PDA

View Full Version : roof consol help please

crouchy1989
13th May 2013, 06:00 PM
i am looking at putting a roof console in my 91 GQ LWB but have no idea how to mount it or where to start with getting it to match the roof line.
any tips or hits would be great

MudRunnerTD
13th May 2013, 06:06 PM
Use the Mirror Mount in the middle. on both sides you can screw to the lining rail. through the lining though.

threedogs
13th May 2013, 07:27 PM
Have a search ,I'm sure there would be something for you to get some Ideas.
Keeps us updated please

BigRAWesty
13th May 2013, 07:53 PM
There is actually f all on this sit for roof consoles.. I've looked as I'm making one to.. another thing to add to the growing list...

Um, if your keen to buy a bloke does boot in jobbies for a couple of hundred I think.

But if your handy with the tools $100 should see it threw.

Attachment points are the mirror point and original light..
Imo great if not using it for heavy storage.. a couple of maps etc..
If wanting to mount a uhf or head unit I'd suggest fixing to the roof beams.

If your after a neat install of electrical in it you'll need to put in.. pretty sure you have to remove part of the lining to run the wires across the roof and down the pillars.. could be wrong though.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
13th May 2013, 09:22 PM
There is actually f all on this sit for roof consoles.. I've looked as I'm making one to.. another thing to add to the growing list...

Um, if your keen to buy a bloke does boot in jobbies for a couple of hundred I think.

But if your handy with the tools $100 should see it threw.

Attachment points are the mirror point and original light..
Imo great if not using it for heavy storage.. a couple of maps etc..
If wanting to mount a uhf or head unit I'd suggest fixing to the roof beams.

If your after a neat install of electrical in it you'll need to put in.. pretty sure you have to remove part of the lining to run the wires across the roof and down the pillars.. could be wrong though.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

What Kallen is referring too is for a roof console running down the middle of the car so you use the mirror mount and the central interior light mount and move your light into the overhead console. Good for a screen for the kids too.

In my GQ I have one that goes across the car and gives a stash spot above the driver and passenger and a bigger central spot. Good for maps and phone and stuff. When it gets hard and steep though things can come flying out though;)

Mine I'd mounted to the mirror and the two outer rails. I have power running up the passenger A pillar and have a dual battery gauge installed there.

crouchy1989
20th May 2013, 06:43 PM
Use the Mirror Mount in the middle. on both sides you can screw to the lining rail. through the lining though.

thanks this is what I was after all a big help
Plans have been slowed right down due to no job and my radiator decided it wants to leak. but have designed a set of draws as well now so sort a few issues out get some coin and let the construction begin.
will put up designs for both roof console and draws

threedogs
20th May 2013, 06:53 PM
My radator just went puts some gold flakes in it called "doneDeal" stopped leak straight away
off topic sorry
Dont use MDF for drawers use marine ply
MDF useless if it gets wet

Malgreen
20th May 2013, 11:02 PM
Hey Three Dogs,
thinking about building my own roof console as well due to me wanting to put the head unit of a media center ( not cd ) up top, i am going to modify my dash to fit a ipad,, so the question is...
is MDF ok to use on the roof console? mainly for the ease of shaping etc.... or will it fall apart?
i was going to buy a black widow console but any thing that is mounted is only held by tape,, not real good for rough roads...

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2013, 11:36 PM
Hey Three Dogs,
thinking about building my own roof console as well due to me wanting to put the head unit of a media center ( not cd ) up top, i am going to modify my dash to fit a ipad,, so the question is...
is MDF ok to use on the roof console? mainly for the ease of shaping etc.... or will it fall apart?
i was going to buy a black widow console but any thing that is mounted is only held by tape,, not real good for rough roads...

MDF will be fine mate. Glue and screw. 6mm will be fine for an overhead console and will keep,the weight down.

MDF is ok for rear drawers as long as you paint it and don't make a habit of sitting in bog holes and swamping your car. ;)

If your making the drawers from scratch though and if your paying for the materials then 12mm ply for the drawer sides and 15mm for the bottom of the drawers and the top of the unit are a winner. Again, glue and screw and your on a winner

happygu
21st May 2013, 12:08 AM
MDF will be fine mate. Glue and screw. 6mm will be fine for an overhead console and will keep,the weight down.

MDF is ok for rear drawers as long as you paint it and don't make a habit of sitting in bog holes and swamping your car. ;)

If your making the drawers from scratch though and if your paying for the materials then 12mm ply for the drawer sides and 15mm for the bottom of the drawers and the top of the unit are a winner. Again, glue and screw and your on a winner

I never plan to sit in the bottom of bogholes .....it just happens

Cuppa
21st May 2013, 12:12 AM
I'm gonna beg to differ with Mudrunner a bit. :)
Firstly though let me say that I've never had a 4wd with drawers in it, whether in a bog hole or not. I have however removed someone's previous effort at fitting out our bus in MDF & replaced it all with pine framing & aluminiunm angle framing, clad in 3mm, 5mm & 7mm ply. I estimate that I saved half a tonne of weight doing so, it is very heavy stuff.
It is also true that painting (or varnishing) MDF will seal it, but make sure you do a damn good job, 'cos if moisture gets into it swells like a tampon in a glass of beer! lol.
I'd also agree that 6mm MDF is a reasonable choice for an overhead console (although 3mm ply on a riveted aluminium frame would be lighter (but more dificult to construct).

What I would disagree with is that MDF is ok for the drawers. Not only are drawers more vulnerable to getting wet, but chances are you would need to use 19mm MDF & that is going to be way heavier than the Plywood alternative. Mudrunner's suggestion for 12m & 15mm ply is a far better alternative to MDF (& safer too. most places selling it these days won't cut sheets for you because of OH & S - it gives off a very fine & toxic dust when cut with power tools).

On the topic of overhead consoles in general, I'd be interested in what anyone who has one fitted actually thinks of theirs. I have this gut feeling that they are one of those things that look like a good idea but in practice are less so?

Cuppa

BigRAWesty
21st May 2013, 12:36 AM
I'm fitting a threw the center style for a few reasons..
1- I'm out of din spots.. I have a pull out cup holder which sits into a single din spot, so I will be using the in dash one above the uhf..

2- it gives us a little more storage for things like maps and mags.

3- the reason for going center over across the front style is my height.. I'm 6'1 so if I was to lower the roof line it would impede line of sight, and also add a nasty hazard.

4- I intend on fitting a flip down DVD player for the rear seats (kids).. currently have a 7" portable DVD player but as no. 2 gets older she'll want to watch aswell..
So if I can source a split single din DVD player with external screen option this will be fitted into roof console.

So yea, mine will be functional. And sexy..:D

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

GQ TANK
29th June 2013, 12:56 AM
I had a roof console across the front of my MK - it was great for mounting the cb - first aid kit etc

I was always scared that if I had a stack - I might have split my head on it. Plus I had higher seats that result in some vision retriction

I have looked at the consoles that run long ways - mirror to light. I like these and considering going this may

The mk was aliu covered in carpet (fitted to the truck when I picked it up. The sun shades where mounted to the bottom of the roof console.