PDA

View Full Version : Planning a High Country trip

Winnie
1st May 2013, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, I have taken leave for next month the week before Queens Birthday weekend, so the Monday to Friday. Me and a mate are going to do a week long High Country now trip. That also gives us the Queen's Birthday long weekend to finish up with, which I have another unrelated trip planned for.
We will probably leave on Saturday the 1st, and I need to be in Kevington on the Friday the 7th for the other work trip.

Thinking about starting at Mansfield to see Craig's Hut and working our way during the week to Woods Point, stopping at places like Wonnangatta to do Billy Goats and Blue Rag tracks etc... Have chosen this week as it is the last week that all the track are open.

Any recommendation of routes or sights to see? I know bugger all about the history of the area or where the best sights etc are so wanna see as much as we can in the week!

Bloodyaussie
1st May 2013, 05:30 PM
I would love to meet up with you for even a part of this trip??????

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Winnie
1st May 2013, 05:51 PM
That would be awesome if you could! When we have things worked out like where we are actually going I will let you know haha

MudRunnerTD
1st May 2013, 06:02 PM
Stay clear of Mansfield Chris if you can mate. You will come home with a canary mate!

Winnie
1st May 2013, 06:03 PM
Are you serious? That bloody shits me!

Ben-e-boy
1st May 2013, 06:17 PM
make sure you save some leave for around setptember only a day or so either side of a weekend. there will be road tripping queenslanders about :)

Winnie
1st May 2013, 06:19 PM
This will be the first time I have taken leave in the 2 years I have been at my job lol, I've got heaps of leave!

Ben-e-boy
1st May 2013, 06:20 PM
This will be the first time I have taken leave in the 2 years I have been at my job lol, I've got heaps of leave!

same I have over 400hours and have already taken nearly 100 this year

MudRunnerTD
1st May 2013, 06:22 PM
Are you serious? That bloody shits me!

100% serious mate! Worst town in Australia for road worthies on 4wds. It is safe between 12 midnight and 5am. But get through and get out of there mate!

AB
1st May 2013, 06:24 PM
100% serious mate! Worst town in Australia for road worthies on 4wds. It is safe between 12 midnight and 5am. But get through and get out of there mate!

X2...long weekend all roads in and out of town stop and full check guaranteed!!!

Winnie
1st May 2013, 06:28 PM
It's no big deal to avoid it, just never been there and thought I'd stop in and have a look. Thank for that info guys!

taslucas
1st May 2013, 06:39 PM
make sure you save some leave for around setptember only a day or so either side of a weekend. there will be road tripping queenslanders about :)

and maaaaaaybe a double header too:1056:

Winnie
1st May 2013, 06:44 PM
There better be no maybe about that! Front seat in the 747 has your name on it!

taslucas
1st May 2013, 06:51 PM
I was going to follow in the green goblin! haha
Nah really, that sounds great:)

Bob
2nd May 2013, 07:54 AM
X2...long weekend all roads in and out of town stop and full check guaranteed!!!

It must because I look like an old Fuddy Duddy but I have never been pulled up for a check going through Mansfield and believe me I have been through lots & lots of times

Cuppa
2nd May 2013, 05:57 PM
Stay clear of Mansfield Chris if you can mate. You will come home with a canary mate!

Geez, sounds like some attitudes are slow to change. I got pinged in Mansfield in 1990 for driving my HQ station wagon with my elbow out of the window!:confused:

Cuppa

taslucas
2nd May 2013, 06:21 PM
Geez, sounds like some attitudes are slow to change. I got pinged in Mansfield in 1990 for driving my HQ station wagon with my elbow out of the window!:confused:

Cuppa

Yeah they like you to keep your elbow inside the vehicle while doing burnouts;-)

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
2nd May 2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah they like you to keep your elbow inside the vehicle while doing burnouts;-)

FanTapstic!

While your throwing back a dart lol

Drewboyaus
5th May 2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah, with my treatment finished I'm going to head bush for 5 or 6 days with a couple of mates too. Was thinking if heading up through the high country into NSW and ACT via Tom Groggin. On the way, want to do the Haunted Stream track but not quite sure what else is good heading in that direction.
Be looking to leave in about 2 weeks......

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Winnie
6th May 2013, 06:06 PM
Awesome Drew!

Rough plan is to stay in either Dargo or Talbotville the first and second night, then move up to Wonnangatta for a night and then head towards Woods Point and end up in Kevington. Squeezing in as many tracks as we can!

Sir Roofy
6th May 2013, 07:21 PM
Awesome Drew!

Rough plan is to stay in either Dargo or Talbotville the first and second night, then move up to Wonnangatta for a night and then head towards Woods Point and end up in Kevington. Squeezing in as many tracks as we can!

station track is for a warm up,or you could do teatree of racecourse track it will bring you back to wombat track to hernes spur or stay on wombat
till you go thru the gate then theres humfrys track steep in two places bring you back to rileys track then into the station

Winnie
6th May 2013, 07:24 PM
Awesome, something to think about. Thanks mate!

Nutta28
17th May 2013, 11:09 PM
Try abbots link/ abbots creek track near woods point and let me know what it's like. The last time I did it I had to clear a massive tree over the track and make a new track that goes throw the creek just so that we could get through. Also if it gets wet this track can get hard but as I said let me know what it's like because I haven't been up there for a long time

Ducer
20th May 2013, 07:44 PM
Heya Winnie,

We have been going up to the high country around this time for the last 3 years and always started off at Kevington pub and finished at the Wandi or porepunkah pub. This year we are off to Border track though...

How many ways can you skin a cat? So many great tracks up there! Great camping along the McAlister, and in the Buckland and Wonnangatta and many great tracks in between.

I have got google earth (kmz) files for each trip but I cant upload them onto the forum for you and everyone to see. If you like, flick me a PM with your email and I can get them across to you.

When you open the file in google earth, you will be able to see all the tracks that we had planned to do. Whether we did or not is different story... we always seem to run out of time... beer, smoko, beer, smoko... hahaha. The files have approximate lengths of tracks, names and the odd note here and there.

There is a great run into the McAlister from the top end... from memory its Grimmes onto Blue Plain (?) which comes down into the McAlister.

Anyhoos, flick me a pm if you like so I can flick those files across to you.

Cheers, Dave

PS - we are giving the high country a miss this year, too many reports of tracks that were torn apart by heavy rains last year followed by lovely 4x4'ers continuing to tear the rest of it apart. I guess, be careful which tracks you choose.

Bloodyaussie
20th May 2013, 08:02 PM
I really want to do Border track, fwark you Lucas.

taslucas
20th May 2013, 08:10 PM
I really want to do Border track?????

putting question marks after every statement makes you sound like an american teen girl in my head hahahaha

Winnie
20th May 2013, 08:12 PM
You should talk to him in real life then... it will confirm what goes on in your head LMAO

taslucas
20th May 2013, 08:13 PM
hahahahahahaha awesome and i hear he drinks like one too!

danielhobby
20th May 2013, 08:15 PM
did tea tree,hernes ,wombat,humphreys,etc on weekend.most or all were cleaned by dozer very,very recently,some were even dry and dusty from loose dust after being turned over.if my memory is correct(i was lazy and just followed this time)zeka was the only track that was still untouched.