PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a snorkel

Parksy
10th May 2013, 02:56 PM
Hi all

Have just fitted a snorkel and was wondering if the drain hole in the airbox needs to get blocked off? My assumption is yes, as leaving it open would defeat the purpose of having a snorkel in the first place. But happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers

04OFF
10th May 2013, 08:38 PM
Yes agree, i blocked mine off as well, i also found a very small factory hole in the plastic noise box (GU 4.5L petrol eng), so i encourage you to also test for air leaks after you are finished your install .

makeitfit
11th May 2013, 09:03 AM
and there's me thinking that little hole was to let the water out :/
Mine has a rubber gland in it and wont let air in, but does let water out.

AB
11th May 2013, 09:10 AM
Hey mate what airbox are you talking about?

If theres the rubber gland under neath it then I would personally be leaving it open to drain water out. They are designed to let water out and not in. Could save your engine if the airbox fills up with water and has no where to go.

I used to seal mine up as well but I have left this new Patrol Docta one open and so far have had no water come inside the rubber gland.

Parksy
11th May 2013, 09:25 AM
Airbox is in a gq 4.2 efi engine. Don't think it has this gland nut that you speak of. Looks like a cone with a slit in the bottom of it.

makeitfit
11th May 2013, 09:31 AM
Looks like a cone with a slit in the bottom of it.
Aye that sounds like the same as mine , leave it in mate ;)

04OFF
11th May 2013, 10:27 AM
and there's me thinking that little hole was to let the water out :/
Mine has a rubber gland in it and wont let air in, but does let water out.

My take on it , is the drain is only designed for the exact same conditions as the factory airbox air intake, so i doubted its ability to keep water out when "submerged", (mine did not look like it would keep water out, and is located directly above the LF tyre), IMO ,just not worth risking it on a 14yr old bit of rubber located at 1M high.

That said, be interesting to see what Nissan instructions are with regard to this plug, such as when you buy a genuine factory snorkel, also do they say anything about maximum water depth after snorkel fitment ? (i know some people complain of the rivets holding the nissan badge on the side leaking water)

BTW, In the 4.5L set up, the drain tube that this plug is connected to, makes getting changing the aircleaner awkward (you have to remove airbox from its mounts), its very hard when you are trying to remove it and NOT disturb your inner gaurd silicone sealant (keeping your intake airtight) , blocking the drain off, also allows you to shorten the tube, so now i can change aircleaners easy without disturbing the seal/s.

Maybe its a 4.5L thing? :o

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 10:39 AM
My take on it , is the drain is only designed for the exact same conditions as the factory airbox air intake, so i doubted its ability to keep water out when "submerged", (mine did not look like it would keep water out, and is located directly above the LF tyre), IMO ,just not worth risking it on a 14yr old bit of rubber located at 1M high.

That said, be interesting to see what Nissan instructions are with regard to this plug, such as when you buy a genuine factory snorkel, also do they say anything about maximum water depth after snorkel fitment ? (i know some people complain of the rivets holding the nissan badge on the side leaking water)

BTW, In the 4.5L set up, the drain tube that this plug is connected to, makes getting changing the aircleaner awkward (you have to remove airbox from its mounts), its very hard when you are trying to remove it and NOT disturb your inner gaurd silicone sealant (keeping your intake airtight) , blocking the drain off, also allows you to shorten the tube, so now i can change aircleaners easy without disturbing the seal/s.

Maybe its a 4.5L thing? :o

On my 4.5 with no snorkel and stock hight, that gland didn't let any water in on the woods point trip earlier this year but saying that they where on only small river crossings and only splashed thru. I get what your saying bout removing the air box but a little twist and a push gets it off fairly easy but that plastic right angle tube that comes out of the guard would need to be changed anyway coz i don't know how water tight that olive really is with the expansion slits in it??

04OFF
11th May 2013, 01:28 PM
On my 4.5 with no snorkel and stock hight, that gland didn't let any water in on the woods point trip earlier this year ??

Your factory air intake will be sitting pretty much at the same height inside the gaurd, id be more worried about that sucking in water to be honest.

that plastic right angle tube that comes out of the guard would need to be changed anyway coz i don't know how water tight that olive really is with the expansion slits in it??

Exactly right mate, no way thats going to be water tight eh, i got rid of the factory spring clamp, and used some large rubber hose and hose clamps to join that area.

anthonyandbriana
24th May 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks, I was wondering the same thing

GRY60
23rd July 2014, 07:22 AM
do you tlk of an geuine snorkrl or a custom one

amirislami
7th September 2014, 01:43 AM
hy guys
any offer ?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?29812-nissan-y61-2003-no-option-go-to-full-option

Clunk
7th September 2014, 01:46 AM
hy guys
any offer ?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?29812-nissan-y61-2003-no-option-go-to-full-option

For what???