PDA

View Full Version : Safety bow shackle

NP99
5th May 2013, 08:44 AM
Has anybody used these? The nut and pin would be a pain I think.

http://www.tiedownsdirect.com.au/products/Safety-Shackle--4.7T.html

threedogs
5th May 2013, 08:47 AM
@ NP99 more suited to lifting steel crates where a permanent rated shackle is required.
Not for off road would work but more suited to lifting

healy
5th May 2013, 09:33 AM
That's cheap but I'd stick with the thread type

NP99
5th May 2013, 10:06 AM
Even the thread type are cheap on their site.

First Patrol
6th October 2013, 05:32 PM
Nothing wrong with those shackles mate they exactly the same as the other ones in fact I prefer them there is no possible way the pin can come out unlike your traditional shackle. I suggest stay clear of that one though look cheap and nasty buy one with a swl as a pose to a wll in my opinion

TPC
7th November 2013, 06:19 PM
Also trying never overload circuits or extension cords.Do not place cords and wires under rugs,over nails or in high traffic areas.Its shut off and unplug appliances which sputter,spark or emit an unusual smell.Also trying have them professionally repaired or replaced.

That is a bit off topic.

liftlid
7th November 2013, 06:24 PM
Bit of a pain with gloves on.

BigRAWesty
7th November 2013, 06:52 PM
Love the nut and bolt style. They don't tighten themselves. Sure a little more work involved in fitting, but a real little bit.. Lol
I change out the split pin with an R pin of ring pin..

NissanGQ4.2
7th November 2013, 07:01 PM
That is a bit off topic.

He must be posting using MC on another forum *LMAO*

Clunk
7th November 2013, 09:26 PM
He must be posting using MC on another forum *LMAO*

Such a wonderful app!!!! Hahahaha

the ferret
7th November 2013, 10:07 PM
I can't help thinking that they resemble the"" towball safe"" shackle that we all agreed was a total danger and should never be used in a snatch situation.
As this particular shackle looks like it would fit over the tow ball, there are bound to be those that would use it that way, so I would not promote that shackle for use with regard to recoveries.
I'm sure it would be fine for it's intended use, that being a lifting situation.
If you are thinking of purchasing a shackle for recovery, I would suggest only the rated "D shackle" rather than the "Bow Shackle"
Shackles on towballs can cause the death of a person in a split second, bandages are of no use.

NEVER ATTACH ANY SHACKLE TO A TOWBALL.
Cheers, the ferret.

megatexture
7th November 2013, 10:16 PM
I can just imagine loosing the nut in the mud also

mudnut
7th November 2013, 10:30 PM
I can just imagine loosing the nut in the mud also

I resemble that remark.

kind
7th November 2013, 11:09 PM
There not bad I used one for awhile but as people have mentioned up sides they dont tighten themselves but yeah if you use gloves its really hard take off.

Drewboyaus
7th November 2013, 11:18 PM
Also trying never overload circuits or extension cords.Do not place cords and wires under rugs,over nails or in high traffic areas.Its shut off and unplug appliances which sputter,spark or emit an unusual smell.Also trying have them professionally repaired or replaced.

Wow.....that's totally random....

BigRAWesty
7th November 2013, 11:58 PM
I can't help thinking that they resemble the"" towball safe"" shackle that we all agreed was a total danger and should never be used in a snatch situation.
As this particular shackle looks like it would fit over the tow ball, there are bound to be those that would use it that way, so I would not promote that shackle for use with regard to recoveries.
I'm sure it would be fine for it's intended use, that being a lifting situation.
If you are thinking of purchasing a shackle for recovery, I would suggest only the rated "D shackle" rather than the "Bow Shackle"
Shackles on towballs can cause the death of a person in a split second, bandages are of no use.

NEVER ATTACH ANY SHACKLE TO A TOWBALL.
Cheers, the ferret.

Get a big enough d shackle and itll fit over the ball to. This is a matter of education, not the shape.

The bow shackle is a better option due to its bow.
The bow allows full rated usage of the shackle at any angle of the bow, without harm of damage.
A d shackle is only good for straight line pulls. We always try for straight line, but how often do we get it??

TheFlyingBadger
8th November 2013, 01:12 AM
they would be good for shackles that you leave permanently attached.

For instance..

I have a shackle on my factory bar for the winch hook to hook onto (for storage). I could fix them to the front recovery points (because they are a PITA to get to), then attach normal shackles to them when i need to use them

threedogs
8th November 2013, 10:24 AM
That shackle is not for 4x4 recovery, its for lifting so an industry style shackle,
Yes it will work if stamped with swl, but easier to use normal type shackle.
That shackle is more suited to permanent placement as in on ,as I said a steel crate
I for one would not use these for recovery but if its all you have sure as long as its rated

First Patrol
8th November 2013, 12:27 PM
That shackle is not for 4x4 recovery, its for lifting so an industry style shackle,
Yes it will work if stamped with swl, but easier to use normal type shackle.
That shackle is more suited to permanent placement as in on ,as I said a steel crate
I for one would not use these for recovery but if its ail you have sure as long as its rated

When you say normal type shackle do you mean bow type still or a dee type shackle??
A bow shackle normal type and pin and nut type have no difference in ratings.

A dee type shackle will be less rated in the same size.
Pin and bolt ones may be more fiddley to work with but it's what ever floats your boat
To say it's not for 4x4 recovery would be a big call (maybe that one) if it has a SWL rating I think it's been tested 4:1??? Always inspect your gear and remember they all can twist open up etc

Not trying to argue TD you know your shit just voicing another opinion lol

Cheers

threedogs
8th November 2013, 03:26 PM
Alls good but you never see them for sale in 4x4 shops,
sure you can use them but I prefer what 99.9% of most 4x4ers use
Seems the KIS system works best.

Interested how many members have one in their recovery kit,
unless you're getting them for free I would think not many

taslucas
8th November 2013, 03:44 PM
Alls good but you never see them for sale in 4x4 shops,
sure you can use them but I prefer what 99.9% of most 4x4ers use
Seems the KIS system works best.

Interested how many members have one in their recovery kit,
unless you're getting them for free I would think not many

There are a couple of 4x4 brands that have the bow shaped shackles in my local supercheap. One brand is ridgerider and I can't think of the other...

threedogs
8th November 2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah but does it have the nut and split pin ,
heaps of different brands of shackles not diputing that

taslucas
8th November 2013, 04:31 PM
Was just replying in regards to the bow shape vs the D shape. I don't think the pin is the issue that has been discussed

Steve4wdin
8th November 2013, 04:32 PM
I have seen H3 Hummers and some Jeeps getting around with that type of shackle attached. My opinion is if its rated its fine. I like the idea if its staying on the recovery point, stop those sticky fingered thieves.
Steve

Winnie
8th November 2013, 04:40 PM
I don't think the pin is the issue that has been discussed

Come on mate read the whole thread please.

taslucas
8th November 2013, 04:59 PM
Come on mate read the whole thread please.

Get stuffed Winnie! 80% is about the shape and use of the shackle

liftlid
8th November 2013, 05:33 PM
D- type shackles don't fit both ends of a strap very well, bow are the way to go, You should not store a shackle on the cars recovery point as its supposed to wear quicker and you also won't know if its hit anything hanging there that could have weakened the shackle, The pictured shackle has 4 parts so are more awkward to use and easy to loose things like the pin in the bush. What we use now is simple, quick to use and works well why change to something worse?