PDA

View Full Version : Longest shocks possible with a 2" lift ?

mtbrider4life
4th May 2013, 01:14 PM
Gday guys, Ive got a mate with a GU coil cab, hes got a 2" lift with 6" shocks which makes it prety dam awesome offroad. Just wondering if anyone knows what the longest shocks are you can fit on a GU with a 2" lift ?

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 01:30 PM
Tell him to unbolt the bottom mount of the shock and remove and then compress the shock to full closure? This will tell him how much up travel he has. Likely not very much! Probably bouncing off the closed shock already.

Be aware that he has achieve allot of down travel and reduced his up travel. His springs will have a tendancy to drop out and fall on the ground without retainers unless his is a leaf spring model.

BigRAWesty
4th May 2013, 01:40 PM
I'd say that's way to long already..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Ben-e-boy
4th May 2013, 01:57 PM
Tell him to unbolt the bottom mount of the shock and remove and then compress the shock to full closure? This will tell him how much up travel he has. Likely not very much! Probably bouncing off the closed shock already.

Be aware that he has achieve allot of down travel and reduced his up travel. His springs will have a tendancy to drop out and fall on the ground without retainers unless his is a leaf spring model.

not only that he is probable maxing out the lower control arms and at full droop the rear wheel are trying to drive underneith the vehicle. lifting the vehicle and bouncing around.

Mtbrider4life
I have a mate who has a GQ wagon with a 2 inch lift and 12 in coilovers. To fit them he has cut a whole in the floor and made a whole new shock tower, which is nearly level with the back seat. The sky is the limit aslong as long as it done right.
If you are going to keep the original shock mounts you need to put it on a flex ramp or a forklift and flex it up. You need the compressed and extended lenghts of the shocks you want. try for 1/3rd up travel and 2/3rd down travel measure it against the distance between your shock mounts up and down travel.
If you have too much droop on the standard length rear lower control arms, the arms will be at such an angle that when you apply power to that wheel it will try to drive under the vehicle. From this there is alot of pressure put on the chassis mount and it will actuall lift the vehicle. This will be more noticable when doing hill climbs. It will want to flip over backwards in some situations. In other situations it will just pig root because you are struggling to find traction

mtbrider4life
6th May 2013, 07:17 PM
Ive personally driven my mates patrol, its got 35" mud tyres and driving it along its almost as smooth as a babys bum, both on the tarmac and the dirt

Ben-e-boy
6th May 2013, 07:45 PM
Ive personally driven my mates patrol, its got 35" mud tyres and driving it along its almost as smooth as a babys bum, both on the tarmac and the dirt
what does that have to do with shock lengths?

mtbrider4life
6th May 2013, 08:10 PM
MudRunner said it reduces your up travel, but i didnt notice any difference in the ride quality

nissannewby
6th May 2013, 08:15 PM
And it does. But running big Tyres and heavy springs you not gonna get a harsh ride anyway. Go and jump it and see what happens when you use the shocks as bump stops.

Ben-e-boy
6th May 2013, 08:45 PM
read my post mate. I didnt mention ride quality at all. :)

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2013, 10:37 PM
MudRunner said it reduces your up travel, but i didnt notice any difference in the ride quality

Take it for a drive and hit a few decent bumps and you will feel the shocks bottom out. It will be subtle but catastrophic to your shocks! I know this because I have done it, felt it, replaced it a couple of times.

As Newby said shocks make terrible Bump Stops! Consider this - if you have to extend your rear bump stops by 125mm to save your shocks and only have 145mm gap between you rear diff housing and you bump stop mount that means your bouncing off your shock or bump stop in 20mm of down travel! Not that good really.... But at least you have 6" lift shocks! Must be good. Not so much

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2013, 10:38 PM
And it does. But running big Tyres and heavy springs you not gonna get a harsh ride anyway. Go and jump it and see what happens when you use the shocks as bump stops.

You'll only do it once! Lol

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 01:05 AM
So whats the longest shocks that you can use with a 2" lift ???

nissannewby
7th May 2013, 02:31 AM
Take your measurements at full bump and full droop and go from there if you want more than coil drop outs, bump mods will most likely be required.

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 09:25 AM
So in a nut shell you buy springs first take your measurements then buy shocks??

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 11:46 AM
I have 5' snake racing coils and 14' travel pro comp shocks. I suppose up travel doesnt bother me because of the lift but with a 2' you would notice. You can always lower you rear shock mount for more up travel but then again thats less lower. I have drop out cones and retainers and i still need to weld an extension on the cone to stop the spring coming out. If i was you i would just grab 4 inch shock and figure it out. Extend your bumpstops so they hit before the shock bottoms out too

mtbrider4life
7th May 2013, 04:55 PM
what do you guys rekon about putting 4" shocks in with 2" springs then ?

Brendan56
7th May 2013, 06:24 PM
I know the 3 inch flexi coils can be safely matched with 6 inch shocks.

Tappin trolls
Brendan