PDA

View Full Version : Victoria "Meetup in the Middle 2014" trip planner

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 08:44 PM
G'day guys,

Well looks like this is going to be a trip worth doing! If you have not got your name down or voted for "working towards it" then show your hands here and let's getting together.

I am going with my wife Naomi, 8yo son Zachary and 3yo daughter Amelia.

We are travelling in our GUIV and will be using an Oztent RV4

Depending on my leave entitlement then I am possibly going to travel to Birdsville and Meetup with the QLD guys and cross the Simpson East West to meet everyone in Dalhousie to then travel back over the desert to Birdsville.

There are a couple of other options for a trip up from the South East though and am interested in who in Vic is going and what are the plans.

Can't wait!

Roll up roll up

Winnie
3rd May 2013, 09:00 PM
Was waiting for someone to make this thread! Hahaah. Ill be there in the trusty GQ, swag trip for me.
I am in desperate need for a holiday like this so am planning to take a minimum of 3 weeks leave but would rather take 4 or 5. Will probably take a scenic route to get there, should take a week or so, then the same on the way home, there would be another week.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 09:09 PM
Hey Winnie there is a guy on MudRhino selling a complete 70lt sub tank setup for a GQ. Asking $350 but open to offers mate. I reckon $200 to $250 might get it for you

Winnie
3rd May 2013, 09:17 PM
I would prefer one big tank to having separate tanks?

BigRAWesty
3rd May 2013, 09:19 PM
Well I think I might as well jump in here.. not to many trekking from my side..

Would you guys be hitting boadertown or further up?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 09:35 PM
Hey Kallen,

Your welcome here mate. Not sure but probably further North. There is a great track to the South East going up through the Simpson which looks good or head north east and do the inside track to Birdsville then meet the Qld guys?

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 09:39 PM
I would prefer one big tank to having separate tanks?

Separate tanks is a way way better option mate. Centralises the weight better and brings 85 kgs forward. Also protects you from a leak of the main tank. If you can get a 147lt rear that would be awesome too but the 70under the middle is a winner. IMO.

All good though mate. Only saw the add and thought of you.

BigRAWesty
3rd May 2013, 09:52 PM
Hey Kallen,

Your welcome here mate. Not sure but probably further North. There is a great track to the South East going up through the Simpson which looks good or head north east and do the inside track to Birdsville then meet the Qld guys?

Sounds good MR. I'm open to any ideas. It'll be the biggest trip by far for us.. byyyyy around 3 weeks.. :p
Got a good list to get done..
Once steering is sorted, rust.. been quoted $500, but my give it a crack myself.. remove old tint and if time put new stuff on..
140L main and if have time a 80-90L sub setup.. if I don't get sub done ill be strapping on 2x25L jerreys..
Then a new set of rubber would be awesome.. but again, if time and $$$'s allow..

We have draws, fridge, tent, roof rack and awning, basic recovery gear, good uhf, lift, it will be mechanically sound and hopefully rust free...
Radiator will be flushed, hoses changed and filled
Also hopefully a snorkle.. :rolleyes:
Will have 40-50L of water, there is 4 of us so that may increase..

Spares off the top of my head that I have
radiator hoses
A sweet v belt witch can be made to any length..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/16.jpg
Can organise some leads for a battery welder and rods..
Will throw in a tyre tube as a 2nd spare and a good puncher kit.
Compressor.

Its going to be tough as were also planning to hit the road to.. so we'll how we go..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

AB
3rd May 2013, 09:57 PM
If I can get my stuff sorted Dazz I'm keen for this.

AB
3rd May 2013, 09:58 PM
Will be myself Leah, Mia and a bun in the oven or a newborn...lol

BigRAWesty
3rd May 2013, 10:04 PM
Ab I think you can just rock up mate and everyone will carry you.. we'd probably drive it for you..:D

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Winnie
4th May 2013, 08:46 AM
Separate tanks is a way way better option mate. Centralises the weight better and brings 85 kgs forward. Also protects you from a leak of the main tank. If you can get a 147lt rear that would be awesome too but the 70under the middle is a winner. IMO.

All good though mate. Only saw the add and thought of you.

I don't even know why I want one large tank really, hahahahah. Probably just because it's easier.

healy
4th May 2013, 08:58 AM
Will be myself Leah, Mia and a bun in the oven or a newborn...lol

Get to the work bench then

Sir Roofy
4th May 2013, 09:04 AM
Were giving this our best shot at this stage its looking good

healy
4th May 2013, 09:12 AM
We are up for it just gotta get some small things sorted on the rig still plenty of time. Can't wait for this will be by far the biggest trip for us and will be some great places to see I get more excited every time I read this subject

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 09:23 AM
We are up for it just gotta get some small things sorted on the rig still plenty of time. Can't wait for this will be by far the biggest trip for us and will be some great places to see I get more excited every time I read this subject

Hey Healy did you see that tent that Cuppa had advertised mate? Looked the good mate.

healy
4th May 2013, 10:07 AM
Hey Healy did you see that tent that Cuppa had advertised mate? Looked the good mate.

Yeah I did mate were gonna get 2x 30 second tents as I want one for me when I'm out and about and the other ill palm off to a mate when the trip is done but I've also got the trailer and dirt bikes up for sale so might even get a good offroad camper by that time decisions decisions

Winnie
4th May 2013, 10:27 AM
Which line are we taking, and how far will be the longest between fuel stops?

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 10:49 AM
Which line are we taking, and how far will be the longest between fuel stops?

Not set in stone yet Winnie but I am looking at maybe doing a double crossing with fuel at each end. I used 210lts in my Madigan crossing but would expect way less than that.

Getting closer will start to put some of this info not a new thread with a new poll

BigRAWesty
4th May 2013, 01:02 PM
Not set in stone yet Winnie but I am looking at maybe doing a double crossing with fuel at each end. I used 210lts in my Madigan crossing but would expect way less than that.

Getting closer will start to put some of this info not a new thread with a new poll

I think we need a trip sub forum... Then all different thread under it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Drewboyaus
4th May 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure yet what the makeup of my crew will be. I haven't decided yet if I'll bring all 3 kids as that's going to be a lot of stuff to bring or even if its a solo trip but I'm planning on being there.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 10:12 AM
Bump for me

Sir Roofy
22nd March 2014, 04:22 PM
Whats going on mate no one wants to talk to you

at this stage its jane myself
katwoman in katrol 2
steve in his something and there
daughter emily 12
3 cars
going from traf to mildura then marree up the oodnadatta
leaving sat 21 or sunday 22
no real plans at this stage but any ones welcome to tag along

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 06:20 PM
Whats going on mate no one wants to talk to you

at this stage its jane myself
katwoman in katrol 2
steve in his something and there
daughter emily 12
3 cars
going from traf to mildura then marree up the oodnadatta
leaving sat 21 or sunday 22
no real plans at this stage but any ones welcome to tag along

Hey Roofy, lol, nah I was working through the lists today and needed to bump this so I could find it again.

I have done a big post in the main thread about my plan and maybe tonight will repost and possibly start another thread without any chatter specifically as a Reference thread and will close it and add stuff as its posted around the place. Just a goto thread for reference of useful stuff leading in.

Links to the desert pass you provided, dates and times. Fuel prices, off site Simpson stuff etc.

Sir Roofy
22nd March 2014, 06:33 PM
Hey Roofy, lol, nah I was working through the lists today and needed to bump this so I could find it again.

I have done a big post in the main thread about my plan and maybe tonight will repost and possibly start another thread without any chatter specifically as a Reference thread and will close it and add stuff as its posted around the place. Just a goto thread for reference of useful stuff leading in.

Links to the desert pass you provided, dates and times. Fuel prices, off site Simpson stuff etc.

havnt seen this come up yet www.mtdare.com.au/index.php?...

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 08:14 PM
havnt seen this come up yet www.mtdare.com.au/index.php?...

Your a helpful bugger arn't ya ;). Thanks mate

Sir Roofy
22nd March 2014, 09:44 PM
www.pir.sa.gov.au/biosecurity sa/plant

check right hand side of flyer on random road blockes

NO FRUIT

NO VEG

NO FINE

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 09:49 PM
Yes we will go through a road block at Renmark from memory. Don't buy any fruit or vegis before hand unless your going to cook before you leave.

AB
23rd March 2014, 08:53 AM
www.pir.sa.gov.au/biosecurity (http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/biosecurity) sa/plant

check right hand side of flyer on random road blockes

NO FRUIT

NO VEG

NO FINE

Yep, I learnt my lesson last time...lol

Maxhead
23rd March 2014, 09:03 AM
Yep, I learnt my lesson last time...lol

Haha, I remember that ...Lost the bloody lot.

Frozen stuff is fine BTW.

Sir Roofy
24th March 2014, 11:37 AM
YES I KNOW WE ALL TAKE PRECAUTIONS BUT JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER TO TAKE A MOSSIE NET OR BUSHMANS AND
AEROGUARD OR YOUR PREFERRENCE CHECK THE SCREENS ON YOUR TENTS AND SWAGS

THERE ARE A LOT OF MOSSIE,S ABOUT THIS YEAR WITH RECENT RAINS IN THE OUTBACK :smiley_thumbs_up:

Sir Roofy
24th March 2014, 09:20 PM
YES I KNOW WE ALL TAKE PRECAUTIONS BUT JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER TO TAKE A MOSSIE NET OR BUSHMANS AND
AEROGUARD OR YOUR PREFERRENCE CHECK THE SCREENS ON YOUR TENTS AND SWAGS

THERE ARE A LOT OF MOSSIE,S ABOUT THIS YEAR WITH RECENT RAINS IN THE OUTBACK :smiley_thumbs_up:

bump this up

Sir Roofy
27th March 2014, 04:08 PM
Sand flag hieghts new www.enviroment.sa.gov.au/parks/find_i

BEEN LOOKING AROUND AT POLES BOY HAVE THE GONE UP IN PRICE SINCE THE
NEW REGULATIONS HAVE COME HAD A LOOK AT A FEW SITES ON THE PUTER
AND MOST COME IN @ $99

would some fix this link up please thanks

threedogs
27th March 2014, 04:15 PM
@ Roofy you can borrow mine it will give you 3mtr above your roof line.
I'll put it in next fishing trip if you want to use it. will be fitting a proper flag by then

Sir Roofy
27th March 2014, 04:25 PM
@ roofy you can borrow mine it will give you 3mtr above your roof line.
I'll put it in next fishing trip if you want to use it. Will be fitting a proper flag by then

thanks john but ive got one
was looking at things for info
for those that might need it

TPC
27th March 2014, 04:26 PM
Sand flag hieghts new www.enviroment.sa.gov.au/parks/find_i (http://www.enviroment.sa.gov.au/parks/find_i)

BEEN LOOKING AROUND AT POLES BOY HAVE THE GONE UP IN PRICE SINCE THE
NEW REGULATIONS HAVE COME HAD A LOOK AT A FEW SITES ON THE PUTER
AND MOST COME IN @ $99

would some fix this link up please thanks

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Home/Media_Centre/News_Events_Listing/140313-safety-flags

Sir Roofy
27th March 2014, 04:29 PM
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/home/media_centre/news_events_listing/140313-safety-flags

thanks tony

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 08:47 PM
Let's get this sorted out... AB can you email me a good copy of the forum logo and I'll see about getting the flags made up. I think the best way will to be to get the flag made up and everybody can sort out their own pole.
How many are we after total?

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 09:01 PM
Let's get this sorted out... AB can you email me a good copy of the forum logo and I'll see about getting the flags made up. I think the best way will to be to get the flag made up and everybody can sort out their own pole.
How many are we after total?

If you do flags put me down for 2 thanks

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 09:04 PM
I might pop into the printers tomorrow and see what they can do an check for pricing.

AB
2nd April 2014, 09:08 PM
I might pop into the printers tomorrow and see what they can do an check for pricing.

Awesome thanks bud...will email you

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks Andy, just had a though, I'm gonna use some HD conduit for a pole. Got a massive supply of the stuff.
A length of 25HD conduit should cost between 5 and 10 bucks and they are 4m long, enough to do two poles

AB
2nd April 2014, 09:44 PM
Done!!!!! Thanks mate!

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 09:51 PM
Have not received it... the only email I have is from the US Ambassador to Nigeria who is coming to the country to give me a $15M dollar ATM card, but I have to pay $195 through Western Union to activate the card.... no shit that is an email I just received hahaah.

AB
21st May 2014, 06:34 PM
Ok

Are us Mexicans leaving sparrows on the Saturday of the 28th to be there on the 30th June?

Oops just realised Leah's birthday is on the 29th June...bugger...can't wait to break the news!!!

Winnie
21st May 2014, 06:52 PM
I thought we were leaving the Thursday or Friday from conversations between me and you? Doesn't bother me, I've got the whole week off to prepare and I'm happy to do big days driving. Wouldn't mind spending a bit of time at Dalhousie on the Saturday though.

AB
21st May 2014, 07:19 PM
I thought we were leaving the Thursday or Friday from conversations between me and you? Doesn't bother me, I've got the whole week off to prepare and I'm happy to do big days driving. Wouldn't mind spending a bit of time at Dalhousie on the Saturday though.

Yeah mate I have no idea on exact dates I just want to lock something in for work.

AB
21st May 2014, 08:18 PM

Leaving Friday morning would be good though.

Dalehousie arrival on the Sunday and full day Monday before everyone joins up on the Tuesday.

Winnie
21st May 2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah that was my thought.

AB
22nd May 2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah that was my thought.

Speaking with mr Winnie and looks like leaving Thursday would be better rather than slogging three hard days driving.

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2014, 07:58 PM
If we make good time then we score an extra day at daulhousie! Hot springs are awesome!! Relax! Relax! Relax!

Winnie
22nd May 2014, 08:12 PM
That would have been my choice too, I'm happy with that guys.
What are your plans for food on our travel up? Just stop at bakeries or whatever for lunch and pubs for tea?
Stay in caravan parks or find somewhere to camp each night? I'm easy but would be good to have a rough plan.

Cuppa
22nd May 2014, 09:28 PM
Geez I’m really looking forward to this trip .....& I’m not even going!

Unless................

Just a thought, I’m not ready to take on the Simpson in my own vehicle ....... insufficient experience & finances.
However if anyone is going solo & wants to consider a passenger to share fuel costs, I have my own swag & am willing to share cooking & driving etc.
Just a thought, MrsTea has given her permission.

Any offers of a ride by PM please. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Cheers
Cuppa

(Victoria)

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2014, 09:56 PM
Cuppa your car would do the Simpson in a Blink mate. Roll out and roll up mate. Your vehicle would make easy work of it.

Cuppa
22nd May 2014, 10:11 PM
Cuppa your car would do the Simpson in a Blink mate. Roll out and roll up mate. Your vehicle would make easy work of it.

Yeah I know it would, but I’m not ready to take it on, but would welcome the learning experience going with someone else. Taking my vehicle across the Simpson when I’ve never even driven on sand is too much ‘in at the deep end’ for me. Couldn’t afford it at the moment either. Might sound like lousy excuses, but that’s the way it is.

Winnie
23rd May 2014, 06:50 AM
Weak as cuppa! It's the perfect situation to do it, I've never driven on sand either but we will have a dozen patrols to help each other out and most of them are very experienced.

TPC
23rd May 2014, 08:58 AM
Surely one of you guys that are going solo would like a co-driver, much better to have a second person in the car on a trip like that.
Especially someone who is willing to be kitchen biatch.

Maxhead
23rd May 2014, 10:07 AM
Hey Poo, young bloke like yourself should jump at this opportunity of heaving an experienced traveller like Cuppa.
You'll learn a thing or two mate;)

AB
23rd May 2014, 10:14 AM
Cuppa mate you will love it, hope you can come and you gotta take your own car, you will learn heaps and only 1 hour in sand you'll know what to do with a solid experienced crew!

As rude as this sounds mate, I've planned this trip as a solo mission, I gotta have all my crap on the front passenger seat, I want to drink beer, smoke ciggys, listen to crazy rock and rap music and sing songs like a demon.

I'm sorry bud I know it sounds rude but please try your best to get your own rig in the simmo mate. It will kill you not driving yourself !!!

I'm putting this trip on the magic card mate as I can't afford it either but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity!!!

Winnie
23rd May 2014, 10:18 AM
Sorry Krisso, I'm the same as Andy and have planned as a solo trip.

threedogs
23rd May 2014, 10:55 AM
An excellent opportunity under the experience of Veteran desert travellers
Did a similar trip in 92 just brought a DPP and read as much as I could,
Sure I got bogged heaps of time but had all the right gear as to not rely on anyone else, had a ball
I'd be going my self if things were different. They tell me its only 1100 sand dunes so if you don't get the hang of it by
550 dunes turn around and head home.lol Plus you can test your setup in the real world as well.. As someone pointed out put a red dot on everything you pack.
when you get home see whats left if any with a red dot on it. with all the Patrols goings you would need to take bugger all.
Fridge, swag, blankets and food/fuel DPP

Winnie
23rd May 2014, 11:01 AM
John what's a dpp?

TPC
23rd May 2014, 11:09 AM
John what's a dpp?
Director of Public Prosecutions.
Obviously he is anticipating there will be trouble with you lot. lol

Cuppa
23rd May 2014, 11:14 AM
No need for justifications folks, if solo is your thing that’s fine by me & saying no isn’t rude. I’d probably say no if I were offered a ride squeezed in with a couple or a family!
I won’t be taking my car across the Simpson on this occasion, but my wife & I will at a future date. I thought it likely that most would have their preferred mode already planned out, but thought I’d ask anyway. I suggested PM’ing me if interested so that no-one need feel uncomfortable about saying “No”.

We are all different, & whilst I certainly appreciate the advantages of going with a group of experienced 4wd’ers, I just don’t feel ready to do so. Remember that it is not just sand I have no experience on, I also have virtually no 4wd experience, & this would potentially see me as an ‘anchor’ to the group as a whole. You wanna call that weak? Well I guess I can live with that. :)

How to get 4wd experience is another matter. Yeah I could get out into the bush for some of the forum meet ups, but when I look at the pics & read the descriptions I just think - that’d a be a fine way to damage my car! I don’t expect to maintain a ‘pristine’ vehicle, but intend to gather 4wd experience gradually as it becomes necessary, rather than going out looking for challenges to conquer. I agree that it would be likely that were I to ‘hitch a ride’ across the Simpson that afterwards I would think ‘Yep I can do that’, but I wouldn’t regret having ‘eased into it’ in that way. It would be a confidence booster & learning experience which would allow me to later take my wife to such places.

Finances also play a big part. We have minimal income at the moment, & whilst we do have some savings, the additional costs of taking my own vehicle (including dealing with/rectifying wear & tear sustained) are an unknown & not ‘approved’ by the Minister for War & Finances. Other things have to take priority. A ‘fixed sum’ as a passenger would be more manageable.

Anyway, I appreciate the invitations, but enough of the trying to persuade me to come along in my own car.

As I said previously, I am really looking forward to this trip, & will enjoy it, I’m sure, from my armchair.

Cheers
Cuppa

Sir Roofy
23rd May 2014, 11:55 AM
How to get 4x4 experience 1dont drive into bog holes unless theres no other way around
if you have to go in makesure your winch cable is long enough to reach an anchor
2go driving on back roads up hills fishing spots park tracks like we did at bearii
3look up a 4x4 driving course
4 just get out there and do it
mate you have driven around aus in a bus you can do it in your 4x4 if the track looks a bit dicky
engage the stubby stick its just common sence

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2014, 12:11 PM
Hey Cuppa, I would classify this trip as an Easy / Medium Adventure mate. I dont expect ANY Vehicle damage at all. maybe a tyre? We are travelling West to East (The easy way) East / West would be far more challenging. Dont get caught up in the legend mate, this will be a cruisey run across the desert, Pretty easy drive. Our biggest obstacle will be Traffic the other way.

TPC
23rd May 2014, 12:58 PM
I recon the biggest obstacle on the Simpson tracks in July is corrugations, they sell lots of shockers in Birdsville.

Stropp
23rd May 2014, 06:34 PM
cuppa, im happy to take you but you would need to get to dalhousie and that will take someone from vic to take you there and home and if they do that they may as well take you all the way.. Me i travel by myself a lot so dont mind company when i go :) unless you fly to perth but then its the problem of getting from birdsville to home.

Cuppa
23rd May 2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks Stropp, greatly appreciate your offer, but as you say I would really need a ride from someone closer to me (Vic or SA) for the exercise to be workable unfortunately.

Cuppa

Rossco
26th May 2014, 11:21 PM
OK, so it's getting pretty close now so I better lock in my plans. Me and Nicole are coming up via a stopover in Horsham to visit Nicoles mum. Not sure exactly when, thinking Thursday or Friday but may as well hook up with the Vic convoy to work out with everyone else.

Got the desert pass and flag last week, the old GQ is going into the shop for a full service this week, need to sort out the rear storage and wiring, but it's getting there. It will come up quick tho - hanging for it need a break.:biggrin: