PDA

View Full Version : GU 2nd gloveboxes again.

Cuppa
13th May 2013, 10:39 AM
I've seen the threads here on 2nd gloveboxes in which several folk said they were inspired by what they'd read & were going to have a go themselves.

I'm also thinking about having a go, probably using plywood, or aluminium sheet rivetted. I liked the look of the one that 'Patrol2.8’s son was building late last year, but doubt I could bend & weld steel like that.

What would be really good would be if anyone who has built their own or had one built could post pics of their 2nd glovebox here to give me ideas & help me avoid mistakes.

In particular I'd love to see details of hinge & closure arrangements, as well as general use of space.

Thanks
Cuppa

healy
13th May 2013, 10:51 AM
Ill post some pics later but I have 2x cig holders in mine and am doing a little but of light strip aswell mine is for the go pro & & charger etc i used 6mm ply screws and glue some left over carpet still got to do the door

threedogs
13th May 2013, 04:32 PM
Yeah its a very handy space, I was going to fit a 7" touch screen in the lid so passenger could use GPS or watch DVD etc

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2013, 04:35 PM
I have seen Mudski's one first hand and the work he has done is brilliant... very tidy almost factory!!!

threedogs
13th May 2013, 05:18 PM
Cool Pics please.

benno77gu
13th May 2013, 09:01 PM
same here would like to see some pics

Cuppa
13th May 2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks folks..... Looking forward to the pics.

Cuppa

P4trol
13th May 2013, 10:56 PM
Hey clunk:

Not all the people who have made second glove boxes will see this and post it here in this thread. Often they will have chosen a different forum etc. To follow everything you will either need a huge bookmark list, this thread full of links that won't work forever, or a lot of saving pics and reposting. Lots of effort to credit the original poster.

A great tool to help you is pinterest.com It is a 'virtual pinboard' Site. You name the pin board, you pin the pics. You can upload your own. You can download a browser extension so all you have to do is right click, select pin, then a short description.

The advantage is
A) you have all your ideas on one page or pinboard
B) others can see it
C) click once on the image and it gets bigger. Click again and it takes you to the original webpage/source of the pics.

(the Site otherwise is full of chicks fashions, home remedies, funny ecards, nice house pics and fitness motivation posters. Really though, it's ripe for the taking and fit for purpose!)

Search for 'second glove box mod on pintrest. There's four glove box mod pics already ;)

mudski
20th May 2013, 08:39 PM
Cool Pics please.
Just a bump for my own thread. Plus it makes it easier for other to find when they do the search for it.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20566-GU-Second-glove-box-mod-DIY!!!&p=373574#post373574

Clunk
20th May 2013, 10:26 PM
Hey clunk:

Not all the people who have made second glove boxes will see this and post it here in this thread. Often they will have chosen a different forum etc. To follow everything you will either need a huge bookmark list, this thread full of links that won't work forever, or a lot of saving pics and reposting. Lots of effort to credit the original poster.

A great tool to help you is pinterest.com It is a 'virtual pinboard' Site. You name the pin board, you pin the pics. You can upload your own. You can download a browser extension so all you have to do is right click, select pin, then a short description.

The advantage is
A) you have all your ideas on one page or pinboard
B) others can see it
C) click once on the image and it gets bigger. Click again and it takes you to the original webpage/source of the pics.

(the Site otherwise is full of chicks fashions, home remedies, funny ecards, nice house pics and fitness motivation posters. Really though, it's ripe for the taking and fit for purpose!)

Search for 'second glove box mod on pintrest. There's four glove box mod pics already ;)

Seems I have been told but can't remember what I said as it seems to have disappeared.......... Nevermind such is life

MCcrappatappalot signing on..............

happygu
21st May 2013, 12:04 AM
Hi Cuppa,

I used the Department of the Interiors 2nd Glove Box Kit, but modified the door so it had two magnet push shut, click open latches.

No pics, as the car is now with its new long term owner in Bendigo. I know the owner and can ask for pics if it helps

Mic

Cuppa
21st May 2013, 12:29 AM
Hi Cuppa,

I used the Department of the Interiors 2nd Glove Box Kit, but modified the door so it had two magnet push shut, click open latches.

No pics, as the car is now with its new long term owner in Bendigo. I know the owner and can ask for pics if it helps

Mic

Thanks Mic, details of the "two magnet push shut, click open latches" would be good if you can recall specifically what they were & where you got them. I'm kinda looking forward to building my own though, I reckon it's just taking that first step that's a bit daunting, 'cos once taken there's no going back.

I'm thinking that maybe it might be possible to use riv nuts & bolts to hinge the cover with, (I've got an air riv nut gun), but until I get started won't know if this is feasible or not.

Cuppa

mudski
21st May 2013, 07:50 PM
Haven't you read my walkthrough cups? I even took photos of said catches.

mudski
21st May 2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Cuppa,

Mic
I bought that kit too. Took one look at it, and put it back in the box and sold it. Way too small for the space that is actually available to use.
Cuppa. Don't be scared mate. Just do it. The first cut was the hardest when I started, as once you do that cut, you can't stop.
Follow my walkthrough, make adjustments to suit as you go and you'll be right. The hardest part was the hinge setup. Only because I wanted it that way, without using a piano hinge. But it paid off.

Cuppa
21st May 2013, 08:10 PM
Haven't you read my walkthrough cups? I even took photos of said catches.

Yeah course I have, was just wondering if there was an alternative catch worth considering.

I will do it, but me being me, I'll keep mulling it over & then one day I'll just dive in. I'm trying to work out in my head whether to use it as a project to carry out at the new Men's Shed, which is packed with every you beaut top of the range woodworking machines known to man. I've been trying to come up with a project to make joining worthwhile, but the reality is it would probably be easier just to do it at home with what I have.

Cuppa

mudski
21st May 2013, 08:46 PM
That push shut, click open catch it what I used. Commonly used on the glass door of a t.v cabinet.
Just do it Cuppa. Take the plunge. Take your time too and do it right. Its not as hard as you think. Just the hinge was a pain for me only because I wanted this way. MANY other people just screw a self tapper right through the lip of the lid and into the dash and use that as a hinge.

I suppose this mod to you is like understanding the solar panels to me is. Down right brain numbing.

Cuppa
21st May 2013, 09:12 PM
Just do it Cuppa. Take the plunge.

I suppose this mod to you is like understanding the solar panels to me is. Down right brain numbing.

Nah, not really, after doing the bus fit out & the camper fit out I'm confident I can manage this. Your 'how to, is very helpful in understanding what is required before starting, but I fully expect that that whatever I end up doing will be a unique 'Cuppa Creation', just have to be in the right frame of mind to start it. At the moment there are a few other things I need to be thinking about, I like to have the 'space' to 'just get on with the job' for things like this, rather than fitting it in with a bit of time here & there. Spent over 4 hours chasing sheep & lambs this morning & almost as long out looking for a fox to shoot this arvo, & I still need to get out & cut more firewood to get us through winter. Yeah they are excuses. Had to do the sheep thing, but the rest can happen anytime. Just gotta be in the right mood. :)

Cuppa