PDA

View Full Version : Engine Warning Light

Rapson
20th December 2010, 10:01 PM
I have a 2000 3Lt DX Patrol with no user manual.

Today I started her up and a warning light came on that looked like an engine. Stopped engine and restarted and it was still on. Shut her down and checked all fluid levels and all was good. Started her again and it was out.

Had a look through one of the workshop manuals I have downloaded and have guessed it may be water in the fuel filter.

Can any one please confirm this for me as the manual I have is pretty vauge.

Cheers.

AB
20th December 2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Rapson, that would be the most common problem for the light to come on but I would definatly check your filter to see if water is in there first.

Theres a sensor in the filter that works like a float when water gets in.

Have you checked the filter yet?

Also, have a look at the thread below explaining how to read what the error is on the engine light.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?595-Reading-and-erasing-GU-Patrol-fault-codes&highlight=code

Let us know how you go too if you do this....Cheers!

Rapson
20th December 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that confirmation guys, had it happen to Hilux in years past. Will drain the filter and see how she goes.

amandrew325
10th March 2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 2000 3Lt DX Patrol with no user manual.

Today I started her up and a warning lights (http://www.stylintrucks.com/category/lighting/warning_lights.aspx) came on that looked like an engine. Stopped engine and restarted and it was still on. Shut her down and checked all fluid levels and all was good. Started her again and it was out.

Had a look through one of the workshop manuals I have downloaded and have guessed it may be water in the fuel filter.

Can any one please confirm this for me as the manual I have is pretty vauge.

Cheers.

just wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions as to what specifically may be causing the engine warning light to come on from time to time on my 3.0lt diesel GU Patrol.
Before you all reply telling me what a heap of $#%@ this engine is, and how it won't last for much longer, I already know all that!
I took it to the Nissan dealer this morning who hooked it up to their computer and said this was due to turbo pressure or lack of it, and that there may be a leak in a hose or a crack in the intercooler. I was told it would be highly unlikely that the problem would be with the turbo itself.
If anyone knows of or has had any experience with this type of problem I'd love to hear about it

YNOT
10th March 2011, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the forum, it's always nice to introduce yourself before asking questions.
You won't get people on here telling you the engine is c#$p, but we will offer advice on how to make them more reliable.

Leaking intercoolers on these motors is fairly common. Take the intercooler cover off and look for oil stains that would indicate a leak.
Do you have boost and exhaust temp guages fitted?

Tony

Rapson
10th March 2011, 11:10 PM
Welcome Amandrew325, just a quick update on my problem. Same thing happened once only. Started twice with the engine light on and on the third time no engine light and hasnt happended since....until I installed a snorkel. When I took the airbox apart I found the MAF sensor had been smashed and was held together with electrical tape! Upon reinstalling it all I had the engine light come on a couple of times until I had the conection fixed up. I also found that the water sensor in the fuel filter was disconected. In saying that the engine light could mean a lot of things, not just the intercooler. Happy hunting!

Cadbury
12th March 2011, 09:06 PM
Hi all,
I was on the motor way yes that black stuff when I saw I was running very hot and the car started spluttering a bit.
I pulled over and saw there was very little water in the radiator. I was able to pump the water from my washer bottle to the radiator to get me going again.
Since then my engine light is on. Any ideas?
Cheers
Tim

YNOT
12th March 2011, 09:34 PM
Time to check the fault codes; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?595-Reading-and-erasing-GU-Patrol-fault-codes&highlight=reading+erasing

Tony

Cadbury
12th March 2011, 11:08 PM
I tried that, but It did not display any code. The light just stayed on.

Cadbury
13th March 2011, 07:03 PM
I can't seem to test for any codes as the light just remains on,
Any ideas?

amandrew325
16th March 2011, 01:56 PM
guys thanks for the warm welcome... sorry i posted a question before introducing myself... anyway thanks for all the inputs!!:049:

nowoolies
16th March 2011, 03:19 PM
take a look at timing control valve on the front of your fuel pump
i had the same problems done all of the above tests .....me and by Nissan
and it turned out to be the timing control valve $238.80 at United Fuel Injectors

supposed to be a common problem but very hard to pinpoint so im told
anyroad it fixed my 4.2 DX