM
I have been tempted by this camera. Have you found a good place to mount?

I have mine mounted in the rear bar, so far so good and very happy!

Cheers,
Eric.

Adventurous
21st October 2013, 10:39 PM
I have mine mounted in the rear bar, so far so good and very happy!

Can you expand on 'in the rear bar'. Do you have a picture?