PDA

View Full Version : Sub Tank

westham
21st December 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Everyone.
The question is how does the sub-tank work. I've got a trooper with duel tanks and when you switch over
you use Derv from the reserve tank. today i had to use the sub-tank on the patrol and it seemed like it was dribbling fuel into the main tank is this right, also i've noticed that the sub-tank does drop during the week even if it is not switched on ?. Over to you Guys.

DX grunt
21st December 2010, 10:56 PM
Hi Everyone.
The question is how does the sub-tank work. I've got a trooper with duel tanks and when you switch over
you use Derv from the reserve tank. today i had to use the sub-tank on the patrol and it seemed like it was dribbling fuel into the main tank is this right, also i've noticed that the sub-tank does drop during the week even if it is not switched on ?. Over to you Guys.

Correct me somebody if I'm wrong....... Mine does too. Mine takes forever to go from the sub to the main. The reason that the sub tank goes down during the week is that about 2lts automatically gets pumped from the sub to the mains, every time you start your truck up.

Ross
DX grunt

YNOT
21st December 2010, 11:06 PM
Correct me somebody if I'm wrong....... Mine does too. Mine takes forever to go from the sub to the main. The reason that the sub tank goes down during the week is that about 2lts automatically gets pumped from the sub to the mains, every time you start your truck up.

Ross
DX grunt

Spot on Ross, that's exactly how it works.

Tony

my third 256
22nd December 2010, 03:01 AM
just a correction its only about 100 mls pumped over to the main tank thats what it said in the manual
if it was 2lt every time you started by the end of the week there would be nothing in the tank

DX grunt
22nd December 2010, 04:34 PM
This question intigued me to the point of getting off my butt and reading the Owner's Manual, which states:

'Each time the engine is started, fuel is automatically transferred from the sub tank to the main tank for a few seconds.

Sometimes fuel cannot be transferred when the main tank is close to full or the sub tank is close to empty.

Fuel transfer may stop when driving on rough roads, turning, or climbing a slope during transfer as the fuel level fluctuation is large. In this case, push the switch on again'.

No reference to measurement is given in my Owner's Manual, except 'for a few seconds'.

My truck's a 05 DX ute.

Regards

Ross
DX grunt

YNOT
22nd December 2010, 04:37 PM
If it only transfers for a few seconds then "my third" would be right, about 100mls.

Tony

my third 256
23rd December 2010, 05:44 AM
the only reason i say 100 ml was that i was talking to the chief mechanic at nissans about the sub tank being slow to discharge and the reason given was the fuel would foam under high pressure so it is pumped at a low pressure / when patrol is turned on it does a full diagnostic check and the pump is activated for a few seconds thus the 100mls
hope this helps abit more
stephen
see you all in 2012 at the gathering