PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug light staying on.

NUGGET
21st December 2010, 05:41 PM
Hi all 2.8lt diesel, when heating the glow plugs the light stays steady for app 20 seconds then flashes until the motor warms up. I have taken it to a Auto elec where he checked all relays and glow plugs , the only thing i noticed and he said was when he checked the glow plugs he checked them as one bank not two . I also sent it to Nissans but before they put it in the workshop the service manager told me I need a full set of plugs & relays & a few bits that only Nissans could supply , well as I was driving home still laughing at the man in his dust coat i popped back to see the Auto elec bloke , he assured me that i was safe to drive as it only happens on cold starts mainly mornings, anyway that`s enough dribble just wondering if anybody else has or heard of the same thing ,

Regards Rob.

YNOT
21st December 2010, 06:44 PM
The first thing I can suggest is to put about 20 more posts on here, post up some photos, comment on members cars, photos etc. Get to 25 posts and you get access to service manuals. The quick-glow system section starts on page 323.

Glow plugs need to be tested individually, remove to rail that runs across the top of the glow plugs and use a multimeter to check their resistance between the cylinder head and where the rail attaches.
There are several other tests to do, but to much to put here. Download the manual for more info.

Your service managers approach would probably fix the problem, how could it fail when you replace every part of the system!!! What an attitude to have, and to suggest that only Nissan can supply the parts, what a joke.

Tony

NUGGET
22nd December 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Tony that`s what i was thinking about the service bloke, id love to have the money to replace all major parts , but i will only replace those that are needed or the ones that are on there way out.

Thanks again for your reply Rob.