PDA

View Full Version : Tent guide

NP99
10th May 2013, 01:14 PM
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/tent-guide/Default.aspx

Might help you decide if you are about to make a purchase.

macca
10th May 2013, 01:55 PM
A lot of variable.

A rapid set up is a godsend if moving every day and also being fairly fast to erect comes in handy if its raining.

The size is criticle to your needs BUT also have a look at the packed size after YOU have packed it away, the factories use machine to pack them in some of those bags I am sure.
A tent is harder to pack tight when its cold, so the bag has to be roomy for all the gear.

We have a Black Wolf Turbo 240, great for two and reasonably easy to handle. We would buy the same again, but have a roof topper now and that is another thing again.

NP99
10th May 2013, 06:45 PM
@ Macca....Just like trying to get a sleeping bag back in its bag!

:)

04OFF
10th May 2013, 07:30 PM
A friendly word of warning, with regard to the Coleman rapid pitch/instant tent varieties, now these are really brilliant tents, but, you can NOT get any spare parts, so once out of warranty, you break a small part, you have to buy a whole new tent !

Im not sure how it is even legal to sell suff like this in AU, and have zero parts available ?

So before you buy a tent from anywhere, please get a price on a tent part that looks breakable, i say get a price, because the sales dude will most likley not realise if you "cant" get parts, and will assume, just like the general puplic, that of course you can get parts !

NP99
10th May 2013, 07:45 PM
A friendly word of warning, with regard to the Coleman rapid pitch/instant tent varieties, now these are really brilliant tents, but, you can NOT get any spare parts, so once out of warranty, you break a small part, you have to buy a whole new tent !

Im not sure how it is even legal to sell suff like this in AU, and have zero parts available ?

So before you buy a tent from anywhere, please get a price on a tent part that looks breakable, i say get a price, because the sales dude will most likley not realise if you "cant" get parts, and will assume, just like the general puplic, that of course you can get parts !

Note dot point 7
http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/guarantees-warranties-refunds.htm

Try defining:

will have spare parts and repairs available for a reasonable amount of time after you buy them

04OFF
10th May 2013, 08:34 PM
Yes, but, how long is "a reasonable amount of time" ?

Look, in all honesty, i got my tent second hand (but unused) so i dont have a leg to stand on with regard to any shop, but the tents the stores are selling now, have the exact same parts, and i was amazed to find out (as was the sales guy at rays) that NO purchasable spares are obtainable for the coleman instant tents they sell.

Now if they break while under warranty, coleman AU will fix it no problem, but whoever is the AU supplier is (or whoever the sales guy rang) apperently, is just pulling bits off a complete tent to forefill warranty claims, not fitting actual spares as parts.

So the bottom line for consumers, is that once out of warrany (usually 12 months) ,you break one little plastic part, and then your $500 tent is now useless, hardly seems logical ?

The thing is, i think the Coleman instant tent is just brilliant, and i really love it, and don't want another tent, but the fact is i cant use mine because of a $2.00 bit of plastic, so now i would never suggest "anyone" buy a Coleman tent :frown:

Feel free to go into a store that sells the Coleman Instant up tents, ask how long the warranty is on a tent, then ask for a price on a knuckle that is joins the roof pole to the main centre top hub (this is the part i broke)

P4trol
11th May 2013, 01:08 PM
There's a niche in the market for you. Metal knuckle replacement parts. It starts when you make one for yourself, and snowballs when you find others have the same problem.

I've made a slightly different work around for a product with a Z and a 11 in the name.

04OFF
11th May 2013, 01:17 PM
There's a niche in the market for you. Metal knuckle replacement parts. It starts when you make one for yourself, and snowballs when you find others have the same problem.

I've made a slightly different work around for a product with a Z and a 11 in the name.

Its OK, in light of the other threads going around , i think you will be pretty safe over here saying "Tigerz", are you in a position to explain your work around ? or at least tell us the product/item it works with ?

threedogs
11th May 2013, 01:25 PM
As I just posted on Billy tent thread , my mate just brought a 4 peg one pole Pyramid tent, dont know where it was made.
I checked all stitching and Zips YKK the best and for $199 I could not fault it, Is it money for value, hell yeah .
.Treated well can see it lasting 10 yrs plus, Would I buy one again hell yeah ,nothing worse than getting in and out of your
strides laying down, plus plenty of ventilation

Matt195583
11th May 2013, 01:38 PM
I personally have given up on dome tents. I use a 11"x11" canvas wall tent it can be set up by 2 people in 15 minutes has full standing head room. Cost about $1000 but occasionally you will get them I special a few hundred cheaper.

http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/11x11-tunnel-tent

Last trip I went on a mater had a black wolf turbo something . About 3mx3m and I had my canvas tent up before he had the flash turbo tent up :)

threedogs
11th May 2013, 01:42 PM
@ Matt195583 Thats a tent, throw down a ground sheet and away you go, reminds me camping with dad years ago
in the old green/white Auto tent of years gone by.

oncedisturbed
11th May 2013, 01:59 PM
Tomahawk tents were based off the Army 11 x 11 and 14 x 14 service tents - they have been out for awhile now but they still have't updated their website - http://aussieoutlaw.com.au/

They are pretty good but very bulky again and pretty pricey, as myself and 3D and a few other's have mentioned before the canvas touring tents are good value for money and will last yonks (like most things will) if looked after.

At the end of the day, it is up to you on the style etc you choose as to what you really need (vs like) in a tent. I have probably 7 or 8 tents at home and only use 3 of them, the canvas touring tent when with the family, a 2 man hike tent for just me and a 4 man dome when the need arises due to packing size.

threedogs
11th May 2013, 02:56 PM
Last count I had 10 tents thats where I drew the line. 2 man Geo were too small 4 man geo too big.
I was getting tents dirt cheap BTW. Have 4 swags , one I'll never use thats a king single dome, but mattress is perfect fit in my camper.
swags are just way too bulky to take anywhere, Ever tried getting in one in the wet {dome} all your shite is muddy ,wet, and thats if you dont go A over T getting in. lol

oncedisturbed
11th May 2013, 04:06 PM
lolol, nope but I did wet trying to get out of one when I realised I was getting wet and all the gear was left out from the kids. Running around the campsite at 2 in the morning in my boxers made for an interesting sight, I think I even scarred the drop bears lol

Matt195583
11th May 2013, 05:20 PM
Three dogs I don't bother with a ground sheet, just have the combustion heater in one corner and sleep on a fold out stretcher. It can pour with rain for days and all my stuff stays warm and dry.
The glory of the tunnel tents is that they are super simple, all the poles are identicle and the angle joiners are all the same as well. The only downside is they are a little bit bulky but having seen my mates black wolf turbo tent I would say no bulkier than that and a hell of a lot simpler.

It does all come down to what you want out of a tent I personally don't want a floor or zip up doors or some crazy over complicated folding ratcheting extendable combination of plastic and aluminium that breaks and renders my tent useless.

NP99
11th May 2013, 05:42 PM
Tomahawk tents were based off the Army 11 x 11 and 14 x 14 service tents - they have been out for awhile now but they still have't updated their website - http://aussieoutlaw.com.au/

They are pretty good but very bulky again and pretty pricey, as myself and 3D and a few other's have mentioned before the canvas touring tents are good value for money and will last yonks (like most things will) if looked after.

At the end of the day, it is up to you on the style etc you choose as to what you really need (vs like) in a tent. I have probably 7 or 8 tents at home and only use 3 of them, the canvas touring tent when with the family, a 2 man hike tent for just me and a 4 man dome when the need arises due to packing size.

Those 11x11 used to go to auction on a regular basis. The canvas was pretty good, but as you may remember the stuff we got from camp earmark was pretty average :)

oncedisturbed
11th May 2013, 06:11 PM
this true lol

dubizzle@bresson.org
5th June 2013, 12:53 AM
I got an Eezi Awn safari tent, they come from South Africa and it is surprisingly good quality. All parts are well designed and robust. I do not know if they are popular in Australia, but are definitely worth.
Cheers