PDA

View Full Version : Windscreens

mike
21st December 2010, 09:14 PM
Hey All just got a quote from protector autoglass for a gq wind screen .Supply only $120 Fitted $200 aparently aussie made hopefully pick up tomorrow,seems cheap niss want $550 or so ex japan .,Report when picked up

Cheers Mike

Woof
21st December 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that Mike, wow that is cheap mate well done there.

AB
21st December 2010, 09:45 PM
Just to steal this thread as well....I recently got Windscreens Obrien out to fix two chips on the windscreen with the "amazing glue" technology.

One chip only went down 50% and the other was almost exactly the same as before.

This was an old 4wd i own to take to Vicroads to get re registered and this will not pass at all...Massive waist of money and it cost $120...lol

Yep, cheers for the rant and :hijacked:

mike
21st December 2010, 09:52 PM
Spose to be aussi made,No rubbers WOB 2+ niss price for rear side window.

''Protector Glass Industries Pty Ltd is a privately owned Australian manufacturing company offering over 4000 windscreen and specialty glass products fabricated in a short run, flexible plant located in Beenleigh, South East Queensland''

From their website.They have a list to download
for w/s other glass need to contact them.At the price ill give it a go
Cheers mike

mike
21st December 2010, 10:08 PM
Yep,surprised the s**t outa me not much aussie made any more only cheap/rubbish chink s**t,always try to buy aussie.

Cheers Mike

MQ MAD
22nd December 2010, 01:49 PM
$200 is a good price for fitted screen
Got GQ done a while ago thru insurance and the price was the $200 ish
No new rubber of course

missingdna
27th December 2010, 11:19 PM
check the corners of the windscreen rubbers. You will see the factory joins where the rubbers are joined in the corners. If they are split or gaps the you will need a new rubber.
common for the rubbers to perish on the rear barn door glasses too.

on the gq that is not the gu...

Finly Owner
27th December 2010, 11:42 PM
Protector glass has been going in Sydney for aprox 30 years now, maybe more. And in Brissie for about 25 years at least. They have a very high standard and export windscreens as well. They use Pilkington Float Glass to manufacture their screens and have a quality assurance program with the Australian and NZ standards committees. There fitter will advise you whether he needs to use a new rubber or not.

I have worked in the Brissie factory when I was young. It is based in Beenleigh. Many Windsceeen mobs use their screens. Have a look at any of the Australian manufactured cars and you may find it has "Protector Windscreens" fitted as they were supplying to Australian production lines at one time, as were "Perfect Windscreens" when they were operating.

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:17 AM
do it yourself kits are available for small chips and bullseyes. I have bought a couple for myself and rellos at the Brisbane Tinny and Tackle show, but have yet to use them.

Apparently it is important to keep water out of the chip/crack until the repair, some companies provide a clear sticker for the purpose